DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Among the rumored targets for the Mariners job: Chip Hale of the As, Ron Wotus of the Giants and Pete Mackanin of the Phillies. I don't know anything about these guys, anyone got some info on them?

Among the rumored targets for the Mariners job: Chip Hale of the As, Ron Wotus of the Giants and Pete Mackanin of the Phillies. I don't know anything about these guys, anyone got some info on them?

I remember Chip Hale was in the Twins farm system forever. I had no idea he was a coach somewhere.

Fun fact: You know that clip where the player (Rodney McCray, IIRC) runs through the fence chasing down a fly ball? Chip Hale was the guy that hit that ball.

Girardi back to the Yanks for 4 more years per the Yanks themselves ($16 million for the 4 years)

And Jim Bowden is saying the Nats are strongly considering Cal Ripken Jr as their manager which really would be the ultimate Fuck You to the Os

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Please Theo, sign Mike Maddux...Please Theo, sign Mike Maddux...Please Theo, sign Mike Maddux...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SIGN MIKE MADDUX...

Does everyone remember that episode of South Park where Cartman saw the funniest thing he's ever seen, and he broke his "funny filter"? That would be me if the Nationals hired Dusty Baker.

Oh God yeah - Dusty is my #1 choice for them. Cal is #2Both would bring great entertainment to my life for a variety of reasons

Poor Strasburg, from strict pitch counts and inning limits to DUSTY BAKER in just two years would be something else.

I'm pretty sure Dusty would figure out a way somehow overwork Bryce Harper into a career-ending injury, too.

I really, honestly, do want Dusty Baker to finally break through one season and prove us all wrong.  It would be nice to see.

I am just not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

So now the new hotness among the more intelligent Cubs fans is Dave Martinez. After reading up on him and seeing he comes from the Joe Maddon coaching tree, he's now who I'm hoping becomes the next Cubs manager, if Mike Maddux is passed over. Anyone but Acta or Hinch.

BTW, this is what Girardi had to say about the Cubs situation:

“Chicago is special to me, and I think it will always be special to me,” said Girardi, who grew up in nearby Peoria, attended Northwestern and was drafted by the Cubs. “But this place is really special to me too because of what I’ve experienced here… My kids and my wife are established in the community here, and to stay we just thought it was important .”

Dude is a class act. I wish we had him, but I'll settle for wishing him all the best.

It's tough to gauge how a bench coach would manage, because you really don't see what they do during a game. I think Martinez would be a good choice though, since he's been with Maddon for the last few years and is probably being groomed for the right situation

That's what our hive mind is saying. He's been with them since 2007 and has seen the shitty times and the good times. Also, it would be interesting to see he and Ryno turn in their lineup cards whenever the Cubs plays the Phillies. The Chicago Sun Times is reporting that the Cubs apparently did ask the Rays for permission to speak with Martinez, so we'll see what happens. Couldn't be any worse than Rick Renteria.

That's what our hive mind is saying. He's been with them since 2007 and has seen the shitty times and the good times. Also, it would be interesting to see he and Ryno turn in their lineup cards whenever the Cubs plays the Phillies. The Chicago Sun Times is reporting that the Cubs apparently did ask the Rays for permission to speak with Martinez, so we'll see what happens. Couldn't be any worse than Rick Renteria.