DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

The early reaction is that basically the Yanks are moving on from Cano but not ruling out signing him if he comes back to them at the price they offered him.

From Trade Rumors

Things have stalled somewhat with Cano, however, as the Yanks don't want to go far beyond $170MM over seven years and Cano's team looking for about $260MM.  Heyman spoke with sources who didn't rule out the Yankees continuing their purusit of Choo or Beltran, but it would seem unlikely at this point.  One source told Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter) that a deal with Ellsbury or another top outfielder won't preclude the Yanks from re-signing their star second baseman

That's why you don't make Jay Z your agent. Nobody gets baseball players their money like Scott Boras

Well remember - Cano fired Boras to go with Jay Z.

So this might be Boras' ultimate Fuck You

The thing about Ellsbury's injuries: they're not recurring. It's not like he has a balky knee or shoulder or whatever. He broke four ribs in a freak catch three years ago, and dislocated his shoulder on a bad slide into second base. I'd be more wary about his injuries if they were something along the lines of Chase Utley's chronically shitty knees. It's like talking about Greinke being hurt when talking about the rib he broke playing in a basketball game a couple of years ago - not exactly everpresent.

The thing about Ellsbury's injuries: they're not recurring. It's not like he has a balky knee or shoulder or whatever. He broke four ribs in a freak catch three years ago, and dislocated his shoulder on a bad slide into second base. I'd be more wary about his injuries if they were something along the lines of Chase Utley's chronically shitty knees. It's like talking about Greinke being hurt when talking about the rib he broke playing in a basketball game a couple of years ago - not exactly everpresent.

Still...even if we eliminate injuries out of it,  $20M a year... is he really worth that?

Technically - no one is probably worth $20 million a year if we are being honest with ourselves.

But that is if we are in GET OFF MY LAWN!!! mode

I think at this point - for me - length of any contract is the real key to look at.

Still...even if we eliminate injuries out of it,  $20M a year... is he really worth that?

In the new reality, yes. AJ Pierzynski got $8.25 million and he had an OBP under .300 last year. Marquee players aren't hitting free agency as early anymore, and as a result, teams signing free agents need to pay more of a premium.

Thus far in the AL west:

Rangers added Prince Fielder.

Angels have added David Freese and Joe Smith.

Astros added Dexter Fowler.

A's added Craig Gentry, Jim Johnson, Luke Gregerson, Scott Kazmir and Nick Punto.

and the Mariners have..... overpaid for Willie Bloomquist.

Yeah, that's gonna lure Cano here.

So apparently the Mariners are in panic mode and are rumored to be floating a deal for David Price that would have them giving up Taijuan Walker. 

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2013/12/4/5176764/mariners-rumors-mariners-in-on-david-price-may-offer-taijuan-walker

Also they're apparently going after Cano full throttle:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/mariners-met-with-robinson-cano-yesterday.html

The thinking is, if they land Cano they can offer up Walker and Nick Franklin

They can offer all the money in the world but getting 1 big pitcher and 1 big hitter won't make them into contenders.  They currently have no offense at all and if Cano goes there will just get walked 120 times a year, they need to get him some protection if they do end up signing him.  And I don't mean Raul Ibanez as that protection.