DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2018

Dolfan in NYC

Serious question: would conceding the title last week at the champions-elect really have been any more embarrassing than getting outplayed at home by the worst team in the league?

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

Serious question: would conceding the title last week at the champions-elect really have been any more embarrassing than getting outplayed at home by the worst team in the league?

Absolutely 100% yes.

Can Mike Ashley please sell Newcastle to someone that might give Rafa at least 25 dollars to purchase players with? If it was not for Man City going to break records for points this season, he would be the Manager of the Year for getting that team into the top half of the table.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Can Mike Ashley please sell Newcastle to someone that might give Rafa at least 25 dollars to purchase players with? If it was not for Man City going to break records for points this season, he would be the Manager of the Year for getting that team into the top half of the table.

I've seen some talk for Sean Dyche and even Neil Harris, assuming they allow non-Prem gaffers to get nominated.

2 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I'm a big fan of Pep, but given the clubs he's managed with the budgets they have, he's been setup to succeed.

Secretariat didn't ride himself. Just saying.

Guest Edwin
11 hours ago, Pete said:

Secretariat didn't ride himself. Just saying.

Sure, give any good/decent manager the opportunities to manage the clubs Pep has with the budgets he's had and there's a high chance they'll be just as successful.

I like Pep a lot, but he managed one of the best squads of all-time with Barça including one of the (if not the greatest) player of all-time, the best German club in the history of the league and an English club with a humongous budget. It's hard to really judge how great of a manager he is when those are the clubs he's managed.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Report: $700 million Harlem River Yards mega-project to include 26,000-seat soccer stadium

Could this finally be the answer to NYCFC's perpetual stadium woes? Face front, true believers!

That rendering doesn't look like there is much room for growth. MLS is a growing league, but this is NYC. They should be looking at a 35-40k stadium with potential to expand further down the road. I think theyre undercutting their potential revenue by going small / average MLS size venue.

11 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

That rendering doesn't look like there is much room for growth. MLS is a growing league, but this is NYC. They should be looking at a 35-40k stadium with potential to expand further down the road. I think theyre undercutting their potential revenue by going small / average MLS size venue.

I think 26K is perfect although supposedly it would be expandable. Worse case scenario, they move the bigger games like the Color War to Yankee Stadium like Montreal does with Stade Olympique.

Guest Edwin
4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

He underacheived at Bayern. 

How so?

He won 3 league titles and 2 league cups in his 3 seasons there.

His predecessor won the league, the cup and the Champions League in the season immediately before he got there. Since he left, they won the league twice in two seasons, and have made the cup final this year. The argument can be made that his lack of success in Europe means he underachieved.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

Fair, reasonable and understandable. Admittedly, I don't follow or know enough about Bayern or German football in general. I just thought he would be considered successful given his achievements there.