DVDVR Message Board

Best North American in ring performers of last 20 years

Best American in ring performers of last 20 years  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a better in ring performer?

• Bryan Danielson
    • Shawn Michaels
    • It's a draw. They are both as good in the same way.
  2. 2. Who is a better in ring performer?

• Kurt Angle
    • Chris Benoit
  3. 3. Who is a better in ring performer?

• Bryan Danielson
    • AJ Styles
  4. 4. Who is a better in ring performer?

• Kurt Angle
    • Shawn Michaels
  5. 5. Who is a better in ring performer?

• Bryan Danielson
    • Kurt Angle

For example, when I opened a poll to compare Bryan Danielson and Shawn Michaels in other forums, the results was the win of Shawn Michaels with so many votes more.

However, in other forums, the majority is WWE/mainstream centric, while you appear to be prepared in many field, both historical wrestling, Puroresu, Lucha Libre, not only main stream wrestling.

For sure you are not people brainwashed by WWE

See, this board here is where we had multiple Dustin's that went multiple pages where several of us, myself included, argued quite strongly that Mark Henry was a better worker than HBK.

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

See, this board here is where we had multiple Dustin's that went multiple pages where several of us, myself included, argued quite strongly that Mark Henry was a better worker than HBK.

About Michaels I think that he's still a great performer. However WWE magnify with him. Probably even the fact that had great matches at WM was something that helped his case in the eyes of WWE centric people.

For sure he never had a period like Bryan Danielson's 2005-2010.

Only WWE centric fan can say that HBK is the best in ring performer of last 20 years.

12 minutes ago, alstein said:

I'd argue Rey and Eddy both deserve a spot on a top 4 list over Angle, Benoit and HBK.  (and both are/were Americans).    Rey easily, Eddy it's closer.

The wrestlers that I listed are not the only best. Next weeks I will open other polls in which I will put also others in the list.

13 hours ago, francescofuoco1998 said:

Hi. I am a new member of the forum. OSJ invited me to join this forum. To start I would like to ask you about the best in ring performers of last 20 years.

I opened a poll with multiple questions in which I compare Styles, Danielson, HBK, Angle and Benoit among them. 

Obiouvsly I don't talk only about WWE, but the general landscape of pro wrestling.

Thank you very much

I'm going to scold you for having a very limited selection on your poll as you leave out some very significant names such as El Hijo del Santo, Blue Panther, Negro Casas, Samoa Joe, Cesaro,  Rey Mysterio, to name but a few. However, looking at what you've given us to work with, I'll say it pretty much shakes out like this:

1. Danielson/Benoit: Both men deliver the goods on the most important aspect of a wrestling match, they seem believable.

2. A.J. Styles: His stay in TNA did him no favors, but the reality is he's just a hair below the top two guys and might pass them up before he's done. He certainly doesn't appear to be slowing down at all as he enters his 40s.

3. Kurt Angle: To me he's hurt by a tendency to be repetitive.  He's really, really good at what he does, but he's never going to surprise you.

4. Shawn Michaels: Michaels doesn't work pro wrestling matches, Shawn puts on self-indulgent exhibitions. I find him about as believable as Harry fucking Potter. To me, he's as irritating to watch as Mick Foley (another guy we can easily do without).

Of the guys I mentioned, Santito and Blue Panther within the confines of the highly choreographed world of lucha libre manage to make it seem like a legit athletic contest. That's working on such a high level it's difficult to contemplate. Samoa Joe is the latter day Harley Race. If you line up the entire WWE/NXT roster and ask who would you want having your back in a bar fight and you pick anyone other than Joe you're just being foolish. Cesaro is nearly perfect as a wrestler, just don't give him the microphone, he shouldn't be talking anyway, he should just be kicking ass. A couple more guys to watch over the next ten years, Pete Dunne and Aleister Black. Dunne is already the best heel in the world and he hasn't turned 25 yet. Aleister Blackis Cesaro v 2.0, just keep him off the mic, less is more when you have guys like this. They don't need to be cutting 20 minute scripted bullshit, if they talk at all it should just be to build up their next match and get their catchphrase in. More than that is unnecessary  and actually a liability. When you've got guys like Paul Ellering and Paul Heyman around USE THEM. There's absolutely no reason to have guys that are sub-par on the mic due to a language barrier killing their heat by talking when you've got great talkers being under-utilized. 

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not sold on that by any means, but someone posted a match at the time between them with very compelling evidence that at least that night Mark was the better worker. 

4 hours ago, francescofuoco1998 said:

For example, when I opened a poll to compare Bryan Danielson and Shawn Michaels in other forums, the results was the win of Shawn Michaels with so many votes more.

However, in other forums, the majority is WWE/mainstream centric, while you appear to be prepared in many field, both historical wrestling, Puroresu, Lucha Libre, not only main stream wrestling.

For sure you are not people brainwashed by WWE

You obviously weren't around for the annual March Madness polls.

39 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I'm going to scold you for having a very limited selection on your poll as you leave out some very significant names such as El Hijo del Santo, Blue Panther, Negro Casas, Samoa Joe, Cesaro,  Rey Mysterio, to name but a few. However, looking at what you've given us to work with, I'll say it pretty much shakes out like this:

Next weeks I will put in the polls also the names that you listed. About Mexico I always thought that is Central America, however I am wrong, I also controlled to Wikipedia, and Mexico is considered North.

I have AJ over Danielson. I think AJ's highs were higher, especially once NJPW and WWE got involved. Bryan got robbed of a lot of epic matches at the end, but, really...his WWE run was kind of a waste until that last year and I wouldn't put Bryan's ROH run that farther ahead of AJ's TNA run. 

Am I utterly out to lunch here?

58 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I have AJ over Danielson. I think AJ's highs were higher, especially once NJPW and WWE got involved. Bryan got robbed of a lot of epic matches at the end, but, really...his WWE run was kind of a waste until that last year and I wouldn't put Bryan's ROH run that farther ahead of AJ's TNA run. 

Am I utterly out to lunch here?

No, you make good points.  But I picked Bryan over AJ because as others have said, there was a sense of believability to his matches that you rarely see these days.  I never have any trouble thinking he's fighting for his life when he's in the ring.

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Samoa Joe is the latter day Harley Race. If you line up the entire WWE/NXT roster and ask who would you want having your back in a bar fight and you pick anyone other than Joe you're just being foolish. 

Are Braun; Brock; Sin Cara; Nakamura; Cesaro; Gable; and Gallagher all dead in this scenario?

AJ's hurt for me by a lot of stuff that's not really his fault in TNA, but he did get sucked into the overwrought work rate match craze, with Angle/AJ matches often being the biggest offenders in a national promotion.