DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - NEW ORLEANS - 4/7/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, The Natural said:

Johnny Gargano is in my top two worldwide wrestling matches 2018: vs. Andrade Almas at NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia and vs. Tommaso Ciampa from last night's NXT TakeOver: New Orleans .

Those are also the two longest matches in NXT history.

Drake being dressed in a no-nonsense basic NXT shirt with gloves rather than a traditional zebra was a nice touch.

They teased Drew having unfinished business with Almas with or without the title on the pre-show. My guess is Almas sticks around for at least another takeover. Strange having him drop the belt here if he isn't being brought up though. 

If I was to hazard a guess at post-Mania call ups: Sanity, Ember & Almas w/Vega

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The ladder match had the perfect variety. Holy shit high spot dudes and huge monsters wrecking shit.  Something for everyone.  I think all 6 men came out looking strong. 

Well put.

• Like 1

I was drained after the show was over. I mean that ladder match to start the show was something else. I wasn't expecting it to be so damn great. I was surprised Cole won. I was sure EC3 would weasel a win after pushing someone off the ladder at the last second.

Shayna Baszler never had me quite sold on her being a wrestler, but after tonight I'm all in with her. She delivered and then some. It's never a good sign when the champion enters first...especially with a special intro.  I think this might actually be a good sign about Ronda. She trains with her and if she's able to do half of what Shanya did, all might not be so bad.

The three way tag was good, but holy shit Roddy Strong broke my heart. I was in shock for a good few minutes after that. I had been calling Ciampa "history's greatest monster", but after that he has some company tonight. On a side note, AOP has to be main roster bound soon. I just hope they don't end up like The Revival. 

Almas/Black was slow to start but finally it got going. I honestly thought Almas would retain, but was pleasantly surprised to see Black kick his head off.

As for Johnny Wrestling vs. Ciampa. That was such a roller coaster. I kinda had my hopes up for blood since the ref was wearing gloves to start...but it was amazing none the less. Ciampa was on a whole different plain of heel hate when him came out. It's been a while since the crowd booed and cursed a guy like that at a WWE show. I really hope this keeps going. Let go straight to War Games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Just finished the show.

Gargano/Ciampa impressively delivered with expectations and the history between them in NXT from tag team to tag team champions to enemies. The reactions Ciampa got, swearing by fans in PG WWE is rare. Fuck you Ciampa and asshole chants. Both men with open shots to one another as the other hand was battling for the wrist tape.

From Johnny Gargano's twitter:

DaML7rGW0AY8meA.jpg:large

DaDQqkpWAAIiZBw.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Any word on dark matches and such?

I didn't see anyone respond to this so here.

Spoilers because it is for TV this week

Spoiler

Kairi Sane beat Lacey Evans

Heavy Machinery and Tino/Riddick went to a no contest because War Machine came out and destroyed both teams

War Machine was announced as "War Raiders"

• Like 1

As mentioned in the main thread - there is potential for them to immediately start playing off the Dunne vs. UE stuff as Adam Cole has to defend against Tyler Bate and Pete Dunne has a match during Axxess this morning (Dunne is wrestling Lio Rush)

I only saw the ladder match but thought it was great, thought EC3 looked a bit lost at times but did well for a guy that was thrown into a match like that for his debut. 

All 6 guys came out looking strong and I’m a big Cole fan so the end was perfect for me. 

Don’t get the Ricochet hype yet, maybe I will but i don’t see the big deal. 

I loved the show. In an isolated context, fantastic. I query where the finishes for pretty much everything takes us long-term though.

Ladder match, I figure you only had 2 real outcomes with Adam Cole or Velveteen Dream winning. Feel like they went the wrong path here - Cole is already far more over than adding a secondary title requires, especially with holding the tag titles. Dream's trajectory should be midcard heel champion that eventually becomes the gatekeeper heel that Tyler Breeze basically became. I'm worried he gets lost in the shuffle now as a result, unless we go Dream/Black again?

Ember Moon needed a big win here. She's constantly come up short against Asuka, won the title by beating nobody jobbers, and then eeked out a win the last time around against Baszler. They've kinda booked themselves into a corner here because I feel like they need to keep Baszler strong for when she either turns on Rousey, or its a big deal when she comes up as her second. Ember Moon I'm guessing they either give her one last shot at it, or they send her up with zero momentum and effectively DOA.

I got probably the least beef with the Dusty final, although if you're going to do a 6 man, and not need the titles, wouldn't it have been better for AOP to go back to back, and get called up strong on Monday? (I could buy AOP messing with Braun and friend for a while anyway). 

Agreed re: earlier sentiments about Black joining Nakamura and Finn as guys I just don't care about. I was beginning to get invested in Almas. Too soon. Too soon.

Ciampa/Gargano was one of the greats. But now where for both guys? That's as good a blow off as a feud gets. I'm not sure you call them up either. 

Fantastic show. The unsanctioned match was clear winner, but damn does both the North American and NXT Championship match make strong contenders.

Man, what a debut for Recochet, like he clearly lives up to the hype. It's too bad because Velveteen also transcended and played the role normally reserved for Jericho.

As goofy as O'Reilly is... he's surprisingly believable in-ring. And that glimpse of strong style vs British style... damn, I never knew I wanted to see that but I want MORE. Cannot wait for the faction feud.

NXT Championship: should have been called Oney Lorcan Invitational. Vega was quick and viscious and cunning... like even at the end, that was clearly on purpose to get a DQ. She's so awesome. And I think that's the first time we've seen Alister actually smile.

DIY, decided it was Hokuto no Ken day and dressed approapriately... I dig that. Gawd, the crowd was viscious towards Champa. And I think I just witnessed what it looks like in the Hall of Pain.

• Like 3

Based on the match times listed on Wiki - Ladder match when over 31 minutes, the main event was 37 minutes

Trying to think of the last time a non-gimmicky WWE show had two matches over 30 minutes (meaning when you dont count like forced lengthy matches like Rumble or EC or Survivor Series)