DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Sakura Genesis 2018

Raziel

I love Suzuki but I think the answer is Naito.  He's so freaking over it'd be crazy to waste his run on semi-mains.  

Ospreay/Marty ruled but holy shit,  Ospreay really is determined to have a short career.  My only gripe was I felt Marty got too much damage in at the end to wind up failing. Still,  awesome match.  

After Will's busted head and then Cody I was starting to get Starrcade vibes.  It was lovely to see all this color.  

The main event was good enough.  I didn't think the end sequence matched the build.  It would have been cool to see Okada win by scoring a quick pin while a hold is applied.  Okada's reign could use a couple cheap victories.  I loved that in NXT they started doing that with Asuka vs. Ember Moon.  

So much for Tanahashi not being over as some had claimed.  It's the perfect match up.  Classic rivalry and Okada is attempting to break the defense record he's currently tied with Tanahashi;  perfect match. 

Naito's trolling of Suzuki was 10/10. 

Ospreay/Scurll to me felt really like Ishii/Elgin match from NJ Cup. Once match didn't end 1 minute after that botch I just phased out. If Scurll ended up winning by stoppage then it might have been a great match or maybe if Ospreay got lucky roll up. But now it is just whatever.

Couldn't watch main event very closely, but from what I saw it was pretty good asides of obvious issues like Okada's and Zack's selling that by this point are well documented and it is pointless to argue about them I guess. Thou can anyone confirm/deny if Zack did try to apply his Napalm Death submission that he used to win against everyone in NJ Cup? I didn't notice it and if he didn't then thats some smart booking.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I love Suzuki but I think the answer is Naito.  He's so freaking over it'd be crazy to waste his run on semi-mains.  

Ospreay/Marty ruled but holy shit,  Ospreay really is determined to have a short career.  My only gripe was I felt Marty got too much damage in at the end to wind up failing. Still,  awesome match.  

After Will's busted head and then Cody I was starting to get Starrcade vibes.  It was lovely to see all this color.  

The main event was good enough.  I didn't think the end sequence matched the build.  It would have been cool to see Okada win by scoring a quick pin while a hold is applied.  Okada's reign could use a couple cheap victories.  I loved that in NXT they started doing that with Asuka vs. Ember Moon.  

So much for Tanahashi not being over as some had claimed.  It's the perfect match up.  Classic rivalry and Okada is attempting to break the defense record he's currently tied with Tanahashi;  perfect match. 

Naito's trolling of Suzuki was 10/10. 

Haven't they established that NJPW refs won't count pins on wrestlers who are applying offense?  I remember that being mentioned at least once on commentary.

56 minutes ago, The Natural said:

So I need to see Okada vs. Sabre Jr and Ospreay vs. Scrull, yes?

The Lovers vs Cody/Page is also a must-see.  Very good Memphis-in-Japan style match.

3 hours ago, Archibald said:

Thou can anyone confirm/deny if Zack did try to apply his Napalm Death submission that he used to win against everyone in NJ Cup? I didn't notice it and if he didn't then thats some smart booking.

I am 99% sure he did not. He was going for one of his other ultra-death subs just at the end (Hurrah...etcetc) but couldn't lock it. So yeah, they still have that card to play down the line. Smart booking, as you'd expect.

That's what I thought. I guess the person who claimed elsewhere he did thought the Jim Breaks (yuck) submission is Napalm Death. Should they meet up in the G1, that will be a nice story for them to play with. 

I'm still catching up with the second half of the card, but I say this alot,

This fucking Ospreay/Scrull match is fucking atrotious and everything wrong with modern wrestling.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2018 at 5:35 PM, Raziel said:

I'm still catching up with the second half of the card, but I say this alot,

This fucking Ospreay/Scrull match is fucking atrotious and everything wrong with modern wrestling.

...Five Meltz flakes for Ospreay/Scrull, ****3/4 for Okada/Sabre Jr.