DVDVR Message Board

If you could change the finish to any Wrestlemania match which would it be?

Major one that springs to mind for me in light of the streak finally ending, and last years defeat to Roman Reigns, is I really wish Orton had gone over Taker to cement his Legend Killer status.

Not a big fan of Orton but it would've really given that gimmick some credos and stopped the streak when it was relatively fresh and not the overbearing thing it became 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Di Biase over Savage

Bingo. I was 10, so I would have hated it then, but as an adult, knowing what DiBiase would have done as the champ in that gimmick makes me fucking giddy, man.

What a fantastic choice.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Bingo. I was 10, so I would have hated it then, but as an adult, knowing what DiBiase would have done as the champ in that gimmick makes me fucking giddy, man.

What a fantastic choice.

Thank the Honky Tonk Man for refusing to drop the IC title to Savage.

My pick is WM9. Bret should have beaten Yoko, and we avoid the Hogan garbage altogether.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Goodear said:

You all are freaking nuts.  No Savage run means no Mega Powers explode and I'm not losing that for some midcarder like DiBiase.

Savage would've still gotten the belt, a few months later.

No Hogan finish at 9. Yoko winning was fine, though. 

Sid should have beat Hogan at 9. Hogan was taking a sabbatical and you could have built Sid to be a hot heel against Savage. 

Hogan should have beat Rock at 'mania. Not for any legitimate or logical reason, but man...that crowd would have just loved it. Grown men would have been weeping. 

Everyone is out to lunch at the Million Dollar Man stuff. I know we all look back on these things as cynics who love heels but MDM 1) getting a crooked ref 2) screwing beloved babyface 3) buying the belt 4) and then winning it outright is some real dispiriting shit for the kiddies in the crowd. 

Man, I got a lot of takes on  the Hulkster apparently. 

No looking back hindsight. I was a Di Biase fan at the time. Still disappointing he is on the list of guys never to be a world champ.

Plus, there's the whole story of Vince changing the finish after it leaked out.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

How did the Honky Tonk Man have the clout to refuse to drop a title?

He had physical possession of the belt and no contract. If he wanted to show up on JCP's TV with the belt, he could have.

8 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

How did the Honky Tonk Man have the clout to refuse to drop a title?

The story goes that Honky refused and threatened to take the belt to Crockett with him. It makes sense given how he was squashed by the Warrior at Summerslam and never got anything close to a strong push for the rest of his time in the WWF.

26 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Sid should have beat Hogan at 9. Hogan was taking a sabbatical and you could have built Sid to be a hot heel against Savage. 

Sid/Hogan was 8. The problem with Sid winning was that he was gone shortly after for failing a drug test.

• Like 1

You need the whole year to do the Mega Powers angle right. Between Savage's win at 4 and their match at 5, there are only 3 PPVs and a handful of SNMEs. The angle doesn't work nearly as well if Savage wins at Summerslam and they have to get right into the tension between them only a few months later.

Dibiase was great, but him not winning at 4 is not a shame. Jake Roberts getting injured during his program with Honky and Dibiase missing out on the IC title reign he would have gotten is.

26 minutes ago, elizium said:

Jake was supposed to beat Honky then go into a feud with Dibiase. I'm just conjecturing that Dibiase would have one the belt then.

But Jake's feud with Honky Tonk and resulting injury were before Honky won the belt. Was the plan for Jake to reignite his feud with Honky after Steamboat transitioned the title to the latter?