DVDVR Message Board

If you could change the finish to any Wrestlemania match which would it be?

I wouldn't so much change a finish, but change a couple of matches. At 5, instead of Rockers/Twin Towers and Brain Busters/Strike Force, I would have switched it to Rockers/Busters and Towers/SF.

In the months leading up to Wrestlemania, the Rockers and Busters have a pretty heated feud going on. They have a couple matches that don't even get started, just turn into brawls in the aisle, with one even going into the crowd, iirc. Then they have a match on the last SNME before WM5 that ends inconclusively. The Strike Force match announcement comes out of nowhere, everything seemed to be leading to a blow off match between them and the Rockers. The Busters could have gotten a strong win, which they definitely needed.  Yes they won the titles later, but I don't think they got much out of the match since all the heat ended up on Martel. As an upshot, it would have likely been the match of the show.

Feeding Strike Force to the Twin Towers still gets Bossman and Akeem the win they deserved for being the top heels of the last couple months and Rick Martel's abandoning of Tito Santana could have been played as a "fuck this, it's not worth it" move.

• Like 2

I would'v booked HHH/Book from X9 like the main event of WrestleWar 90, with HHH as Flair, Booker as Luger, Goldust as Sting and Evolution as The Andersons. HHH keeps the belt but Booker comes out as a huge babyface picking his friend over the title.

Why's everyone so horny for Booker T over Triple H? Didn't feel like the right time for Booker to go over at all, the feud was thrown together and Goldberg was coming in next so needed a hot Triple H to feud with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CreativeControl said:

Why's everyone so horny for Booker T over Triple H? Didn't feel like the right time for Booker to go over at all, the feud was thrown together and Goldberg was coming in next so needed a hot Triple H to feud with.

Because when you build the entire feud around "racist heel is gonna get his ass kicked by the black face" the payoff needs to be the racist heel getting his ass kicked by the black face.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Wasn't there literally one comment along the lines of "you uppity people" and making Booker his slave on the go home show? And King constantly talking about Booker being a criminal? The most I remember about that feud is Evolution turning Golddust into Tourettesdust so that says alot about it.

The only thing I'd change about that match is Booker hitting his big move off the top for a close call, and Triple H taking an eternity to pin off the pedigree

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Wasn't there literally one comment along the lines of "you uppity people" and making Booker his slave on the go home show? And King constantly talking about Booker being a criminal? The most I remember about that feud is Evolution turning Golddust into Tourettesdust so that says alot about it.

The only thing I'd change about that match is Booker hitting his big move off the top for a close call, and Triple H taking an eternity to pin off the pedigree

No, it went on for weeks. And Book just sat there and took almost all of it without retaliating to the point where he HAD to beat the racist troll who was literally handed the title by Bischoff. That would've been the only satisfactory endgame. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, elizium said:

You need the whole year to do the Mega Powers angle right. Between Savage's win at 4 and their match at 5, there are only 3 PPVs and a handful of SNMEs. The angle doesn't work nearly as well if Savage wins at Summerslam and they have to get right into the tension between them only a few months later.

Dibiase was great, but him not winning at 4 is not a shame. Jake Roberts getting injured during his program with Honky and Dibiase missing out on the IC title reign he would have gotten is.

I don't think there's anything in the angle that needed to have been done that differently with Savage chasing DiBiase from April to August and winning at SummerSlam.  Like literally, Wikipedia has nothing about Savage/DiBiase, or any Hogan involvement, between Mania and SS except for this blurb:

A few months later, with Hogan on leave of absence from the WWF and Savage feuding with DiBiase over the title, DiBiase and André attacked Savage during an interview segment prompting Savage to challenge the two to a tag team match against him and a partner of his choosing, which was accepted. Savage then revealed that his partner would be the returning Hogan and that they would meet André and DiBiase at SummerSlam.

The tension started at SummerSlam, nothing between Savage and Hogan before then.

So instead, have World champ DiBiase hiding behind Andre and Virgil on house shows and, eventually, SNME,  fucking Savage over for a few months, keeping him away from the belt, and then SS is Savage vs DiBiase for the belt with Hogan in Savage's corner.  Hogan and Liz overcome Andre and Virgil to help Randy win the belt, Hogan pats Liz' butt, and off we go.

13 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Valentine over Steamboat at Mania IV was ridiculously short-sighted. Savage getting his win back over Steamboat in the second round would have been huge.

Prichard's line is that they didn't want to even tempt fate with putting Savage up against another babyface (especially one as pure as Steamboat) when they wanted him to be the lead babyface for the night.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pete said:

No, it went on for weeks. And Book just sat there and took almost all of it without retaliating to the point where he HAD to beat the racist troll who was literally handed the title by Bischoff. That would've been the only satisfactory endgame. 

Exactly this. Back to Bruce again, but Friday's podcast covered WM19 and there was a lot of discussion about the angle and build-up to the match. Sorry, that's not right, there was a lot of Conrad needling Bruce about how racists the first promo from HHH was and Bruce just tapdanced and pretended it wasn't racist saying you can't take it out of context. Bruce also said it's the only racist part of the angle.

And then Conrad brought up Flair telling Book to get their bags, be their driver, and HHH throwing a dollar at Book. Bruce was just like, "don't even tell me that's racist." You fuckin' jerk, of course it's racist. Conrad pushed hard the point that ultimately this all makes sense if Booker T goes over, but he doesn't and to that Bruce was "so what should we have done, had Booker win and then what?" THAT'S YOUR JOB, ASSHOLE, TO FIGURE OUT THE "AND WHAT" PART. Fucking Prichard.

Anyway, Booker T going over HHH is the best answer here. 

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And then Conrad brought up Flair telling Book to get their bags, be their driver, and HHH throwing a dollar at Book. Bruce was just like, "don't even tell me that's racist." You fuckin' jerk, of course it's racist. Conrad pushed hard the point that ultimately this all makes sense if Booker T goes over, but he doesn't and to that Bruce was "so what should we have done, had Booker win and then what?" THAT'S YOUR JOB, ASSHOLE, TO FIGURE OUT THE "AND WHAT" PART. Fucking Prichard.

Sweet Zombie Jesus why does anyone still listen to that dumb fucking show?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I don't think there's anything in the angle that needed to have been done that differently with Savage chasing DiBiase from April to August and winning at SummerSlam.  Like literally, Wikipedia has nothing about Savage/DiBiase, or any Hogan involvement, between Mania and SS except for this blurb:

The tension started at SummerSlam, nothing between Savage and Hogan before then.

So instead, have World champ DiBiase hiding behind Andre and Virgil on house shows and, eventually, SNME,  fucking Savage over for a few months, keeping him away from the belt, and then SS is Savage vs DiBiase for the belt with Hogan in Savage's corner.  Hogan and Liz overcome Andre and Virgil to help Randy win the belt, Hogan pats Liz' butt, and off we go.

They actually started the MegaPowers explode angle and the tension at Mania IV, when Hogan is sitting around hogging Savages spotlight.  You can see the "Are you fucking kidding me" looks Savage gives Hogan throughout the postmatch.

That's what also makes Mania VIII's Savage win sweeter, he gets the ring to himself, without Hogan around.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hamhock said:

I’m also just now realizing that Steamboat and Dibiase didn’t work together in the WWF, which is a damn shame.

They wrestled at a 1991 King of the Ring house show.  The footage is out there, but trust me, whatever is in your head is way better than what they actually did.

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Sweet Zombie Jesus why does anyone still listen to that dumb fucking show?

Ugh, dude, I don't know. Habit maybe? Not much else to listen to on Friday? Sometimes the wrestling stories are good, but there are less and less of them. That's my excuse. I have no idea why so many others listen to them or why they have such a following. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ugh, dude, I don't know. Habit maybe? Not much else to listen to on Friday? Sometimes the wrestling stories are good, but there are less and less of them. That's my excuse. I have no idea why so many others listen to them or why they have such a following. 

I listen to Bruce and Conrad out of habit. Now Bruce and Tony is a must listen for me. Too bad Tony is done now that he's paid for his daughter's wedding. Them riffing on The Doomsday Cage match this week was hilarious. Just losing their shit about how Hogan and Macho's secret plan to defeat the monster heels was to have Brutus The Fucking Barber Beefcake run into the ring with frying pans and powder and how in a match filled with non-wrestlers who won't be there the next night and midcarders, WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair is the one who drops the fall.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

E&C show drops on Fridays and might be the best wrestler pod at the moment. 

• Like 1

And I'd have changed the ending to Austin/Rock II. Austin still would've went over but he actually would've called that audible he's talked about and stunned Vince to end the whole thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh my god, the Conrad and Tony podcast has been consistently golden. They are so damn funny together and Tony is hilarious when he goes off the rails. It really, really sucks that they're done now. I wish they'd keep doing it, but Tony is about to be busy as hell. Maybe once the baseball season is over Tony can go back to doing the podcasts.

The difference in quality and discourse between the two Conrad podcasts is just light and day. 

Just now, Craig H said:

Oh my god, the Conrad and Tony podcast has been consistently golden. They are so damn funny together and Tony is hilarious when he goes off the rails. It really, really sucks that they're done now. I wish they'd keep doing it, but Tony is about to be busy as hell. Maybe once the baseball season is over Tony can go back to doing the podcasts.

The difference in quality and discourse between the two Conrad podcasts is just light and day. 

I wish that we got more backstage stuff on Tony's but it's understandable why there's not a lot of it. He just wasn't on that side of things during the later years of WCW. I know people complain about the "watch the ppv along with Tony" episodes but I like them.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

E&C show drops on Fridays and might be the best wrestler pod at the moment. 

I listen to that on Fridays also or I save it for Saturday if I have housework to do. I typically just like having podcasts on as I work. I wish there were more comedy oriented wrestling podcasts.