DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Alignment

Goodear

Saw a post saying Kane was chaotic evil and god damn it I never want to have sex again.  This thread is designed to discuss the Dungeons & Dragon's style alignments of the pro graps!  Where does Goldust fall?  Let's discuss!  Who is the most Lawful Neutral wrestler of all time?  I don't know!  Is my dog looking at me with disgust in his eyes?  Oh, most assuredly!  For those of you who aren't aware of what the alignments are, here is a breakdown with references to Gold Dragons and Beholders removed...

Lawful good

A lawful good character typically acts with compassion and always with honor and a sense of duty. He combines a commitment to oppose evil with the discipline to fight relentlessly. He tells the truth, keeps his word, helps those in need, and speaks out against injustice.

Neutral good

A neutral good character typically acts altruistically, without regard for or against lawful precepts such as rules or tradition. A neutral good character has no problems with cooperating with lawful officials, but does not feel beholden to them. In the event that doing the right thing requires the bending or breaking of rules, they do not suffer the same inner conflict that a lawful good character would.

Chaotic good

A chaotic good character does what is necessary to bring about change for the better, disdains bureaucratic organizations that get in the way of social improvement, and places a high value on personal freedom, not only for oneself, but for others as well. Chaotic good characters usually intend to do the right thing, but their methods are generally disorganized and often out of sync with the rest of society.

Lawful neutral

A lawful neutral character typically believes strongly in lawful concepts such as honor, order, rules, and tradition, and often follows a personal code. Examples of lawful neutral characters include a soldier who always follows orders, a judge or enforcer that adheres mercilessly to the word of the law, and a disciplined monk.

Neutral

A neutral character (a.k.a. true neutral) is neutral on both axes and tends not to feel strongly towards any alignment, or actively seeks their balance.

Chaotic neutral

A chaotic neutral character is an individualist who follows their own heart and generally shirks rules and traditions. Although chaotic neutral characters promote the ideals of freedom, it is their own freedom that comes first; good and evil come second to their need to be free.

Lawful evil

A lawful evil character sees a well-ordered system as being easier to exploit and shows a combination of desirable and undesirable traits. Examples of this alignment include tyrants and undiscriminating mercenary types who have a strict code of conduct.

Neutral evil

A neutral evil character is typically selfish and has no qualms about turning on allies-of-the-moment, and usually makes allies primarily to further their own goals. A neutral evil character has no compunctions about harming others to get what they want, but neither will they go out of their way to cause carnage or mayhem when they see no direct benefit for themselves. Another valid interpretation of neutral evil holds up evil as an ideal, doing evil for evil's sake and trying to spread its influence. Examples of the first type are an assassin who has little regard for formal laws but does not needlessly kill, a henchman who plots behind their superior's back, or a mercenary who switches sides if made a better offer. 

Chaotic evil

A chaotic evil character tends to have no respect for rules, other people's lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel. They set a high value on personal freedom, but do not have much regard for the lives or freedom of other people. Chaotic evil characters do not work well in groups because they resent being given orders and do not usually behave themselves unless there is no alternative.

Here's a visual sure to be less nerdy!

alignment_chart_by_mrawesome31-d7kplra.j

Fair. Bruno or Bret seem the most lawful neutral but Bret had the heel run in the nWo. I don't think he betrayed his core concepts entirely with the Canadian heel run in WWF. Oh, and he had the Hart Foundation heel run too. Damn. I still think he best fits lawful neutral.

Since I was just reading about him in the Pillman book, I'll put Sid aaaaaaaat... true neutral. Lawful evil and neutral evil... Harley can be lawful evil. I dunno about neutral evil, that one and lawful evil seem hardest. 

EDIT: And since I was reading about him in the Pillman book too, I'll put Wahoo at chaotic good. 

Wouldn't most of the babyfaces from ECW be lawful neutral? I mean it's weird because in a normal world everything in ECW was chaotic but since chaotic was the law of the land in ECW that made what would be chaotic lawful since it was all within the rules. Of course an exception to this would be someone like New Jack or the Sandman who were chaotic neutral and chaotic good respectively 

• Like 1

Hogan has to be Neutral Evil right?  Even during the Red and Yellow years it was all about the personal glory and most of the people who turned on him were tired of his "me-first" attitude.  NWO era Hogan was just more transparent about it.

Is Cena lawful Neutral?  He certainly has his central tenants that he devoutly follows and willingly goes to fight for.  And I feel like neutral works because Cena's willing to face both Good guys like Rey and Sami, people the fans cheered for, and straight up bad guys. 

I think WWF Hogan was lawful neutral. He would always stand up to the evil guys who no one else could stop. He would stay within the rules until someone else broke them but he never went after other good guys who might have gone against Hogan’s moral compass so that’s why I think he’s not neutral evil

• Like 1

I don't have any opinion on this except to say that the OP's opening paragraph was absolutely magnificent.  And I had seen those 9-picture memes but didn't know they were based on D&D, so I learned something today.

4 hours ago, GojiColin said:

Hogan has to be Neutral Evil right?  Even during the Red and Yellow years it was all about the personal glory and most of the people who turned on him were tired of his "me-first" attitude.  NWO era Hogan was just more transparent about it.

Is Cena lawful Neutral?  He certainly has his central tenants that he devoutly follows and willingly goes to fight for.  And I feel like neutral works because Cena's willing to face both Good guys like Rey and Sami, people the fans cheered for, and straight up bad guys. 

2 hours ago, Brysynner said:

I think WWF Hogan was lawful neutral. He would always stand up to the evil guys who no one else could stop. He would stay within the rules until someone else broke them but he never went after other good guys who might have gone against Hogan’s moral compass so that’s why I think he’s not neutral evil

"Hogan is neutral good" was my first thought, as he'd think nothing of eye gouging a heel or headbutting Bad News with his goofy helmet. 

But Bobby Heenan or guys who turned on him like Orndorff would definitely consider him neutral evil.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brysynner said:

If that would be WWF Hogan, it'd likely put Ultimate Warrior as Chaotic Good for that case (the biggest difference between the two as the top star: Hulk Hogan would be willing to attack managers like Bobby Heenan or Slick, but he wouldn't dream of hitting Sensational Sherri. Warrior, on the other hand, had no qualms about hitting Sherri if she interfered.) 

Meanwhile, for modern ones- the second Bayley refused to use the Kendo stick against Alexa Bliss, she officially became Lawful Good (if not Lawful Stupid.) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Goodear said:

Saw a post saying Kane was chaotic evil and god damn it I never want to have sex again.

Stopped reading here. That's not a commentary on the rest of the post, I just thought that it couldn't get any better than this.

• Haha 4

Obviously in wrestling, alignments shift all the time.  Here are some thoughts.

Neutral Good - I put mega babyface Hulk Hogan here.  I think a lot of people would say he was selfish and would break rules frequently but my interpretation was always that by the time you got to face Hogan, you had already established your nefarious ways and he wasn't going to wait around to get jacked.  I think Dusty Rhodes fits here as well.

Chaotic Neutral - I really think Steve Austin works here as he never seemed to have a reason beyond rebelling against the authority figures on the show.  Even at his largest face surge, he didn't have a moral compass really and would stun people regardless of reason.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Mr. McMahon would be the epitome of Lawful Evil, right?   

Up to the point when he really went off the rails and didn't care about being respected or deferred to. Stuff like bringing in the NWO to destroy the company or more or less trying to murder his offspring was chaotic evil. There wasn't an inherent logic to a lot it that would lead to eventually restoring order. 

This is actually hard because wrestling characters' actions don't often follow a character arc and just serve whatever story is being told at the time. 

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I feel like the more fun game might be picking guys who can cover all spots.

Taker?