DVDVR Message Board

The Return - SDL - 3/20/2018

Dolfan in NYC

That opening pop was epic. Great crowd. And an absolutely perfect way to end the show..

I will be nervous every step of the way, but I'm so here for the comeback. Bryan is the GOAT.  It really was hard to watch someone that great at something be told he couldn't do it. I truly believe that Bryan's connection with the audience is just about the purest, most sincere thing in the history of professional wrestling. It's honest and heartbreaking and earned.  The person and the character one and the same.  The underdog.  The best.

I'm reminded of 17-year-old me driving 5 hours to Chicago to go watch The Dragon. He wasn't the underdog back then, but he was already The Best. I knew it then as I know it now and so did everyone else in that gym.

Bryan's long-term character arc basically happened in reverse. He went from ace to underdog and it worked every step of the way.  Dude is the GOAT and it's good to have him back.

• Like 5

I’d like to say I’m the biggest Daniel Bryan fan here. Bryan is one of my five favourite wrestlers ever. Waking up to the news Daniel’s cleared by WWE to return to the ring is something I didn’t see happening in the WWE. I will be nervous watching Bryan even with him passing the doctors tests.

Daniel Bryan cut two great promos, announcing his return to the ring and firing Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn. Amazing seeing Bryan getting physical, last was April 2015. Two truly memorable segments.

4 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

It really is a shame that we live in a world where everybody has to know everything, and Daniel Bryan had to come out to announce he was cleared because everybody knew anyway.  

Because if Bryan had fired Kevin and Sami and THEN they beat the shit out of him...that might be as close as you get to nuclear heat in WWE.  And then Bryan gets to cut the "I'm BACK" speech with even more fervor the next week.

I think you'd run the risk of the crowd realising "Oh shit, he's bumping. They're going to let him wrestle again" and not reacting as viscerally to the heels. This way, you get the rollercoaster of emotions, where the fact the audience were so happy only intensifies their rage

Regarding the apron power bomb, if Bryan can’t take stuff like that and not get hurt then he shouldn’t be cleared.

And Owens hasn’t hurt injured for real doing that move, so it’s pretty safe in terms of use.

Regarding that segment, hot damn. And Owens/Zayn must be delighted that this guarantees they make the main show. A tag match against a McMahon AND a returning Bryan is going to be high on the card.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed Nattie/Charlotte. I like that, although they’ve faced each other a million times, they always find ways to keep it fresh and change things up. 

It’s a shame the rest of the Smackdown women just seem to be treading water until Mania though. 

6 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

I think you'd run the risk of the crowd realising "Oh shit, he's bumping. They're going to let him wrestle again" and not reacting as viscerally to the heels. This way, you get the rollercoaster of emotions, where the fact the audience were so happy only intensifies their rage

And way more eyeballs on the show.  I think they went about it the right way.

When Daniel Bryan left, my heart really went out of wrestling. One, because I just felt so bad for the guy. Two, because I've been a fan a long time he was just another name on the long list of sad wrestling stories. And three, because my son was becoming a diehard wrestling fan and it was because of Daniel Bryan. My kid believed he could do whatever he wanted because Daniel Bryan was overcoming the odds. So watching my son cry because Daniel Bryan had to retire took a lot of the joy out of it.

This morning I woke my son up and played the youtube video of Bryan announcing the return and watched my little man get kinda choked up. Then we watched Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn(a man who held my son while a raucous Chicago crowd cheered) beat the shit out of his hero. It was a surreal moment, but all we could talk about was that moment when he drop kicked the shit out of Sami Zayn and the camera caught the fire on that guys face. I got choked up too.

Now my other son, who is  three years old, is booking Braun Strowman vs. Daniel Bryan with the action figures.

I'm all about wrestler's health and safety, but fuck it, I'm so goddamn happy Daniel Bryan is back.

• Like 16

12 hours ago, Infinit said:

...and zero faces came out to help their GM as he got beat down. And zero security came out when two fired employees committed assault. Otherwise it was great. 

Well, considering he admitted that Shane was right about Daniel enabling KO and Sami to run roughshod over the roster, I wouldn't feel too froggy about helping him either. 

21 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I'm imagining Shane reading this out loud but selling his throat injury, and I'm having a grand old time. 

I didn't watch Smackdown last week so it was the first time I saw what happened to Shane McMahon when it was replayed here. Fuck were those gasping noises he was making. Mark Henry overdue air bill?

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I didn't watch Smackdown last week so it was the first time I saw what happened to Shane McMahon when it was replayed here. Fuck were those gasping noises he was making. Mark Henry overdue air bill?

When I saw the replay again last night it reminded me of when Michael Chiklis played Curly in the Three Stooges biopic and he's on the ground having a stroke in public, but everyone's laughing because they think he's doing the Curly Shuffle. 

• Like 1

I got a good laugh from the US Title belt graphic on AJ. But man, this is like the most happy I've been watching wrestling ages. I mean I did not think the WWE would ever clear him and Bryan's first match back would be in some Indy in Ohio or something.

Seeing Bryan be able to fight back and hold court for a couple of mins was so damn amazing. And of course he gets beaten up, but who cares. The fact he took that beating was all worth it. I echo the sentiments expressed above. If this were a different time and in Memphis or maybe Atlanta, there might have been a legit riot. Ahh, what a time to be a fan.