DVDVR Message Board

If you could change the finish to any Wrestlemania match which would it be?

13 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Yeah, I agree with first post. Taker's streak should have been ended by Orton in 2005 if you're limited to existing matches that happened. Cena in 2007 would have been a good choice.

Refresh my memory if you will... Was the streak even being talked about as a major thing in 2005? Seems to me that might have been around the earliest time they realized they actually had something marketable that had pretty much happened just by accident.

8 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Refresh my memory if you will... Was the streak even being talked about as a major thing in 2005? Seems to me that might have been around the earliest time they realized they actually had something marketable that had pretty much happened just by accident.

Streak was first really talked about after X-Seven, think it was 10-0 after Flair (point made of him raising the fingers after match to indicate that), the 2003 match was around whether Nathan Jones would lose Taker his streak, XX not really mentioned due to him coming back as the Dead Man. 05 was the first time it was the real focus. Orton really floundered from there for quite a while - not really his fault, as the HHH program bombed, and the rushed heel turn that eventuated from it.

• Like 1

I just watched WM 11 the other day, and they mentioned as Taker was coming to the ring that he was undefeated at WrestleMania there. That was only his, what?, 4th Mania match at that point? 

And RolandTHTG beat me to it by seconds that the Flair match was the first time they really mentioned it as something special as he was 10-0 at that point.

1 hour ago, MonteCarl said:

I just watched WM 11 the other day, and they mentioned as Taker was coming to the ring that he was undefeated at WrestleMania there. That was only his, what?, 4th Mania match at that point? 

And RolandTHTG beat me to it by seconds that the Flair match was the first time they really mentioned it as something special as he was 10-0 at that point.

Yes, WM11 was Taker's 4th WM. The streak almost never came to be. I've read that Giant Gonzalez was supposed to win at WM9, but it got changed to the chloroform rag DQ finish.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Everything fell apart, but the booking was logical enough. Brock ends the streak to make him the biggest threat/heel ever. At SummerSlam he destroys the crowd's most beloved favorite Daniel Bryan to prove he really is the most unstoppable force ever. Somewhere in there he demolishes John Cena to avenge his only unanswered loss since coming back and further cement his run as the most dominant ever.

Then Roman beats him to kickstart a brand new era. On paper, it's all good stuff.

You had me until "Roman kickstarts new era"  

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You had me until "Roman kickstarts new era"  

Well, if you're looking at it from 2018, yeah.

But when they were setting this all up in early 2014, The Shield were red-hot, Roman had gotten massive fan support at the Rumble, and had just turned face. There was no reason to think then that he wasn't a pretty good bet to be the top star.

10 hours ago, OSJ said:

It was mentioned and it was viewed as important but it wasn't this overwhelming thing that it evolved into whereby you expected a certain level of workrate and drama around the match but could similarly telegraph the fact Taker was going over. At the time of the match there was no wrong choice for who went over as there was still mileage in the streak and Orton was given the rub just by going toe to toe with him, but with the benefit of how the streak actually ended I'd now lean toward Orton going over.

I don't think Cena needed to end the streak, he got put over hard by every other major name during his time on top so ending the streak would've been nothing but another feather in his cap.

14 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The story (clips no longer work).

Some footage.

It's awesome. Matsunaga was such a bad ass, partaking in the first Japanese deathmatch in '89 and being surly for like 20 years. I hated the scorpion death matches but other than that, he's the man. Mr. Danger > Mr. Pogo by 1000.

Duuuuuude, I ain't never watched Zero-1 in my life nor any puro since Misawa died, but I'm all in on that. Gonna try and find those matches this weekend

Ugh, it's not changing a finish, but if they really wanted to kick start an era, then the best thing would have been a Shield triple threat match for the WWE title at 31. It requires a lot of booking changes, namely not turning Seth heel, but there was never a better chance to do the Shield triple threat match than at WM 31.

Boy, Brock has made the booking worse for years now. I would gladly give up cool moments like Brock destroying Cena at Summerslam if it means no Brock vs Roman at WM 31 and no Brock ending the streak.

Another finish that I would change is Macho going over Crush at WM X. They did nothing with Macho Man afterward and putting over Crush would have gone a long way towards rehabilitating him.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Another finish that I would change is Macho going over Crush at WM X. They did nothing with Macho Man afterward and putting over Crush would have gone a long way towards rehabilitating him.

I'd change the finish to something better than "hate filled brawl to the death ends with one guy hogtying the other to a scaffold and then running away," but that's just me ;)

I'm sure Randy would've done it if someone had suggested that for the finish. The flying axe handle off the top of that mega cage during Piper/Hogan in WCW is still one of the craziest leaps I've seen in wrestling.

A sorta healthy Randy Savage in the indies would have been epic. Stereo balcony dives with him and New Jack. New Jack goes for a splash while Savage hits an elbow.

Now I'm bummed we never got truly unhinged and unfiltered Randy Savage in the independents. I mean, I'm sadder that he's gone, but him doing shit on the indies instead of wasting away in WCW would have been great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

A sorta healthy Randy Savage in the indies would have been epic. Stereo balcony dives with him and New Jack. New Jack goes for a splash while Savage hits an elbow.

Imagine if Savage makes a pit stop in ECW prior to going to WCW. Savage vs. Sabu would have been the match I wanted to see. What an insane brawl that would have been. Not to mention Savage promos that might have been more cocaine fueled than his WWF ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Imagine if Savage makes a pit stop in ECW prior to going to WCW. Savage vs. Sabu would have been the match I wanted to see. What an insane brawl that would have been. Not to mention Savage promos that might have been more cocaine fueled than his WWF ones.

Macho dropping 10 elbows on Sandman not because the storyline is that just a couple of big elbows isn't enough to put Sandman down ala Warrior at WM7 but because Sandman is too drunk to remember the finish and Macho is legitimately trying to put him out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So, the Cactus/Hak Texas Death match where he got knocked loopy and wouldn't stay down, only with Savage? I can dig it haha

BTW, if you've never seen that please do, it's hilarious. Foley cracks him with what he doesn't think is a real frying pan and Sandman keeps kicking out... and kicking out... and kicking out...