DVDVR Message Board

If you could change the finish to any Wrestlemania match which would it be?

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So, the Cactus/Hak Texas Death match where he got knocked loopy and wouldn't stay down, only with Savage? I can dig it haha

BTW, if you've never seen that please do, it's hilarious. Foley cracks him with what he doesn't think is a real frying pan and Sandman keeps kicking out... and kicking out... and kicking out...

Exactly. I've seen it and it's crazy. Foley just keeps ddt'ing him, chairshots, etc and Sandman just won't stay down. 

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Michael Cole is the absolute shits. "And the streak... is over," like it was read from a script (because it probably was).

I was under the impression he didn't know the finish and was about to say "continues"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Exactly. I've seen it and it's crazy. Foley just keeps ddt'ing him, chairshots, etc and Sandman just won't stay down. 

Hate to say this but maybe he should have hit him with the pan again? It couldn't be worse than anything Foley did to himself later, after all. 

Savage vs. Sandman is a maybe kinda sorta great lost match. They could have even had it in WCW! I'm just envisioning Savage coming off a ladder with the elbow and drooling

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Then why did he not say it with a tinge of human emotion? 

I think he was just as surprised as we were.

It's not a great call but it's not nearly his worst.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

You're giving credit to the theory that Cole is a human.

personally, i wouldnt change any wm result at all. they're designed to be the way they are. wouldnt change a thing.

From what I recall, no one was told the finish for Brock/Taker beyond the participants and the production people just so the music and camera cues would be ready. And even then, while the finish didn't get leaked, there was murmuring right before the show that something significant was going to happen. 

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Two theories:

Michael Cole is actually a robot.

...or he is human, but having Vince McMahon screaming in his ear on a weekly basis has made him desensitized to any human emotion

• Like 1

I wouldn't have changed the actual result of the Bret/Yoko match at WM10 but I'd have changed the structure and announcing of it. I think they were going for the "Yoko was knocked loopy by Luger earlier and slipped b/c of it" angle but IIRC, the announcers never talked it up and Yoko only sold it as such briefly. Kinda made Bret's win look like a fluke when it could've been a much more nuanced story. Doesn't take away from the pop Bret's win got or anything, it's just something that's always been a personal pet peeve of mine.

3 hours ago, cool arrow said:

Not changing the result, but I would've preferred Savage pinning Flair clean with the elbow at Mania 8, instead of the inexplicable punch-and-handful-of-trunks finish.

Yeah, but that was how Flair lost title matches back then - never with a finisher, always an inside cradle or a backslide or a sunset flip. It kept him stronger that way; I guess him dropping the belt to Bret via sharpshooter was meant to be a signifier that he was done at the top in the WWF.

On a similar note, I get that it played into Eddy's gimmick, but I really wish he had gotten a more decisive win over Angle at 20. Hit the frog splash and get the pin without it looking somewhat fluke like.

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I remember just buzzing as he climbed. I knew that's what he was going for, I knew he had done it in OVW, I knew it was going to be awesome.

And then I thought he was dead.

I know Angle wanted that big match, but given injuries or should’ve been a Brock squash and Angle takes six months off then returns as monster super technician Angle for a rematch.

That long a match was bad for both.