DVDVR Message Board

The Greatest Royal Rumble - 4/27/18

Casey

2 hours ago, Brysynner said:

I’m going to be curious what the viewership for this will be. While WWE is promoting this heavily there seems to be a bit of disinterest from the fan base from what I can tell

At last night's nxt Bethlehem house show, the Saudi Rumble and Roman Reigns were booed heavily when mentioned by the ring announcer, followed by a very loud Rusev Day chant.

• Like 2

I think there's a mix of political and non-political viewpoints that are converging for people to shit on the show. There are people taking issue with the female performers situation, the people that think we got a garbage Wrestlemania main event because the Saudis bought a title change, and people that listen to podcasts or watch YouTube videos that are "anti-globalization" and froth at the mouth at any mention of KSA. Ultimately though, I don't think airing the show is that important to them and they aren't concerned with viewership. They're getting paid well and developing a market to keep getting paid. 

• Like 1

I mean politics aside lets call a spade a spade here guys.  They are getting a Wrestlemania caliber show and the majority of the audience won't give a shit or know the angles.  I will likely enjoy the show as a fun 5-6 hr afternoon break from work.  The only big complaint I have is that the card for this show is overshadowing Backlash  and how can Backlash live up to the hype of the rumble?

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 4/20/2018 at 10:47 AM, Mickie Zeidler said:

Ironic that the stage will be a cross your heart bra

Itchy, uncomfortable, and tacky as heck?

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think it all comes down to the money exchanged. For this show they are actually making a big set and everything. I'm curious what kind of money we're talking here. 

Based on the folks who follow wrestling economics - the number will be in the 2nd quarter report so probably August-ish (their 1st Quarter report is happening May 3)

9 hours ago, Web Conn said:

My big gripe is that This is getting a Network Special but Starrcade, The MSG Shows and the last show from The Joe Louis Arena did not get Network Specials.

Oh give me a break.  If all of those shows aired on the Network, you'd be only be whining about what a letdown they all were.  They shot house shows.  You can watch them RIGHT NOW ON the network. Have any of you revisited any of them since?  No?  That's why they stopped doing them.

• Like 2

It's a sold show, people - paid for by a king. WWE is not paying for the stage set-up, nor seeing any money from the tickets, or deciding about the seating of single males and families or the royal bloodline. VKM & WWE had little to say about who got booked, and it certainly affected the booking and results of WrestleMania. If it tickles the fancy of the Saudis expect a yearly out-of-continuity major show with the same restrictions and arbitrary match-ups. It's like Collision In Korea but with less sports emphasis and more sports entertainment.

- RAF

This is canon though.  I mean they can certainly change everything back once they hit the states but with 7 title matches there are going to be changes. The RAW tag titles will crown new champions for sure. 

I don't think it affected how WrestleMania was booked and I don't think the King is telling Vince who he wants to win matches. It's more likely they said something along the lines of "We want a huge event and we want all the stars to be here"  

3 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Oh give me a break.  If all of those shows aired on the Network, you'd be only be whining about what a letdown they all were.  They shot house shows.  You can watch them RIGHT NOW ON the network. Have any of you revisited any of them since?  No?  That's why they stopped doing them.

I probably wouldn’t be whining if thisevahows were on the Network.

Starrcade absolutely should have been a Special.

So we have 18 confirmed men for the Rumble (Daniel Bryan, Braun Strowman, Big Show, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Elias, Baron Corbin, Big E, Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods, Apollo Crews, Shelton Benjamin, Sin Cara, Chad Gable, Goldust, Titus O’Neil, Mojo Rawley, Dolph Ziggler). 4 not confirmed but on the poster (Mark Henry, Shane McMahons, Rey Mysterio, Great Khali). And one spot guaranteed to the winner of the KSA tryouts they are holding.

The rest of the card has 23 people announced plus the to be determined CW challenger. I'm assuming most of them not named Brock are doing double duty.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

So we have 18 confirmed men for the Rumble (Daniel Bryan, Braun Strowman, Big Show, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Elias, Baron Corbin, Big E, Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods, Apollo Crews, Shelton Benjamin, Sin Cara, Chad Gable, Goldust, Titus O’Neil, Mojo Rawley, Dolph Ziggler). 4 not confirmed but on the poster (Mark Henry, Shane McMahons, Rey Mysterio, Great Khali). And one spot guaranteed to the winner of the KSA tryouts they are holding.

The rest of the card has 23 people announced plus the to be determined CW challenger. I'm assuming most of them not named Brock are doing double duty.

You're assuming what Brock does to be pulling single duty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are y'all watching this live?  It's right in the middle of work,  I'll try to catch some of it on my phone but it couldn't be a worse time for me. 

Even if I didn't have work, I don't have any interest to watch this. I like to call this event Malice in the Palace after the Three Stooges short.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1