DVDVR Message Board

2018 NCAAB: MADNESS

hammerva

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

The real "just cause" being that he is a terrible coach.

Such a weird tenure. Never finished top two in the conference but won a national title.

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

Buffalo brings much needed joy to WNY!!!! Also LIU Brooklyn made it and are a 5 star lock to get a free trip to Dayton. And can we make a new rule for the tourney: the ONLY teams who should be in play in games are at large bid teams. Every conference champion should get into the field of 64 automatically because they earned it. The at large teams got in via the grace of the selection committee.

On 3/7/2018 at 4:12 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Insert my annual complaint about teams with auto bids getting the play in slots here.

Yup. I've hated it since the very first play-in game.

Georgia sacked their coach and reportedly want to bring in Pitino. I wish on the grounds of basic human dignity I was just making that up but I'm not.

Wash Post had a nugget this morning that this will be the first time since 1978 that a DC area school won't be in the NCAA men's tournament

(For those wondering - in the weird geography of this area - this counts University of Maryland but does not count University of Virginia)

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

What they fuck is this over produced yet the audio is still a couple seconds ahead bullshit

And they are giving away the at large bids BEFORE the brackets. Killing the suspense 

Yes - it was mentioned earlier in the thread

Cbs and Turner hate everyone

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Oklahoma getting in proves that having one of the better players in the country will help you tons when your bubble team looks like garbage for about 2 months

They weren't even a final 4 in.  Come on :rolleyes:

On the one hand, I love that this just made Rhode Island the good guys to most of the country to strike this down.

On the other hand, I'm dreading that first round match when the refs inevitably call fouls on URI for "blocking Trae Young's shots", "playing defense on Trae Young", "not politely bowing as Young charges to the basket", and "breathing the same air as a legend like Trae Young."

Wife and I were legit thrilled when her alma mater - Marshall - won the Conference USA at-large bid.

Now I'll be even more stoked if Marshall upsets Wichita State so they can be put out of the tourney by my alma mater, WVU (assuming we can get by Murray State, which, the way we blow leads late, is ....?).

I know it's a little early, but that's all I want for Christmas this year. 

41 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Wife and I were legit thrilled when her alma mater - Marshall - won the Conference USA at-large bid.

Now I'll be even more stoked if Marshall upsets Wichita State so they can be put out of the tourney by my alma mater, WVU (assuming we can get by Murray State, which, the way we blow leads late, is ....?).

I know it's a little early, but that's all I want for Christmas this year. 

You must really enjoy sleeping on the couch!!!

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

Oklahoma getting in proves that having one of the better players in the country will help you tons when your bubble team looks like garbage for about 2 months

They weren't even a final 4 in.  Come on :rolleyes:

“We look at the entire body of work,” said Rasmussen, the athletic director at Creighton who is in his first year chairing the selection committee. “So we look at all the games. The games in November, December count the same as the games in February and March. And Oklahoma had six wins against top 35 RPI [teams]. They had some absolutely great wins.

I say this as someone who lives in Oklahoma. That's one of the stupidest defenses I have ever heard.  If you are winning big in November and getting your asses kicked in February and March...it's because you've been figured out.  By his logic, an NBA team that starts 14-2 but finishes 21-45 gets an automatic ticket into the playoffs.  

What's even more bullshit is how a team in the Top 25 the week before the NCAA Tournament seeds doesn't even get into the Big Dance (Middle Tennessee) but some random ACC team gets in instead because they did not win their conference tournament. 

Fuck, make Middle Tennessee a "first four" team and have them play the 9th best ACC team in Dayton instead of just telling them to fuck off to the NIT if these are the rules we are playing with.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cubbymark said:

What's even more bullshit is how a team in the Top 25 the week before the NCAA Tournament seeds doesn't even get into the Big Dance (Middle Tennessee) but some random ACC team gets in instead because they did not win their conference tournament. 

Fuck, make Middle Tennessee a "first four" team and have them play the 9th best ACC team in Dayton instead of just telling them to fuck off to the NIT if these are the rules we are playing with.

Yes yes yes. Plus that game would be awesome. No "happy to be here" bad team, just a fucking war between two pissed off teams that both think they deserved better.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 12:40 PM, Zimbra said:

Memphis is not-so-discreetly preparing to boot Tubby Smith and hire Penny Hardaway as their next basketball coach.  Penny apparently already has his assistants lined up.  Firing Tubby is whatever, but maybe at least wait until the season is over?

Official now.

I am disappointed we won't get to see Trae Young play again this tournament and extremely glad we won't get to see any of his teammates play again.  Woof.

I appreciate KU trying to keep a 1-16 matchup interesting.