DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2018

Dolfan in NYC

If you were Liverpool - Do you go after Alisson or Donnarumma this summer? I would also look at beefing up the front and getting another elite striker alongside Mo. Liverpool was dominating when he went down... And then the world saw they really lacked depth.

Fekir is the attacking target though I wouldn't mind another player up front that is comfortable on either flank. Fekir can play as a 10, false 9, and on the wing but he's more comfortable in the middle. Another winger to rotate Mane and Salah would be nice. Woodburn's development has seemingly stalled for now, so he'll probably be loaned out. Kent is another promising player but I don't think you can head into a season with him as your primary backup for a star. Ox can of course play on either wing but really started to find his form in the center of the park before his injury and won't be back until November at best.

Oblak is the rumour of the day after (A) Cafu tweeted out that he believes Madrid is in for Alisson and (B) Roma is asking for 90 million euros for Alisson. Oblak has yet to put pen to paper on his new contract with the PSG-sized release clause, so there's a chance Liverpool plunks down the release fee or barters with Atletico. Oblak would be akin to Fabinho, in that most Liverpool supporters thought him to be out of our league and is a seriously world class player.

Don't know if they target another defender. May need a backup left back if Moreno leaves in order to find first team minutes, plus he's Alberto Moreno. 

All in all, if we can add somebody like Fekir and one of those top class keepers on top of Keita and Fabinho, we'll finally be ready for a serious title challenge for the next little bit. Nice depth and high end quality throughout the pitch. First time the team would have that kind of balance in nearly a decade and even the '09 side's defence had questions. 

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
10 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

If you were Liverpool - Do you go after Alisson or Donnarumma this summer? I would also look at beefing up the front and getting another elite striker alongside Mo. Liverpool was dominating when he went down... And then the world saw they really lacked depth.

Alisson is far better than Donnarumma, so Alisson.

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Oblak is the rumour of the day after (A) Cafu tweeted out that he believes Madrid is in for Alisson and (B) Roma is asking for 90 million euros for Alisson. Oblak has yet to put pen to paper on his new contract with the PSG-sized release clause, so there's a chance Liverpool plunks down the release fee or barters with Atletico. Oblak would be akin to Fabinho, in that most Liverpool supporters thought him to be out of our league and is a seriously world class player.

If Oblak walks, he's going for 100M+. He is by far the best GK in the world with Ter Stegen right behind him. Yes, better than De Gea.

He's won 3 back-to-back Zamora trophies and has been huge for Atleti when the defense has slowed down as the season has progressed.

Do you guys genuinely follow Ligue 1 or is the Fabinho hype on here based on a handful of games and highlights?

Used to when I had more passion for the sport and it became even more evident that money = success. But, yeah, I'm relying on stats and a handful of games. He's quite elegant for a long bastard and reminds me of the defensive version of Yaya. From what I've seen, he doesn't really seem to have much in the way of flaws. He's tall, dominant in the air, yet not slow by any means. He's got a heck of a well timed tackle and uses his long legs to reach the seemingly unreachable balls. But he's also very good tactically and technically. He's the Monte Ellis of football. Fabinho has it all. 

Also, oblak has a release clause as it stands. I think it's around 100m euro, so he won't be going for anything over that should a club go for him. 

Guest Edwin
2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Also, oblak has a release clause as it stands. I think it's around 100m euro, so he won't be going for anything over that should a club go for him. 

Yeah, Oblak's release clause is currently 100M and he's signed until 2021. After the Europa League he said it's up to the clubs decision if they want to keep him or not. I know they already made an offer to him which will or should increase his release clause.

There is talk they are looking at the usual targets as his replacement -- Donnarumma and Alisson as expected and Leno in case they can not come to an agreement with him.

Guest Edwin

I'm baffled by Zizou walking.

I thought he was going to get sacked when Madrid was struggling in the league and Copa, before he managed to save the season with another Champions League title, but I never imagined him stepping down on his own.

2 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

He probably feared getting sacked next season. There's no guarantee you will save another season without national titles by winning CL. He's leaving as a legend and at highpoint in his coaching carreer. Clever move.

This and the pressure of managing Real Madrid.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Patrick Vieira officially leaving NYC FC to become the head man at Nice

Hope he enjoyed the Open Cup beatdown we gave him as a parting gift!!!

17 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I saw that - how the hell did he get that job after his lackluster spell with The Pidgeons? 

Apropos of nothing, NYCFC is actually selling Pigeon merchandise at the stadium (shirts, scarves and socks). I fell out.

• Like 1