DVDVR Message Board

2018 NCAAB: MADNESS

hammerva

Why is the Big 10 tournament so early this year?  Usually the finals are on the day or the day before the brackets come out.  Now it is finishing before the even little conferences like Big South or MEAC are even starting

9 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Why is the Big 10 tournament so early this year?  Usually the finals are on the day or the day before the brackets come out.  Now it is finishing before the even little conferences like Big South or MEAC are even starting

They moved it forward a week so they could play it at Madison Square Garden.

34 minutes ago, Dewar said:

They moved it forward a week so they could play it at Madison Square Garden.

Since the Big East is locked in for the following week.

It's mind blowing that you have the Big 10, Big East and ACC all playing their tourneys here in Gotham over the next week or so. Like basketball junkie heaven.

Las Vegas has the West Coast, Western Athletic, Mountain West, and Pac 12 tournaments over the next 10 days. That's quite the list.

Meanwhile, the Ohio Valley tournament is in Evansville, Indiana (the OVC does not have any member schools from Indiana), and the Sun Belt is playing their tournament at the Lakefront Arena, home arena of the University of New Orleans. New Orleans has not been in the Sun Belt Conference since 2009-10.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 4:05 PM, Dewar said:

Meanwhile, the Ohio Valley tournament is in Evansville, Indiana (the OVC does not have any member schools from Indiana), and the Sun Belt is playing their tournament at the Lakefront Arena, home arena of the University of New Orleans. New Orleans has not been in the Sun Belt Conference since 2009-10.  

I mean technically the Big Ten doesn't have a New York team (Rutgers so isn't fucking NY) but yeah.

Apparently everyone else in the Big Ten hates sucking up to the East Coast schools so they are least locked into Chicago and Indy for the next 4 years and the rumblings are they will not agree to the East Coast again

If I was the Big Ten, I would be more displeased with having to run the tournament a week early, than going to the east coast. If they ran it in Baltimore or Washington to try and cash in on the Maryland fanbase, I would think there's no problem.

Rutgers to the Big Ten will always be one of those decisions that does not many any sense to me. They are not good at any sports, and nobody in NJ/NY seems to give a damn about them.

Because CBS and Turner hate you - they announced that this year they are first going to announce all 68 teams that made the field and THEN reveal the bracket

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Coaches are pretty pissed with the Big 10 for having to play games on 1 day rest this season so I think this dumbass experiment ends this year.

Not only that- come tournament time they're going to be ice cold after not having played at all for almost two weeks. Unless they're allowed to schedule closed-door games, which I doubt.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Because CBS and Turner hate you - they announced that this year they are first going to announce all 68 teams that made the field and THEN reveal the bracket

Terrible. But the fans of team #69 (looking at you, Ped State) will be able to start airing their grievances on twitter 20 minutes earlier this year.

Memphis is not-so-discreetly preparing to boot Tubby Smith and hire Penny Hardaway as their next basketball coach.  Penny apparently already has his assistants lined up.  Firing Tubby is whatever, but maybe at least wait until the season is over?

Spurs assistant Becky Hammons is reportedly the front-runner for the Colorado State job.

Kevin Stallings has been FE'd by Pitt after doing whatever you call the opposite of running the table in the ACC. The table ran them 0-18. Anyhoo, he's toast.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

Kevin Stallings has been FE'd by Pitt after doing whatever you call the opposite of running the table in the ACC. The table ran them 0-18. Anyhoo, he's toast.

1- Maybe the Browns will hire him.

2- I gave you a like solely because of your new awesome Yano avatar, BREAK!!!!

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

UCONN fires Kevin Ollie citing "just cause"

Georgia cans Mark Fox

The real "just cause" being that he is a terrible coach.

Buffalo brings much needed joy to WNY!!!! Also LIU Brooklyn made it and are a 5 star lock to get a free trip to Dayton. And can we make a new rule for the tourney: the ONLY teams who should be in play in games are at large bid teams. Every conference champion should get into the field of 64 automatically because they earned it. The at large teams got in via the grace of the selection committee.

• Like 1

counterpoint: a team that won less than 50% of their games before the conference tournament started hasn't really earned anything. They had a good week, and won a terrible conference's tournament. If they are lucky, they can draw Texas Southern in Dayton, and earn the right to get spanked by a number 1 seed two days later.

9 minutes ago, Dewar said:

counterpoint: a team that won less than 50% of their games before the conference tournament started hasn't really earned anything. They had a good week, and won a terrible conference's tournament. If they are lucky, they can draw Texas Southern in Dayton, and earn the right to get spanked by a number 1 seed two days later.

Bullshit. They earned their berth by winning the conference tournament. That's called an achievement and is the reason they are in the tournament to begin with, they shouldn't have to go through a play in game. I don't care if that makes mediocre power conference teams cry.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Bullshit. They earned their berth by winning the conference tournament. That's called an achievement and is the reason they are in the tournament to begin with, they shouldn't have to go through a play in game. I don't care if that makes mediocre power conference teams cry.

But on the other side, what's better for a team:

Get in a 16-seed play-in game and have a chance to WIN a game in the tournament (which, for most of the small-conference tournaments, would instantly be the greatest moment in their school's history)...

...or to go back to the old level, where they will pretty much get destroyed as a 16 seed by the 1 seed. And in all likeliness, the 15 seeds will get destroyed by the 2 seed again (it's not coincidence that the rise of 15/2 upsets can be attributed to the play-in games, because it meant that the four teams that would have been the 16 seeds are playing each other, meaning two teams that SHOULD HAVE been 15 seeds are 16 seeds without a playin...and suddenly, there's two teams who should have been a 14 seed playing a 15 seed- and we know 14 seeds beating a 3 seed is perfectly normal.)