DVDVR Message Board

If you could change the finish to any Wrestlemania match which would it be?

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I listen to that on Fridays also or I save it for Saturday if I have housework to do. I typically just like having podcasts on as I work. I wish there were more comedy oriented wrestling podcasts.

Marty and Sarah Love Wrestling is actually done by two comedians, but it's really an acquired taste.  I enjoy it but I can definitely see how YMMV.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Sweet Zombie Jesus why does anyone still listen to that dumb fucking show?

I enjoy Bruce's perspective most of the time, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

Though his defense of the Booker-Hunter shit is the most egregiously stupid thing I've heard from him in a while. But I don't listen to every episode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

They wrestled at a 1991 King of the Ring house show.  The footage is out there, but trust me, whatever is in your head is way better than what they actually did.

Ah, forgot about the 1991 return run for Steamboat. Unless that match has Dibiase try to stuff a dollar in Steamboat's mouth, only for Steamboat to blow fire into Dibiase's face, then no thanks. 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I enjoy Bruce's perspective most of the time, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

Though his defense of the Booker-Hunter shit is the most egregiously stupid thing I've heard from him in a while. But I don't listen to every episode.

I gave it up a long time ago.  Then one day, I had nothing else to listen to, so I DL'd the Survivor Series 1987 episode.  I was treated to this gem: Vince wasn't counterprogramming Starrcade!  The cable companies were the ones who asked Vince to put on another PPV.  Besides, Vince started the whole "wrestling on PPV" thing, so it belongs to him and he should be able to do whatever he wants if someone else tries to compete in that arena.

I stopped the pod and deleted it pretty soon after. 

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

How on earth does anybody believe a word that guy says? So full of shit his eyes are brown.

I posted about it on the F4W board and Conrad's response was, "we all know he's a liar, but you're essentially getting Vince's side of every story, so this is the closest thing we'll ever have to a Vince McMahon weekly podcast." 

I can sort of understand that perspective, but it's not a Vince podcast.  Listening to a weekly podcast where an unhinged Vince tells his detatched-from-reality side of the story would be great because there'd be some earnestness to it. You'd know Vince at least believes his own bullshit.   But Bruce just telling lie upon lie to spin things in Vince's favor is just sad.  He comes off like a guy who is so desperate to not offend "the old man" because he thinks he might get one more run "up north" that he just outright lies to paint Vince in the best possible light.

• Like 1

Bruce being so full of shit is what makes the show entertaining for me, it's funny as fuck - especially his rationalizing of the Booker/HHH angle mentioned here.  

I prefer bullshitting the audience to "I don't remember" for two hours of the Schiavonne podcast, but that one's funny because Tony says really, really fucked up shit a lot of the time.

My mania finish change already happened when both Brock and Roman failed drug tests, invalidating their wins over The Undertaker.

Streak is intact motherfuckers.

That said the first post in this thread is the worst suggestion in the history of the board next to whoever thought Roman Reigns should get magical Undertaker powers passed to him and become the new Undertaker

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

While Flair/Savage at WM8 is an amazing classic match, they still should've gone ahead with Flair/Hogan for the title. That those two never truly got a real one on one program against each other during Flair's first WWF run is crazy.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

That said the first post in this thread is the worst suggestion in the history of the board

Why? There's plenty of upside to it no matter your view of Orton - the Legend Killer gimmick was over and it would have capped it off plus it would've helped Randall's ascent to where he was going to be. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than Brock ending it but for the fact that he's 'legit'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Why? There's plenty of upside to it no matter your view of Orton - the Legend Killer gimmick was over and it would have capped it off plus it would've helped Randall's ascent to where he was going to be. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than Brock ending it but for the fact that he's 'legit'

Because unlike most of this board, I think Randy Orton fucking sucks.

Lesnar won for the same reason Roman won - to make Roman look strong.

Both of those were dumb ideas too.  

Any angle I'd do to end the streak would take way more involvement in shows than Taker would want now, and I'd just 100% steal the Stop the Matsunaga angle anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wrestlemania 30 felt like a wrap up of the Attitude Era nostalgia trip hangover and the beginning of a future that only sort of materialized because Bryan was gone shortly after and they were still going back to old stars for big cards. 

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I posted about it on the F4W board and Conrad's response was, "we all know he's a liar, but you're essentially getting Vince's side of every story, so this is the closest thing we'll ever have to a Vince McMahon weekly podcast." 

I can sort of understand that perspective, but it's not a Vince podcast.  Listening to a weekly podcast where an unhinged Vince tells his detatched-from-reality side of the story would be great because there'd be some earnestness to it. You'd know Vince at least believes his own bullshit.   But Bruce just telling lie upon lie to spin things in Vince's favor is just sad.  He comes off like a guy who is so desperate to not offend "the old man" because he thinks he might get one more run "up north" that he just outright lies to paint Vince in the best possible light.

Had no idea Conrad posted over there. Most of the time Conrad just sounds frustrated talking to Bruce while he sounds way more loose talking with Tony. I wonder how Conrad feels about how the Bruce podcast is basically the anti-Meltzer podcast.

Back to the subject, the only other thing I'd finish is the heel turn at X7. Oh man, that brings up more bullshit from Bruce where on that last WM 19 podcast he basically said the heel doesn't go over in the last match at WM. So I guess the endings of 16 and 17 never happened, let alone other WM that Bruce wasn't a part of. Anyway, we've talked about the ending to 17 to death, but if Austin does turn heel, then feuding with a face HHH was a much better direction than the 2 Man Power Trip.

Brock/Undertaker is another. In the years since that match we've all seen that ending the streak did nothing to help anyone. It was just for shock value and Brock beating Undertaker wasn't used to put anyone else over. Undertaker losing his streak should have been to benefit a younger wrestler (not Roman) or it shouldn't have ended at all.

On the topic of The Streak ending, whenever I talk to one of Vince's coveted "casual fans" and they ask me what Undertaker is doing and I tell them he lost his Streak, they invariably say something along the lines of, "well that's fucking stupid. Why wouldn't they just let him keep it?" I get it about "time honored tradition" and "pass the torch" and all of that other stuff but I can't think of too many people who wanted it to end, especially in the underwhelming manner it did.

I personally wouldn't do it unless I like had to or something, but the ending of the streak should be part of a really super hot angle structured in a way that would make Taker the heel in the match, biggest piece of shit ever, with a face not only going up against him but also the streak to try and end a reign of terror that he'd be just be unleashing on the roster.

Which like I said, I'd just rip off the Stop the Matsunaga angle.  It'd have way less impact without someone getting their head put in a barbed wire wrapped vise, though.

7 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Muraco wins the WM4 Tournament. Fuck all the haters.

That would have been pretty awesome. I really enjoyed "The Rock" Don Muraco.

...and Taker's streak shouldn't have really ever been a thing. Flair should have gone over at WM18, especially after Arn's awesome spinebuster.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

On the topic of The Streak ending, whenever I talk to one of Vince's coveted "casual fans" and they ask me what Undertaker is doing and I tell them he lost his Streak, they invariably say something along the lines of, "well that's fucking stupid. Why wouldn't they just let him keep it?" I get it about "time honored tradition" and "pass the torch" and all of that other stuff but I can't think of too many people who wanted it to end, especially in the underwhelming manner it did.

I know it's fun around these parts to revise history, but calling the end of the streak underwhelming is ridiculous - it stunned the entire fanbase. The angle was fine, they just didn't bother to have anyone beat Brock to capitalize on it. 

• Like 2

Everyone was surprised, but the reaction was mostly real life concern for Taker's health because he looked like he was on his last leg and there didn't seem to be any reason to end the Streak other than him being spent. There was also the usual palace intrigue questions about who decided on the finish and when. It's not like there was a lot of confidence that it was going anywhere other than Brock putting over Reigns, which is just happening now and has almost nothing to do with any heat Brock got from beating Taker three years ago.