DVDVR Message Board

The Return - SDL - 3/20/2018

Dolfan in NYC

It was exhilirating seeing him flying across the ring in street clothes. And then to see that berserker face again.

Then seeing them stretcher Bryan right after his announcement was about as classic golden-age-wrestling an image/angle as you're every going to see nowadays. I could just see that Mid South crowd losing their shit but it was a goddamn WWE crowd....

Note that Daniel Bryan managed to get more heat on two heels in about 2 minutes than anyone has in the last two years. 

• Like 9

Also I love love love that Kevin Owens had to be the first person to kick Daniel Bryan in the head and when he did it his foot didn't come within a country foot of making any contact.

God Bless you, Kevin, for being a normal human being with a normal sense of anxiety/worry.

• Like 12

Bryan's back yay! Maybe I'll check out the rest of Smackdown. Rusev doesn't get a televised entrance? Huh, AJ doesn't get a televised entrance? Oh, Rusev's getting fed to Nak again. Wonder what Little Joe's up to on Bonanza. (He was a substitute schoolmarm.) 

I'n fairness I caught the end, and it was pitch perfect. 

• Haha 1

I was not comfortable at all during that entire beat down. Every corner drop kick, I was worried he'd come down on his head. I was begging them not to do Kevin's pop-up powerbomb. I was uneasy for the Heluva Kick. I don't know how much I'll be able to fully enjoy a Daniel Bryan match moving forward because I'll keep worrying about him taking one bad bump and it's all over again.

That said....it was amazing to see him get fired up, throw those kicks, show that intensity. Nobody can do it like he can. 

Oh yeah, Zayn and Owens were both missing by about a country mile on everything. One of the few times where the quick cuts helped.

Rest of the show was fairly paint by numbers. AJ and Nak need a bit more heating up, but this is probably the first match of a lengthy series anyway. 

Charlotte fucking around with Nattie and Carmella isn't gonna do much for her, either.

So in their last ditch effort to get people to boo Kevin and Sami, they have them attack the most over person in recent history. And by gum, it worked! It was very surreal to see the crowd turn on them so quickly.

And kudos to Kevin and Sami, they definitely had their working gloves on. Didn't touch D-Bry hardly at all.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Also I love love love that Kevin Owens had to be the first person to kick Daniel Bryan in the head and when he did it his foot didn't come within a country foot of making any contact.

God Bless you, Kevin, for being a normal human being with a normal sense of anxiety/worry.

The same person then powerbombed him on the fucking apron. I knew they were gonna nuke him, but that seemed pretty egregious. And of course, I'm sure it's was Bryan's idea. 

Him trying to break his neck against the bottom rope on those dropkicks just told me this is going to end badly. And then they start chanting "you still got it"... wrestling fans are weird. Shit, wrestling is just plain weird. 

Just now, Rows said:

Her and Asuka need to tag against someone, as per WWE rule

I wonder if their "rivals-thrown-together" team will miscommunicate, causing them to lose the tag match, and add to the tension leading up to Wrestlemania?!?!?!?!?

Multiple refs standing outside too like they were too scared to get in? Just don't even send them out in that case, unless you murk a few of them trying to help. 

This is the first Smackdown I've seen in ages (due to Spring Break at work) and I wasn't disappointed with what I saw otherwise. Charlotte and Nattie had a good match though the crowd sat on their hands. The women's tag let me see the Riott Squad for the first time ever and old girl has a vicious knee. The An Uso/Harper match also ended with an appropriately Hansen-esque lariat which deserved a replay. All this shit is so short though, and having to pimp commercials over your own product is sad to say the least. 

I have to believe that Bryan is beyond 100% if WWE is going to let him come back and take an apron bomb. I was there for the opening promo and that final segment. I'll feel terrible if it goes awry, but seeing one of my all time favorites make a come back was fantastic.

And I could watch Luke Harper wrestle An Uso all night.