DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Empowering Women - 3/12/2018

Dolfan in NYC

He just came out the night after the Rumble and worked heel against Finn. Then against Seth. And then AJ. All while being a whiny bitch about not having a title match at Mania. It's fucking great.

And tonight he killed it. Played that crowd like a fiddle.

• Like 2

Lads, I'm confused. What did Moolah do that caused Internet Outrage No. 102929293954895862? All I ever heard was because she trained the majority of female wrestlers, and promoters came to her directly to book them, she took a percentage of their wages as a booking fee. The same thing Verne Gagne did...

7 hours ago, Surprisingly Sincere Man said:

They missed a gag but Strowman should've come out dragging an unconscious Kalisto or some other dweeb by the foot and said "Here's my partner ref!"

If they would let men touch women anymore, people would be dying for the Alexa/Braun team to appear.

So, the simplest explanation for the lionization of Moolah is that quite simply the McMahon family doesn't believe the lurid stuff, right? 

This stuff was touched on in a Pritchard podcast (I know, I know) and his take (which we can assume echoes the company) is that Moolah was a tough-nosed businesswoman but all the sex stuff is bullshit or was something that was never brought up.  

When did all this stuff come out? That Reddit thread made it sound like women started coming forward in the shoot video era. Was this stuff that Dave was touching on in the 80s or that was even widely known contemporaneously known during her career?

And, just to be clear, I'm sure the allegations are true and she's guilty as sin but am curious how it all unfolded. It's not that shocking that the family would look at "bitter old wrestlers making allegations for money" and weigh that against her being a decades-long friend of the family and turn a blind eye to it. Not defending it, but not surprising at all. 

It is fascinating because maybe more than anything else it's the thing they get the most pushback on for creating their own version of history, and they've been largely successful at ignoring the controversy and pushing through it. 

30 minutes ago, Hagan said:

It's not that shocking that the family would look at "bitter old wrestlers making allegations for money" and weigh that against her being a decades-long friend of the family and turn a blind eye to it.

I seem to remember someone saying that's why Mae and Moolah still get the treatment they do -- they were friends of the family and Steph remembers them fondly.

Also note that Graves almost choked last night while calling Stephanie "the leader of the women's evolution."

30 minutes ago, Hagan said:

So, the simplest explanation for the lionization of Moolah is that quite simply the McMahon family doesn't believe the lurid stuff, right? 

This stuff was touched on in a Pritchard podcast (I know, I know) and his take (which we can assume echoes the company) is that Moolah was a tough-nosed businesswoman but all the sex stuff is bullshit or was something that was never brought up.  

When did all this stuff come out? That Reddit thread made it sound like women started coming forward in the shoot video era. Was this stuff that Dave was touching on in the 80s or that was even widely known contemporaneously known during her career?

And, just to be clear, I'm sure the allegations are true and she's guilty as sin but am curious how it all unfolded. It's not that shocking that the family would look at "bitter old wrestlers making allegations for money" and weigh that against her being a decades-long friend of the family and turn a blind eye to it. Not defending it, but not surprising at all. 

Well first of all - a lot of it is that time's change. Like Moolah's practices weren't a secret but it was just one of those things that happened in a terrible business.

Like Meltzer said on the radio show this morning that JJ Dillion once said to him something like "You have to give Moolah credit for surviving in this business". So that matches what you are saying Pritchard's thoughts were too. 

Also - Moolah was one of the people that Vince Sr. told Vince Jr. to always take care of. So the McMahon family clearly knows... they either just don't care or think that no one will ever make a big (or a little from Column A and a little from Column B)

I joked in the main thread about how I am sure the guy from SI will write a glowing article about Moolah. Heck - I am positive at some point Peter Rosenberg will be defending her on his radio show soon enough

34 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

HOLY SHIT.  How did I miss this!

Titus had a couple of good moments last night with that and him stepping up to Braun.

I could see Braun as a tag team. He's essentially two people. But this is what they get for not going with what's hot. It should be Braun/Brock at mania. God, Vince looked haggard last night. I think even he knows going full tilt on Roman is a bad idea, but they've passed the point of no return.

Also, that whole thing with Alexa and Mickie in the back had me cringing. It was like something straight out of Mean Girls. I mean it just went on and on.

As for The Moolah thing. Winners write history and the WWE has shown they will write any history they want.

The Braun/Roman conundrum is the perfect example of why a viable MITB winner is such an advantage for both shows. No one (outside Stamford) really wants to see Brock/Roman 2. Now, imagine Balor or Joe or Elias is holding the briefcase. I know it can turn into a crutch creatively, but this year would've been a great year to not have Baron Corbin waste it on Jinder fucking Mahal...

11 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

This is exactly how Hogan and Flair got so many runs past their 50s.

As long as wrestling fans' rose tinted nostalgia glasses confuse Just For Men Gel and vaguely muscular fat/calcium deposits for legitimate vitality it's going to be a thing.

Although in Mexico there always seems to be members of AARP (or the Mexican equivalent) throwing out MOTYCs, but lucha is obviously different. 

18 minutes ago, just drew said:

No one (outside Stamford) really wants to see Brock/Roman 2. 

I think this is one of those year's that the Roman backlash is overstated. Is anyone stoked for the Big Dog to be celebrating underneath the fireworks again? Not particularly, but I think they're doing a good job with this unconventional build and I do think that Roman has established himself enough with match quality that fans aren't going to throw a hissy fit when him and Brock go twenty. 

I mean, Cena/UT and the Rousey Variety Hour are the actual main events but I'm gonna bet that Roman and Brock tear the house down and have that crowd pretty hot. 

• Like 2