DVDVR Message Board

The ComingToAmerica Comes to America Thread

Dick's was kinda disappointing tbh. 

I had good larks with the nearby bar Ozzie's. 22oz pours and Karaoke. No-one knew Bad Babysitter though. WOO! I got a group together for Africa near the end though, and 'All I Wanna Do' is always a safe bet. Saw some of my guys the next day on my way out if Dick's.

Had some nice food here though - some nice Korean dumplings and some thin crust pizza just now. I thought UK had caught up in respect to this kind of thing, but not really. Seattle has late night food happy hours, which are really great.

Things also not to Google at work: Ionic

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if I could be of any help but will put this out there - but what are you finding lacking about LA and anything in particular you might be looking for that maybe I could point you in the direction of?

• Thanks 1

Flying to NOLA tomorrow.

DTLA is more the problem, shouldn't have stayed there really. Though I ended up visiting Santa Clarita twice and it was helpful with that.

I was a bit rundown yesterday so did an Airbnb experience - a Tarot Kabbalah intro from a Jewish mystic. It was actually super fun, there was good tacos nearby, and it helped me when I had a date later that night (no I didn't perform a tarot reading on my date). All in all, I liked Cali more than LA if that makes sense.

FWIW, I ate the XXXL at Fatburger as a tribute to 'It Was A Good Day'. Got my photo up on the Wall of Fame at Beverley Hills. Easy as food challenges go, but still fun.

I never went to In N Out and it is not looking likely unless I somehow get to the one by LAX.

On 5/19/2018 at 4:14 PM, ComingToAmerica said:

New Orleans is pretty dope. Also bloody hot. Except that storm yesterday evening. Damn!

At midtown bayou festival today; had me some grits!

New Orleans is a great way to spend a weekend.  I went last month for Wrestlemania and instead of checking the billion wrestling show (just ROH and WM) we instead did all the NO stuff we could fit in (Bourbon Street did me in the first night there).  The food is exceptional but man can it get expensive.  The weather was pretty nice due to it being early April.  I'm hoping to go back in October around Halloween as I'm sure that'd be a great experience.  

New Orleans food seems okay price wise to me. The apple fritter I had on Frenchmen for a buck 60 would have been 5-6 dollars in central Chicago.

There are 3 dollar dozen oyster platters at Blind Pelican during happy hour. I have a 6th sense for a deal.

Just had some Southern-Asiam fusion - excellent 'vindaloo' chicken wings. Not vindaloo hot really, but srsly well sauced. 7 bucks for 5 fat wings plus a buck for cucumber ranch. Sounds okay to me. They gave me a free amuse bouche too. This is Maypop.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

New Orleans food seems okay price wise to me. The apple fritter I had on Frenchmen for a buck 60 would have been 5-6 dollars in central Chicago.

There are 3 dollar dozen oyster platters at Blind Pelican during happy hour. I have a 6th sense for a deal.

Just had some Southern-Asiam fusion - excellent 'vindaloo' chicken wings. Not vindaloo hot really, but srsly well sauced. 7 bucks for 5 fat wings plus a buck for cucumber ranch. Sounds okay to me. They gave me a free amuse bouche too. This is Maypop.

Well, in that case sounds like my friends just wanted to go with more expensive options.  The first night was for a friend's birthday so it made sense for him to splurge a little.  When I go back with my wife we'll go to a nice place but the places you mentioned sound right up our alley.

Fwiw I did not go to Blind Pelican and a bartender elsewhere put it down as not freshly shucking their oysters.

Places I strongly recommend during Happy Hour: Balise, Maypop, Cane & Table. Luke is well known for excellent 75c oysters, but the accomplishments are basic whereas Balise make really good cocktail and vinegrette but charge a buck.

I think Seaworthy do half off on all their oysters, not just the local ones so that might also be worth checking out.

I had a crab Beignet at a praline place - it had won awards but it was 6.50. tbh it was beautiful but I wouldn't be buying one often.

• Thanks 1

We had beignets at Cafe du Monde which were they were absolutely amazing.  Super long line but it was worth it for that and at a cheap price to boot.  I haven't had pralines in a long time, but the place they had nearby was outstanding.  And crab beignet sounds like a food after my crab-loving heart.

Random note: US groceries are pretty expensive. It's better in ATL than in some of the other places, and I suspect strong $ skews my perspective a bit but I'm convinced UK is cheaper. Generally I'm better off eating out during Happy Hour than even going to Publix and buying chips and dips (you want how much for hummus?).

The cheap craft sixers are good though; you can get good deals on Brewdog cans in UK thesedays but you guys definitely have a better choice of quality cans. Cigar City Jai Alai is a good catch for 10 bucks.