DVDVR Message Board

The Greatest Royal Rumble - 4/27/18

Casey

I may put it on in the background during the day at home and try to sit down and watch some of it while my kid is napping, but I'll likely wait until Sunday to watch it and then only watch the Rumble and the matches that have gotten good buzz, if any.

I also work from home and I'll turn it on then. That's how I wound up watching all of this year's WK. I setup my personal laptop next to my desk, watched it on that, and muted it whenever I'd have a conference call.

5 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Weird question perhaps, but is this likely to be on in any sports bars? I don't really want to spend time watching it on vacation, but could be persuaded if I was in a bar - a bit early for most perhaps?

Most sports bars don't even show Wrestlemania, at least in my neck of the woods. I don't even know what exhibition fees for bars are like in the network era. I guess if someone working there was a fan and had a network account they could just put it on since it would probably be a slow time of day. 

On 4/22/2018 at 2:30 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are y'all watching this live?  It's right in the middle of work,  I'll try to catch some of it on my phone but it couldn't be a worse time for me. 

as someone who is housebound while I finish up PT and also as someone who has been unable to think straight since Wrestlemania confused me so, yes, I will be watching as much of the Greatest Royal Rumble as I can stomach, because at this point I Have To Know.

I’ll be either watching this at work Friday night, or when I get home Saturday morning before I fall asleep. No way I’m staying up to watch this live, since I work 3rd shift.

• Like 1

Surprised he hasn't said anything before this about the show, but HHH did defend the show.  https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/wwe-mma-wrestling/wwe-greatest-royal-rumble-saudi-arabia-triple-h-interview-defends-no-women-wrestlers-a8319446.html

He seems cognizant of the issues people have with it and I appreciate his honestly about what they're hoping to get out of this.  But this can end one of two ways.  Either A. There is actual change and it leads to what he's hoping for or B. Things go terribly south and everybody comes out of this a loser.

14 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Surprised he hasn't said anything before this about the show, but HHH did defend the show.  https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/wwe-mma-wrestling/wwe-greatest-royal-rumble-saudi-arabia-triple-h-interview-defends-no-women-wrestlers-a8319446.html

He seems cognizant of the issues people have with it and I appreciate his honestly about what they're hoping to get out of this.  But this can end one of two ways.  Either A. There is actual change and it leads to what he's hoping for or B. Things go terribly south and everybody comes out of this a loser.

Saudi Arabia are already allowing women to compete in sports events within their country, like a marathon type event earlier this year (the winner announced she's going to try and compete at the 2020 Olympics) and a cycling race a few months ago. In 2012, Wojdan Shaherkani and Sarah Attar competed in the 2012 Summer Olympics representing Saudi Arabia. I think WWE could have pushed the issue, but it's their first time visiting the area so they likely didn't want to press their luck the first time around. It's not like there isn't a precedent for women wrestling in the Middle East (Abu Dhabi) with those bodysuits, which they'd likely have to do whenever they're allowed to compete in Saudi Arabia. The only difference in the attire is that they'd maybe have to wear a hijab - and sports companies like, for instance, Nike, already makes them.

• Thanks 1

Everything HHH said is corporate drone doublespeak bullshit.  No, you absolutely do not need to be tolerant of an intolerant system because "hey man, it's just a different culture."  Fuck all that.  If that were true, blacks would still be confined to the nosebleed seats in Memphis.  "Hey, the south is just a different culture and if they see blacks as subhumnan, who am I to judge?"  I made the reference earlier, but this is like if they'd have run a show in apartheid South Africa in the 80s.  I guess I shouldn't expect better of a dude rocking the iron cross.  Not saying HHH is a bigot, just saying the dude is a) blinded by cash and b) ignorant.

"You have to change the system from the inside" is the battle cry of zero-integrity sellouts everywhere and always has been.

Call a spade a spade: they are running a show in a misogynist hellhole built on human rights abuses, and they're holding their nose and looking the other way because their greed is boundless.  Vince will be dead in the next decade, has all the money he'll ever need, and his family is likely set for life as well, but they still want more.  It's disgusting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Didn't WWE just tour South Africa last week? The Human Rights Watch doesn't have kind things to say about that country, either. Hell, I'm pretty sure they've toured El Salvador before and that place is notoriously dangerous for women, and also commit human rights' abuses. I mean, if we get another four years of what we have right now, and things continue on the path their on politically, the World Report on HRW for the United States will be worse than it already is, and your statement could apply here as well.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Didn't WWE just tour South Africa last week? The Human Rights Watch doesn't have kind things to say about that country, either. Hell, I'm pretty sure they've toured El Salvador before and that place is notoriously dangerous for women, and also commit human rights' abuses. I mean, if we get another four years of what we have right now, and things continue on the path their on politically, the World Report on HRW for the United States will be worse than it already is, and your statement could apply here as well.

Ah, thanks for all that.  Jesus, this whole thing is depressing.

Even if KSA was abruptly as socially progressive with women and the LGBTQ community as it should be (or at least as much so as the West deems acceptable) it would still be one of the biggest human rights violators in the world. But that's the kind of thing that is more acceptable to look the other way on because it's way more geopolitically complex than not letting women drive, compete in sports, etc. I wouldn't criticize someone for watching or not watching GRR, but I do think a little perspective is in order. Representation is just one part of the story. 

My big takeaway from all this is there was apparently a price for someone to get the biggest Roster of the #1 promotion on the planet to do a live custom, screwing up the show of "moments" in the process.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Even if KSA was abruptly as socially progressive with women and the LGBTQ community as it should be (or at least as much so as the West deems acceptable) it would still be one of the biggest human rights violators in the world. But that's the kind of thing that is more acceptable to look the other way on because it's way more geopolitically complex than not letting women drive, compete in sports, etc. I wouldn't criticize someone for watching or not watching GRR, but I do think a little perspective is in order. Representation is just one part of the story. 

Amnesty International had a top 10 of sorts for human rights violators in 2017. Saudi Arabia is on there... but so is the United States, Europe, Australia, China, Russia, Turkey, etc. All places that the WWE tour in, some more than others.

I hate to keep playing devil's advocate on this issue, but let's not pretend like WWE doesn't tour in other countries around the world that aren't up to snuff with everyone's morals or whatever.

• Like 3

Lawler talked about the upcoming show on his latest podcast episode featuring Jim Cornette, who suggested WWE give a “heck of a payoff” to all of the women sitting at home with the rumored millions of dollars they’re being paid by the Saudi General Sports Authority.

The King replied, “I think that’s exactly what’s happening.”

The conversation was abruptly halted minutes later for an unknown reason and co-host Glenn Moore said they had to cut out thirty minutes worth of their conversation about Greatest Royal Rumble.

Not defending Hunter but even though his answer was obvious bullshit if you are the COO of WWE what are you supposed to say? 

"My father-in-law couldn't pass up the boatload of cash and couldn't have cared less if women are on the card or not"  doesn't have much of a ring to it..