DVDVR Message Board

The Greatest Royal Rumble - 4/27/18

Casey

I missed a few matches towards the middle (including AJ/Nak which I heard was better than the WM match) but overall it felt like a glorified house show which was about what I was expecting.  Corey Graves giving even fewer fucks than normal during the main event was the best part of it.  That and Titus' botch and Elias looking strong.

Maybe just release Roman? My god have they buried him. Even if he eventually defeats Brock, who fucking cares? They've burned Roman so badly now that it doesn't even matter. Maybe this is Vince growing tired of Roman and Braun winning the Rumble is the pivot to Braun?

I also can't believe that Titus outdid the Shockmaster. That was...that was crazy.

BTW, I don't even think DB can help Cass. They're probably expecting something like what Benoit did for Batista, except Cass doesn't have half the talent Batista has. He's just tall. Hell, watch a bunch of Sid or Kevin Nash matches and then work on your footwork. Cass moves in the ring like he just got his legs.

Oh yeah, wtf happened to DB? I had to leave early in the Rumble to go pick up my wife's nephew. When I got back DB's arm and chest were hamburger.

I really wish Titus had just stayed down there and then we never saw him again. Not because I don't like Titus but just because it would be a great storyline. Apollo could go looking for him and find him a year from now trying to convince the sewer people to join his new agency. Then he could lead a stable called Titus Underworldwide.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I'm still laughing at Titus. If he isn't lumped with a shockmaster gimmick Monday night I'm going to be so bummed. You don't get away with those things with Vince. 

Bryan getting into it with Angle (a legit dream match) and a chop fest with Roddy Strong in a WWE ring in Saudi of all places. Inconceivable a year ago

The NXT choices were...  interesting. It's like Vince growled, GIVE ME THE BIGGEST, STRONGEST GUYS YOU'VE GOT!   And someone confusedly sent Roddy Strong a plane ticket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Firstly - them running an Iran/Saudi jingoistic angle is about a million times worse than anything to do with the women. I highly recommend watching the two-part Frontline on PBS about the Iran/Saudi decades-long conflict to understand why that particular brand of agitprop was so distasteful. Secondly, the announcers going overboard with the political propaganda and Cena's speech is something that they'll probably regret one day. I get taking the money but you gotta have some say about what you want the people in your company to say.  Finally, I hope that Sami declined to go and there's no heat. I hope that the KSA didn't ban him from the country. I mean, believe me I can't imagine Zayn had any desire to be there but I hope he at least had the right to make that decision and wasn't banned by the government. 

Now the good: fun show, overall. Weird.  I mean, too long but that's par for the course.

- Hunter/Cena was one of the better matches both men have had a in a while. I mean, it's them doing the greatest hits but they kept it short-ish and didn't veer into WWE Shakespeare theater.

- AJ vs Nak was great with a shit finish but sets up a nice third match next week.

- Rusev basically did a Kamala tribute during the casket match. It was fun.

- Brock and Roman was better than the 'mania match. Finish was botched but whatever. It was good.

- Rumble was LONG but there's some weird fucking people (a random sumo, Dan Matha, RODDY STRONG, and like Babatude or whomever his name is from the NXT Coconut Loop) in there and Braun finally got a big win. It was pretty clear he was going to win. He LOOKS like a pro wrestler and will be a striking visual for newspapers across the Middle East and he's a young star that you can build around as a featured attraction since KSA events will be a yearly thing. 

So yeah, one of the stranger shows the WWE has ever put on but if you don't have any particular political issues about the circumstances I'd check it. 

• Thanks 1

Roman's pretty damn DOA now.  I'm guessing (HOPING) it's either Lashley or Braun finally dethroning Brock and rescuing the Belt.  That said, I expect Roman to go over Joe to fail to get heat back.

• Like 2

So tired of Braun. Surprised to see Brock retain but I dig the finish even if it wasn't perfect, match was like a shorter version of the WM match with an inverse of 5 Spears instead of 6 F5s. Poor Jinder basically squashed as were the Usos yet again. Ladder match was pretty fun and Styles/Nakamura was good with something behind the rivalry now.

• Like 2

I'm still shaking my head over Roman again losing. Not only that, but they've had him cut a promo twice now where he all but guarantees victory and twice now he's failed spectacularly. Like, there's a certain point where I just want the business to succeed and I want smart decisions for the business to be made even if it means someone like Roman is champ. To me, this was the last opportunity to have Roman finally defeat Brock, move on, and then start a program with someone else and not really adversely affect business.

Boy have they ever blown past that line now. If they give Roman ANOTHER opportunity and he finally wins, well, who cares? All this time spent to build Roman up and there's nothing to show for it. He didn't retire the Undertaker, he can't beat Brock, and he's a babyface who can't deliver on his guarantees. He sucks. Other wrestlers can speak glowingly of Roman and how good he is in the ring, but sorry, to me, a fan, he fucking sucks. This guy comes out and calls Brock a little bitch and then gets his ass handed to him every time out.

Whatever. I don't even know what they do now. This whole time I thought that Roman would win at WM and then Braun would defeat Roman for the title at Summerslam. Instead the Universal title remains held hostage by Bork Laser, the guy who is supposed to be the top babyface looks like a dumb turd of a person, and Raw has no real program at the top. Well done Vince.

This was honestly the first I'd heard of this company choosing to do an overseas show in the Land of Human Rights Violations. 

I don't see why there'd be uproar. I can't think of a corporation and a location that deserve each other more.

Then again, about the only group I have more disdain for than the WWE is the NFL, and that's only because of the obvious 'bratty kid brother' syndrome going on. Could they just stay there? Can we export the McMahons?

The Brock-Roman match was their worst match, easily.  They got praise for the first Mania match when Seth cashed in, so they took all the wrong lessons from that and decided:  "a WWE 2K18 simulation with a Finisher for Every Move cheat turned on"   

This with the botched finish on top of that.   This is probably the worst World-level title match since Bray-Orton.  

• Like 1

LOL Once again Chuckie T is the best of us.

You're also not kidding about this being Roman and Brock's worst match. Their first match was pretty exciting and hard hitting. It felt like there were real consequences for mistakes made and all that.

What's even more confounding is that Brock was praised for how the Goldberg and Samoa Joe matches went (the Braun match not so much because that should have been two monsters destroying the ring and everything around it). Then you watch these last two Brock vs Roman matches and they're just so...meh.

• Haha 1

I stopped after Brock/Roman since I ha no interest in the Rumble itself though I'm pleased to hear Braun won.

Ladder match was fine.

AJ/Nakamura was pretty good, easily MOTN and probably better than their WM. The finish wasn't a bad idea, but needed AJ going even harder after Nakamura and a better crowd.

Brock/Roman was better than the WM though still excessive, and Roman pretty much is dead in the water after this. I have no idea what they could even do with him at this point. Releasing him to go elsewhere for a year or just giving him the year off is about all they can do. I don't even think a heel turn could do much for him.