DVDVR Message Board

2018 NCAAB: MADNESS

hammerva

26 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

At the rate we’ve been getting kinda dubious one-seeds, I’m just happy Kansas didn’t pick up this burden. 

And now I get to drive all my K-State alumni friends and family insane by insisting this should be easy for them. And who knows? Get Dean Wade healthy for next week... (They’re really more interested in ways it could go wrong, at the moment. There weren’t supposed to be expectations.)

Hey. It's a hard game for K-State.

No 16 seed has ever lost in the round of 32.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I would like to remind people that this is the second time a 16 seed has won in an NCAA tournament: several years back in the Women's tourney Harvard beat #1 Stanford. Given the disparities between the top women's programs and the rest that may have been a more spectacular upset than tonight.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I would like to remind people that this is the second time a 16 seed has won in an NCAA tournament: several years back in the Women's tourney Harvard beat #1 Stanford. Given the disparities between the top women's programs and the rest that may have been a more spectacular upset than tonight.

Stanford's two best players missed the game with injuries though.

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

But the best player on the Harvard team wouldn't have had a prayer of getting on Stanford's roster. They were missing their top 2 players but the gulf between even the reserves of a top team and like 98% of women's teams was and still is astronomical  (this is one of the reasons UCONN won over 100 games in a row).

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Virginia was missing DeAndre Hunter with a broken wrist, who was not only a key player for the Cavaliers, but one of their best energy guys (and considering how lethargic Virginia was, he would have been a huge help for them tonight.)

Your point?

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

But the best player on the Harvard team wouldn't have had a prayer of getting on Stanford's roster. They were missing their top 2 players but the gulf between even the reserves of a top team and like 98% of women's teams was and still is astronomical  (this is one of the reasons UCONN won over 100 games in a row).

I'm not trying to take anything away from Harvard's upset, but if it had been known before the committee finished the bracket that they were going to miss that game, Stanford wouldn't have gotten the 1 seed.

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Virginia was missing DeAndre Hunter with a broken wrist, who was not only a key player for the Cavaliers, but one of their best energy guys (and considering how lethargic Virginia was, he would have been a huge help for them tonight.)

Your point?

I'm not sure "missing our sixth man" is all that similar to "missing our two best players" even when it's a very good sixth man.

Plus, I mean, Virginia got flat out whupped. Harvard won by four in 98. UMBC won by twenty.

March Madness is really the only form of gambling where you enjoy losing when it happen in the most nutty way possible. 

So safe to say that Virginia's style of play will be not be duplicated by future coaches of the NCAA when you cant even make it out of the 1st round

My favorite stat is that the American East conference had more wins the tournament than the PAC 12 :lol:

• Like 1

To me it isn't even close.  Odds wise the Chaminade game was probably a bigger upset but it was early in the season and really didn't impact Virginia being a top 5 and sweet 16 team that year (I think it was in 1983).  Last night the season was over with that when probably 80% of America had them at least in their final 4 brackets

Wife is currently wearing a Marshall football jersey over top a white turtleneck.  

As soon as I decide we're not getting icy roads this morning, I'm off to the WVU fan shop to buy NCAA Tourney gear.

War has been declared.  Tomorrow will be ugly.  

Then there will be a basketball game in the evening.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

To me it isn't even close.  Odds wise the Chaminade game was probably a bigger upset but it was early in the season and really didn't impact Virginia being a top 5 and sweet 16 team that year (I think it was in 1983).  Last night the season was over with that when probably 80% of America had them at least in their final 4 brackets

I asked one of my DC sports talk pals and he said the older game was a bigger upset since there was no 3 point shot then. 

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As Cubs pointed out, she is from Naperville, Illinois.

Younger sister of Anthony Parker, fellow Bradley alumni and European superstar for Maccabi Tel Aviv before wrapping up his career in the NBA.

As soon as I saw they weren't covering the in-bound guy I knew Michigan was winning. 

The only reason you don't cover the in-bound guy in that situation is to foul someone before they can get a shot up. Either a few Houston players had a brain fart or Kelvin "Show Cause" Sampson told them not to foul. 

Great ending to what has been a pretty remarkable three days of basketball. 

I *LOVE* that Loyola team. I saw them play a few times on ESPN3 this season. I thought they'd get a stab or two if they managed to get into the dance. They just move the ball so incredibly well. 

I also can get co-workers to take depositions AND have written proof that I thought UMBC would play UVA tough. I didn't pick them to win. But I thought they'd be a "tied with three to go" type of team. I saw a few UMBC games this season to because I am a crazy person. There is usually a formula behind all of the close 16-1 misses and 15-2 upsets. One of the players on the underdog teams is usually a great player (Steve Nash, CJ McCollum, Popeye Jones, Kyle O'Quinn and Keith "Mister" Jennings all had NBA careers and were all on 15 seeds or 16 seeds that came close to a big upset) and/or the favored seed plays a deliberate pace (like Georgetown vs. FGCU). Jairus Lyles on UMBC was a Top 100 recruit in high school who went to VCU but didn't get any minutes/lipped off to coaches his freshman year before ending up playing close to home. Not that he's a NBA level player, but he's been really good this year and would have gotten minutes on every team in the ACC. Virginia plays the slowest pace in all of college hoops. Also, the 5'6" kid from Puerto Rico on UMBC (and AmEast Defensive Player of the Year) got into the lane and wreaked some havoc on the pack line with kick-outs.

Also, despite my amazing prognositcation skills and foresight to think UMBC had a chance, I am DEAD LAST in my office pool at work.