DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] March 21, 2018 TV Show

Peck

11 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That’s probably the best Cole has looked in NXT. He looked great working heel against a much larger opponent. Hopefully a sign of progress, but it’s difficult to tell — Ohno is really good at his job. 

I thought the same thing.  To me, Cole has always been solid to decent depending on who he's in the ring with, but this was the first time in NXT he really came off as something special.  How much of that was him and how much was Ohno is questionable though. 

Speaking of Ohno, they're going to do a losing streak angle with him, aren't they?

Gargano jumping Ciampa like that felt like some Dusty Rhodes vs. Colonel Parker Goons stuff, and I mean that as a huge compliment. Perfect for Center Stage. 

That tag match ruled. The one thing I could have lived without was Roddy and Dunne constantly giving each other respect nods afterwards. They did so many.

I have zero interest in anything with the Undisputed Era. That promo was awful. The slanted camera angle to denote an "edgy" alliance is so lame. I really can't believe they let Kyle O'Quinn get on television. He's one of the worst talkers in memory. Bobby Fish isn't much better. Adam Cole does a good job at playing a smug douche but it's not anything that great. I really hate that they're over, since there is no reason they are beyond "THEY WERE IN RING OF HONOR! I KNOW THEM! I WATCH RING OF HONOR!" 

Re: Dunne’s nods - I noticed them too, but just kayfabed it to myself that he wasn’t used to the strange respect feeling he was having and didn’t know how to respond.

I’ve come around on Fish, but Kyle is still trying too hard to seem like some sort of NWO cool heel to me.

10 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Speaking of Ohno, they're going to do a losing streak angle with him, aren't they?

He wins occasionally on the house show so its more a TV losing streak - that being said they clearly are going somewhere with it

On 3/22/2018 at 8:54 AM, Greggulator said:

Gargano jumping Ciampa like that felt like some Dusty Rhodes vs. Colonel Parker Goons stuff, and I mean that as a huge compliment. Perfect for Center Stage. 

That tag match ruled. The one thing I could have lived without was Roddy and Dunne constantly giving each other respect nods afterwards. They did so many.

I have zero interest in anything with the Undisputed Era. That promo was awful. The slanted camera angle to denote an "edgy" alliance is so lame. I really can't believe they let Kyle O'Quinn get on television. He's one of the worst talkers in memory. Bobby Fish isn't much better. Adam Cole does a good job at playing a smug douche but it's not anything that great. I really hate that they're over, since there is no reason they are beyond "THEY WERE IN RING OF HONOR! I KNOW THEM! I WATCH RING OF HONOR!" 

Gargano jumping Ciampa was so JCP it wasn't funny. Had they cut to a shot of Arn Anderson standing in the entrance-way smirking for no particular reason I would have been totally cool with it.

Roddy & Pete are an amazing team. I had no problem with the possible overdoing of the respect nod. I'll buy the idea that Pete isn't used to showing respect to anyone or anything so he wants to be sure to convey it. As long as he doesn't start showing up bringing buttered scones and tea, it's all good.

Fish & Kyle have made a habit of inserting themselves into other programming that I enjoy and I for one am damn tired of the announcers trying to get me to buy the concept that they are something special. You can tell me that until you're blue in the face, but at some point they're going to have to show that they're something special, and after appearing in an number of places where they've had ample opportunity to do so they still haven't, so I ain't buying it. Adam Cole is so 2004 Indy-riffic that it becomes laughable. If they showed him preparing for a match by watching late-1990s tapes of Christopher Daniels and Mike Modest I'd totally buy it. Adam Cole totally reminds me of science-fiction writer Neil R. Jones, a gent who began his career in the 1930s writing stories about space pirates who went about their business with ray-gun in one hand and their cutlass swinging away in its scabbard. This sort of nonsense was perfectly acceptable in 1933, however he was still doing it in the 1960s, well after the genre had moved on to more reasonable extrapolations based on contemporary science.  Jones wasn't a bad writer or a stupid man, he just thought that space pirates were a cool concept and couldn't understand that the rest of the field had moved on. Adam Cole is that guy that still tries to work a state-of-the-art-2004 match and doesn't understand why this fails to impress.

• Like 2