DVDVR Message Board

The Greatest Royal Rumble - 4/27/18

Casey

Yeah, y'know, that event from Saudi Arabia where the women aren't allowed to wrestle. Internet uproar!

Oh, and in other bad news: JR & Jerry Lawler will be the commentators.

Confirmed so far (as of 4/21/18):

1. 50-Man Royal Rumble
  2. Cage Match for the Universal Championship: Brock Lesnar (c) VS. Roman Reigns
  3. WWE Championship: AJ Styles (c) VS. Shinsuke Nakamura
  4. John Cena VS. Triple H
  5. Casket Match: The Undertaker VS. Rusev
  6. Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship: Seth Rollins (c) VS. Finn Bálor VS. The Miz VS. Samoa Joe
  7. United States Championship: Jeff Hardy (c) VS. Jinder Mahal
  8. RAW Tag Team Championships (Tag Team Eliminator Final): Bray Wyatt & "Woken" Matt Hardy VS. Cesaro & Sheamus
  9. Smackdown Tag Team Championships: Luke Harper & Erick Rowan (c) VS. Jimmy & Jey Uso
  10. Cruiserweight Championship: Cedric Alexander (c) VS. ????

It’s kind of fascinating to me to imagine how they’re handling this internally.  Are the women making the trip at all?  Are they losing out on money because of their exclusion in this “historic” event? Is Stephanie taking a back seat somehow in promoting this? 

I think I read this would be on the network, but if not, it would be some interesting “counterprogramming” to air a women’s only PPV while this was taking place.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think I read this would be on the network, but if not, it would be some interesting “counterprogramming” to air a women’s only PPV while this was taking place.

I believe it is. 12pm EST. 

26 minutes ago, Surprisingly Sincere Man said:

UAE and Saudi Arabia are different countries.

Is this airing live on the network or on a tape delay?

Not announced yet, but it looks like live. It's airing live elsewhere so they won't really incur much extra cost, and it'll be available on demand anyway.

1 hour ago, Victator said:

With so many writers, they could not find a better name?

I thought about that too but imagine Vince pitching a Saudi billionaire.

"Goddam, pal, we could give you your own Royal Rumble."

"Hmmmm..."

"I mean, not just A Royal Rumble. The Greatest Royal Rumble!"

"Deal!"

And then they worshiped the Orb.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's an interesting card of just throwing out big names without any story or anything.  I'm not going to pretend I wouldn't have complained if this wasn't on the network.  So yes of course I'm happy they are airing it.  Still bullshit if the women can't wrestle. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not announced yet, but it looks like live. It's airing live elsewhere so they won't really incur much extra cost, and it'll be available on demand anyway.

They already announced it will air live on Sky Sports in the UK and Main Event in Australia so it would be surprising if they didn't air it live in the states. Heck - the Beast from the East show was aired live from Japan.

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

They already announced it will air live on Sky Sports in the UK and Main Event in Australia so it would be surprising if they didn't air it live in the states. Heck - the Beast from the East show was aired live from Japan.

Yeah that's what I meant. I just didn't want to type what networks and countries.

That's still 48 minutes before you even get the last guy in the ring. 

If the other 8 matches average 15 with intros, that's three hours before we do a single video package or promo.

I was reading up on the stadium.  Looks like the capacity is around 62,000 for soccer.  I wonder how many people they can cram in there for this. 

The card looks like something the Sheikhs dreamed up..   We want a Royal Rumble,  those are fun.  We want all the titles. Except women.  We want John Cena vs. Undertaker.  Okay,  Undertaker is hurt.  Give us Triple H then.  

On 3/27/2018 at 1:40 AM, RIPPA said:

I didn't know this. Thanks.