DVDVR Message Board

The Return - SDL - 3/20/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Nakamura/Rusev was predictably good again. I dig how Nakamura is just so certain of his victory at WM. He is totally losing unless they are that worried about AJ's injury.

Charlotte/Nattie was really good, easily the best women's match on SDL in months. Still don't really want to see Carmella cash in unless its to die horribly.

Harper/Jimmy was nice enough. I just continue to dig the feud with BB. Loved the Usos' promo before the match.

Bryan's speech in the opening was fantastic. The ending with Owens and Zayn was wonderful. Bryan looked great and was clearly trying to protect himself more. Bryan/Shane vs. Owen/Zayn at WMshould be good.

29 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

So in their last ditch effort to get people to boo Kevin and Sami, they have them attack the most over person in recent history. And by gum, it worked! It was very surreal to see the crowd turn on them so quickly.

Huh? They were clearly getting boos the moment they stepped out. Murdering a returning Bryan just got them even more.

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don’t understand the qualms about the physicality here

I don't really have any qualms -- this is wrestling, if he wants to do a balcony dive like New Jack or Jun Kasai, I'll watch. At the same time I just know it won't end well. 

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't really have any qualms -- this is wrestling, if he wants to do a balcony dive like New Jack or Jun Kasai, I'll watch. At the same time I just know it won't end well. 

Not necessarily directed at you. More a reaction to the general shock over the powerbomb. 

They did their job, for sure. The heat on them was tremendous. I also loved Sami being the slightly regretful one that goes along because his crazy friend wants him to. Some of the faces he was pulling were awesome. 

Can't believe I missed Nakamura/Rusev grrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Like 1

It's to the point where I think Asuka might be the underdog at WrestleMania.    Charlotte loses a match to Nattie 3 weeks out from Mania.  She's unsure of herself. Everyone telling her she can't win.  

This is some real overcoming the odds shit they are tying to this.  Her being the one to end Asuka's streak makes no sense. 

Nattie could have walked out with the title with that cash in if it went through, despite it starting as a non title match. The Seth Rollins method has to be the most risky when you think about. 

It really is a shame that we live in a world where everybody has to know everything, and Daniel Bryan had to come out to announce he was cleared because everybody knew anyway.  

Because if Bryan had fired Kevin and Sami and THEN they beat the shit out of him...that might be as close as you get to nuclear heat in WWE.  And then Bryan gets to cut the "I'm BACK" speech with even more fervor the next week.

• Like 6

Think the stretcher deal would have been much more effective if they hadn't done the same exact thing the night before. Having Brie come out at the end in tears, etc. would have been a nice touch as well.

I feel like this is a huge contrast between Roman and Bryan.  Roman suffers from WWE's fan obliviousness. Ever since the breaking up of the SHIELD, this character suffered from WWE ignoring the fans actual perception of him. Like the idea that Vince or even the authority do not favor wrestlers like Roman Reigns yet somehow we are expected to believe that their actual ace is guys like Seth Rollins and Brock Lesnar. I have seen Roman get beaten, nearly murdered for years now, and I could give less of a shit because I know that in the end, Roman is going to come out on top or be justified in a narrative regardless. Shit, I even cheered when it happened because it was awesome. Roman is not an underdog or a hero. He is not someone to get behind, but a nearly characterless personality that WWE throws stories in to turn the perception on him. I believe that the best characters in long running shows like WWE are the ones  that we can plot from begiing to end and see the developments in them and Roman is utterly devoid of any substantial development as a character that hardly made sense. He lacks motivation and most importantly a struggle. He puts on a few good matches and that is it.

Then there is Bryan. Everything about this character can be plotted out in arcs of his character. We can see where he was in every single arc and felt compelled one way or another. He was the underdog and we know why he was the underdog. He was a cheating asshole and we know why he was a cheating asshole. And he was the guy WWE never wanted us to love and get behind and we saw why they didn't. So when Kevin and Sami beat down Bryan after his epic fight back against the two....son, I was livid. I was screaming bloody murder at the screen. Because that is Daniel Bryan that they beat up. When Daniel german suplexed Sami and started doing his now safer dropkicks...I was pumped. 

IF Daniel Bryan took over Roman Reigns spot  and wrestled Brock Lesnar, the WWE does not even have to provide a reason. They don't even have to be sound or logical. They just do it and very few of us wrestling fans would complain. In fact, a lot of us would just shrug and now eagerly watch Wrestlemania anyways. And that speaks volumes in just how bad the WWE handled Roman in that after years of building this character, that someone they thought whose career was over could easily take over and build infinitely more excitement than him. It just proves that Roman definitely is not the Guy.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ace said:

I notice DB wasn't laying those kicks in like he used to. It was nice to see.

I mean, I don't particularly care if he hurts people. I just don't want anyone hurting him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, just drew said:

I mean, I don't particularly care if he hurts people. I just don't want anyone hurting him.

Yeah but wrestling is a two way street. Him working looser is almost a prerequisite to his opponent doing the same.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, just drew said:

I've lost my taste for stiffness over time and Shibata's injury last year killed it entirely.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

But let's cut to the meat of the matter. If WrestleMania wasn't a loaded show BEFORE this week...

I'm glad I'm not the only one looking forward to the Jinder match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1