DVDVR Message Board

Best North American in ring performers of last 20 years

Best American in ring performers of last 20 years  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a better in ring performer?

• Bryan Danielson
    • Shawn Michaels
    • It's a draw. They are both as good in the same way.
  2. 2. Who is a better in ring performer?

• Kurt Angle
    • Chris Benoit
  3. 3. Who is a better in ring performer?

• Bryan Danielson
    • AJ Styles
  4. 4. Who is a better in ring performer?

• Kurt Angle
    • Shawn Michaels
  5. 5. Who is a better in ring performer?

• Bryan Danielson
    • Kurt Angle

18 minutes ago, alstein said:

The last 20 years part throws out a lot of the best work of Michaels, pretty much everything pre-1st retirement.  His post-retirement run was good but nowhere near as good as anyone else mentioned.

Sometimes I think I'm in the minority of people that prefer post-retirement Michaels.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

See, this board here is where we had multiple Dustin's that went multiple pages where several of us, myself included, argued quite strongly that Mark Henry was a better worker than HBK.

I swear this place was ground zero for that shit leaking out to other parts on the internet in like 2006.

Thank you for your service.

As for the poll, do tag teams count?

abd2ef5f0dcab24f04c6f7a0dcba215a--the-yo

2 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Young Bucks?  Really?

CalculatingAfraidGermanpinscher-size_res

While we're splitting hairs, I look at Sami's NXT run and general reputation for quality storytelling and wonder how favourably something like that should be measured against Angle or latter-day Shawn. I love Eddie as much as the rest of you guys, but Rippa's already mentioned the limited window he had in the twenty year frame. I'd say Sami's been great for long enough to slip into the bottom end of a "best of" conversation, with the same caveat that his body of high end work appears similarly limited through the lens of the twenty years qualifier. 

And of course, the Bucks are self-explanatory. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

And of course, the Bucks are self-explanatory. 

The Bucks would be in trouble if they ever worked against anyone that didn't want to stand around forever looking like goofs while they got their shit in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

The Bucks would be in trouble if they ever worked against anyone that didn't want to stand around forever looking like goofs while they got their shit in.

No such person exists. The Bucks' awe-inspiring poses and athleticism strike more paralyzing fear into opponents than the Hulkster's fabled 20-inch pythons. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The lack of respect tag performance gets sometimes is utterly appalling when one considers all the moving pieces and the different kind of storytelling that goes into producing high end tag matches. 

However as I've already written, I will open more polls in future in which a will add Mexican wrestlers, Japanese, even tag team.

51 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

You're acting like they're Sabu or something. They aren't that contrived.

I picked AJ over Danielson simply because AJ, for the most part, worked smarter. 

I think HBK's strengths obviously make him a top tier WWE performer because he is everything they want out of the BIG MATCH style main events.  His overselling and theatrics are second to none.  

But as I said,  a lot of the "longer is better"  matches he had drag...   and my other issue with Michaels is his shitty offense. AJ and Bryan blow him out of the water.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ace said:

You're acting like they're Sabu or something. They aren't that contrived

I'm exaggerating a little bit because I honestly do think they're very good when they want to be (that last match against Roppongi 3K was excellent), but most of their signature highspots require their opponents to put themselves in very specific places to set up.  

• Like 1

In no order I would say Aj Styles, Eddy, Samoa Joe, Rey, Bryan and Undertaker. 

Taker until he went into semi retirement would always deliver anytime he went on TV. Joe and Styles could make absolute shit watchable. Eddy Guerrero was so great you could sell him by saying he is Eddy Guerrero. From 2002 on, he was the best wrestler in his promotion until he passed. Rey once he got the mask back was consistently great. But from 98 til WCW closing he was very inconsistent. I think Bryan is very underrated in terms of carrying angles and doing promos. That he was more than a wrestling robot. 

6 hours ago, Ace said:

You're acting like they're Sabu or something. They aren't that contrived.

I picked AJ over Danielson simply because AJ, for the most part, worked smarter. 

Sabu is a million times better and more believable than the Young Bucks. What in the fucking fuck?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Victator said:

less contrived than the Bucks existence.

It's lines like these which cause me not to take you seriously as an adult capable of discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes the guys who weigh a combined 130 pounds as a top rate wrestling team is very believable. I mean that is seriously what you consider some unbelievable thing?

I just wasted my yearly allowance of sarcasm on this. That is how bad the Bucks suck. 

Wrestling is very visceral and about feeling. When watching Sabu there is a sense of danger in all of his spots. You don't know if they are going to go right. What you are calling contrived.

Guy A brains Guy B with a chair and places him on a table. 

Guy A goes to high place and lands on Guy B (who is unable to move due to being beaten up). 

Now you can point to times it went wrong whether by accident or design. But the basic concept is not contrived. 

Compared to the Bucks working a middle school dance recital with shitty superkicks.  

• Like 2

I wonder how much of the Usos routine is borrowed form the Bucks? Who superkicks more these days?

I am not sure if @West Newbury Bad Boy is trolling with the Bucks but I'd say they're pretty easily the best tag team of the 2000s in terms of longevity and high end match output. And now they're finding new venues to express their creativity in BTE. I started watching them back in the day with the DVDVR "god damn kids" mentality but it didn't take them too long to win me over.