DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Ultimately Deleted - 3/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

And in a couple of weeks, about 70,000 of those people from that "certain segment" of the crowd will be at WrestleMania, booing the fuck out of Roman Reigns and cheering the guy that's about to leave in a few months.

• Like 2

Just now, Casey said:

And in a couple of weeks, about 70,000 of those people from that "certain segment" of the crowd will be at WrestleMania, booing the fuck out of Roman Reigns and cheering the guy that's about to leave in a few months.

Nah dude, that's still just a small segment of fans...

I really don't understand any defense of Roman. It makes no sense. Is it wanting to believe he's better than he actually comes across? Are a few of you just that much of a fan for the guy so the arguments against Roman ring hollow?

And at WM, if we're lucky, it will wind up being like Brock vs Goldberg from 20.

This is what Vince thinks of all of you whining about 70,000 people booing Reigns to cap off their 3 year temper tantrum:

Spoiler

c8e.gif

This is the shit that we spent the last 10 years with Cena happening.  If you really hate Roman's push that much, don't watch, don't sub, don't be one of the 70,000 people buying Mania tickets.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Jesus Christ...I should have listened to Rippa and others when they pointed out that them getting this right for one week doesn't mean they finally figured out how to get Roman over as a face. They've completely fucked him up. Again. And worse than before!

Week 1: Perfect booking. Roman speaks the truth, does an obviously scripted "pipe bomb" and it's like, hell yeah man, you're right! Fuck Brock!

Week 2: Roman says some similar stuff, this time calls out Vince McMahon, gets suspended and...THAT'S IT?!? Are you fucking kidding me? You're just going to leave just like that? No fighting back? You're not coming back later in the show? Vince is going to say he'll be respected and you just respect him? What kind of shitty ass face are you? It's like WWE creative has no clue what type of WWE face gets over the most and it sure as hell isn't the kind that respects their boss.

Week 3: This reminded me so much of the stuff with Braun and Roman that I bet creative thought that if it worked before then surely it will work again with having Brock destroy Roman. Except it doesn't work. Not one bit. So not only did they have Roman leave like a good little boy after his daddy grounded him, he comes back through the crowd IN HIS FUCKING RING GEAR because nothing says suspended and not being in the building like showing up in your ring gear like a fucking dork, and then he gets his ass beat by Brock.

They want so badly to have Roman be this Cena-like dude and he's not fucking remotely close. It's astonishing how this company never learns and even when the lesson is so easy and the template is so easy to follow they just botch it anyway. Roman is fucked. My interest in Roman vs Brock has serious dipped over the last couple weeks after being on a sugar high that first week.

So the guy WWE wants you to desperately see as the top babyface talks shit about Brock, talks shit about Vince, gets suspended by Vince and does nothing to retaliate, he just walks out of the building, and then he gets his ass beat for talking shit about Brock. Roman is objectively the worst face imaginable.

Meanwhile, the guy who should be the top baby face destroys sets and semi trailers when he gets suspended, he backs up his words, he has no quit in him, and he's like something from a Mastodon album with the tenacity of an unstoppable killing machine.

WWE more often than not.

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

This is what Vince thinks of all of you whining about 70,000 people booing Reigns to cap off their 3 year temper tantrum:

Reveal hidden contents

c8e.gif

This is the shit that we spent the last 10 years with Cena happening.  If you really hate Roman's push that much, don't watch, don't sub, don't be one of the 70,000 people buying Mania tickets.

Unsubscribing doesn't matter because they just throw out free subscriptions to artificially inflate their numbers and then they can boast that 1.5 million are subscribed. The problem with not buying tickets is that someone else is going to buy them. You have to buy tickets so far in advance that you're buying to just go to WM. Roman isn't a draw. These people aren't going out of their way to buy a ticket just because they know Roman is going to be over. They're going to be a part of the spectacle. I don't know how you combat that part of it.

The flip side of what you're saying is that if it makes people that unhappy week to week then fucking book him right. It's about consistency. How many times do we have to see them fuck up the build for Roman only to then reverse course at some point until they shit the bed again. Strap the rocket to this guy and let him fly and beat ass.

And the last 10 years of Cena was a walk in the park comparatively. You can go back and look at those years and see that he was a pretty good face, there was consistency to him, he didn't always lose and when he did it meant something. Does it mean anything when Roman loses now?

They want to have their cake and eat it too with Roman. They want a bad ass Stone Cold rebel but the also want a squeaky clean face like Cena in his heyday so they have him beat up the cops but only after complying like a goody goody first. By going for both extremes, they actually negated each other and left him looking like a dork. 

Well, the whole thing is that everyone has really known that Roman was Main Eventing Mania for a year, and has the past 3 years.  They're still buying tickets.  So until people stop buying Tickets, Vince is gonna keep being Vince and doing what he's doing.  WWE turned in a profitible year.  Until that changes, nothing does.  So, yeah, you can yell and scream and stomp that Hating Roman turned from a tantrum into a meme, but in the end, you're still giving Vince money for the product, so why should he change direction.

Mania 2000 ended the "Mania needs to end with the Face standing triumphiant" streak, so that's over.  It's Vince's world, we're just watching it.

22 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Reveal hidden contents

c8e.gif

Aw, shucks, WWE got $10 out of me. Whoop de fuckin' doo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Aw, shucks, WWE got $10 out of me. Whoop de fuckin' doo.

And the ticket money of the 70000+ that are gonna boo the guy in the main.  And he'll have the money of the 82,000 that buy tickets next year.  The "All these people are gonna shit on the Main Event" argument means nothing so long as people blindly buy Mania tickets for the Specticle before a card even is announced.

55 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The crowd literally chanted "You deserve it!" to a guy who had been beaten up while handcuffed and strapped to a gurney. 

As opposed to no reaction aside from what that Bayley and Sasha got. Hey, I'll be happy to be wrong and the crowd will be at Hogan/Rock levels if Bayley and Sasha square off at the end of the battle royale. I'm pretty sure though that Brock/Roman is gonna have a ton of crowd heat. I just don't think it's gonna be Goldberg/Brock at XX. I mean, don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's getting over as in "Roman is finally Steve Austin." What I mean is it's getting over in that the crowd gives a shit about this as a top-level program.   

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

The 2014 EC match is in the argument for greatest WWE match of all-time. 

O_o ... for a second, I thought this meant the Chamber match itself.  Holy fuck, am I relieved.

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Bray has been in two of the five best matches of the decade. Wyatts/Shield is an all-time great feud. The 2014 EC match is in the argument for greatest WWE match of all-time. The Raw rematch and a bunch of others in that series (and re-visits years later) are all insanely good. Bray was the foil for Daniel Bryan's "Pop of the Decade" when Bryan finally got him alone in the cage. Their Royal Rumble match was Bryan's best match during his best run. 

The dude is awesome. Thankfully, he's a great enough performer for them to get him into good stuff at anytime he want. 

6 minutes ago, nate said:

O_o

I briefly thought @Greggulator was talking about the Elimination Chamber match on the show but he's talking about Wyatt Family vs. Shield from it. I'll back Greggulator here. I had a go at a list of the Greatest WWF/E Matches ever and it placed #7 for what it's worth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Well, the whole thing is that everyone has really known that Roman was Main Eventing Mania for a year, and has the past 3 years.  They're still buying tickets.  So until people stop buying Tickets, Vince is gonna keep being Vince and doing what he's doing.  WWE turned in a profitible year.  Until that changes, nothing does.  So, yeah, you can yell and scream and stomp that Hating Roman turned from a tantrum into a meme, but in the end, you're still giving Vince money for the product, so why should he change direction.

At this point, the arguments are circular and those on either side will never agree. Anti-Roman folks talk down to Roman fans and assume they're sheeple. Roman fans think anti-Roman folks are crybabies and bristle at their fanship being under attack. Neither side is completely right or wrong.

Thing is, what any of us think doesn't matter. You're correct in all your statements.

• Like 1

I mean ok but Gregg's second example (the Bryan/Bray vs Usos cage match) was an ok but nothing special match that ended with that stupid "Daniel Wyatt" angle being tossed aside and a previously dead crowd suddenly coming to life and getting behind Bryan in a big way.

It was an extremely cool moment and definitely notable but "best match of the decade" isn't even remotely the conversation it belongs in.

• Like 1

The way I read it, he was just commenting on how Bray was an important part of Bryan getting that huge pop. He didn't say the match was stellar or anything - but he did sing the praises of the Wyatt/Bryan match at the Rumble, which I remember hating, but probably only because he wasn't in the Rumble at all. Definitely don't think it was one of (or THE) best matches in Bryan's run, either.

I actually don't agree with the Wyatts/Shield six mans being in the conversation for GOAT WWE matches, either, but there's a time and place for that probably.

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

The way I read it, he was just commenting on how Bray was an important part of Bryan getting that huge pop.

He WASN'T, though. The crowd wasn't cheering evil heel Bray Wyatt being (temporarily) vanquished. They were cheering Daniel Bryan being back. It's why a couple weeks later at the Rumble the crowd barely cared when Wyatt beat him in their singles match blowoff, but the crowd went into full revolt when Mysterio came out at #30 in the Rumble match.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

You have to buy tickets so far in advance that you're buying to just go to WM. Roman isn't a draw. These people aren't going out of their way to buy a ticket just because they know Roman is going to be over. They're going to be a part of the spectacle. I don't know how you combat that part of it.

There's substantial evidence out there that Roman isn't a draw.  I don't have the numbers in front of me but I know for a fact that the WrestleMania in Dallas was NOT selling very well and business only picked up when it was announced that Undertaker would be fighting Shane in a Hell in a Cell.  

Then you look at television ratings and they are pretty stable except that there's clear evidence Braun's segments often do better than anyone else. 

Then you look at house show numbers and live attendance for RAW and PPVs and they are all down across the board since Cena went part time. 

I don't dislike Roman Reigns the performer or the person.  But this latest superman push is not working.  

2 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

At this point, the arguments are circular and those on either side will never agree. Anti-Roman folks talk down to Roman fans and assume they're sheeple. Roman fans think anti-Roman folks are crybabies and bristle at their fanship being under attack. Neither side is completely right or wrong.

Thing is, what any of us think doesn't matter. You're correct in all your statements.

I'm just here for the Kyuubi-lite multi-paragraph tantrums and I haven't been disappointed yet. 

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dallas doesn't speak for everyone.  Women's wrestling has gotten great reactions in other venues. 

Dallas especially doesn't speak for the rest of Texas, that's the worst place in the state.

I'm really curious to see who Braun's partner is going to be. A returning Big Show?

"YOU WANT ME TO HAVE A PARTNER? FINE!"

*Braun walks around tearing shit apart like he does.*

"HEY YOU! YOU'RE MY NEW PARTNER!"

*Camera pans over and it's James Ellsworth*

(***)

"YOU JUST STAND THERE AND I'LL DO EVERYTHING."

• Like 7