DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2018

Dolfan in NYC

So, the 2026 World Cup... The choice will be made on June 13th.   Morocco is bidding to host, and their opponent is the three-headed monster of the USA, Canada, and Mexico.   

To wit...  The United bid has announced 23 cities that are finalists to host games if we get the Cup:   

Canada:

• Edmonton
  • Montréal
  • Toronto

Mexico:

• Guadalajara
  • Mexico City
  • Monterrey

United States:

• Atlanta
  • Baltimore
  • Boston
  • Cincinnati
  • Dallas
  • Denver
  • Houston
  • Kansas City
  • Los Angeles  (both the Rose Bowl & New LA Rams Stadium)
  • Miami
  • Nashville
  • New York/New Jersey
  • Orlando
  • Philadelphia
  • San Francisco Bay Area
  • Seattle
  • Washington DC

I'm a little surprised by the lack of Chicago and Portland.

I'm guessing New LA Stadium would get the finals (especially since it's expandable to 100,000).  And I'd think they'll pare this down a little further. 

I wonder if Chicago and Portland aren't partaking for the same reason Vancouver isn't: uncertainty in how much it will cost and not wanting to bend to every whim of FIFA. I'm okay with that. We'll always have that rad 2007 U-20 World Cup with Aguero, Mata, Di Maria, Vidal, Cavani, and FREDDY ADU among others.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So, the 2026 World Cup... The choice will be made on June 13th.   Morocco is bidding to host, and their opponent is the three-headed monster of the USA, Canada, and Mexico.   

To wit...  The United bid has announced 23 cities that are finalists to host games if we get the Cup:   

Canada:

• Edmonton
  • Montréal
  • Toronto

Mexico:

• Guadalajara
  • Mexico City
  • Monterrey

United States:

• Atlanta
  • Baltimore
  • Boston
  • Cincinnati
  • Dallas
  • Denver
  • Houston
  • Kansas City
  • Los Angeles  (both the Rose Bowl & New LA Rams Stadium)
  • Miami
  • Nashville
  • New York/New Jersey
  • Orlando
  • Philadelphia
  • San Francisco Bay Area
  • Seattle
  • Washington DC

I'm a little surprised by the lack of Chicago and Portland.

I'm guessing New LA Stadium would get the finals (especially since it's expandable to 100,000).  And I'd think they'll pare this down a little further. 

Chicago wasn't interested in hosting duties this time after being told about FIFA's requirements.

(F)our major cities – Chicago, Minneapolis, Vancouver and Glendale– told Fifa and the United Bid they didn’t want to be part of a World Cup. Local authorities from those cities cited heavy-handed requests from Fifa and the United Bid that included potentially huge taxpayer bills, as well as hosting contracts that exposed their cities and residents to immense financial and legal risk.

Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel announced on Wednesday that Chicago was out – even if the bid was successful. A city official told the Guardian that although Chicago considered itself a “big event city” the requirements for the 2026 tournament “just didn’t feel right”. One demand from Fifa was that the organization could require Chicago to construct a dome over Soldier Field, the venue that hosted the 1994 World Cup opening game and would have hosted matches in 2026.

Fifa’s requirements also included an open-ended ability to modify the agreement at any time; no indemnity to protect the city or taxpayers from legal and financial risks; for Chicago to meet requirements that fall outside of its jurisdiction and authority and therefore could not be ensured; and for contracts to be governed and interpreted under Swiss law (Fifa is headquartered in Zurich).

On 3/20/2018 at 9:11 PM, Death From Above said:

Can't wait to see what cobbled together drywall monstrosity passes for the 7th best stadium in Morocco.

Probably built by the same designer of that stadium in Ghana that collapsed like 15 years ago.

Guest Edwin

I'm gonna be in Barcelona for their World Cup opener against Portugal... I hope they get their things sorted out and I can watch the game at La Rambla with the locals.

I'll also be visiting the Santiago Bernabéu that week and the Camp Nou the day after the game. Plus I'll hopefully be going to the Allianz Stadium, the San Siro, Casa Milan, the Wanda Metropolitano, the Benito Villamarín and the Mestalla. I wanted to go to the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán, but the days I'm in Seville there's no tours.

37 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The reason your lot are so happy the Cosmos are dead is because it means they can't beat you in the Open Cup again.

I was actually complimenting the ESC dude who busted him on it, but whatever makes you feel good. You do you. 

This coming from a guy who also goes to "your lot" games on the regular... :lol: 

• Haha 1

I thought the guy was a city supporter, but I didn't recognize the Twitter because Twitter is a cesspool and I avoid it pretty much at all cost. Fair play. And I go to your games to root for the other team (except the scum because fuck them) :-)