DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - NEW ORLEANS - 4/7/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Ho hum, just another literally perfect wrestling show from NXT.

Ember and Andrade look like the most obvious call-ups. Probably AoP too.

The future never stops looking bright for NXT, though. Love that they pulled the trigger on the Pete Dunne face turn, and UE vs. the UK faces is gonna rule. Black as champ feels like a total Drew McIntyre replacement, but Black can work and I look forward to an eventual match between the two. Shayna's gonna kill it as the ace in the women's divison.

This show is why I still give WWE $10 a month.

• Like 1

Great show. All the matches were much better than everything on Mania except for one match (I really loved Rousey/Angle vs. Authority).

Ciampa vs. Gargano was one of the very best matches I've ever seen. It's going to take what should be an impossible event to unseat it as my match of the year. Or decade. And I definitely got the Magnum/Tully feelings during it.

• Like 2

just got off watching this out of curiosity (I tapped out on NXT about 18 months ago, too busy, too much wrestling). I thought it was solid but nowhere near the OMG BEST WWE SHOW EVER proclamations that piqued my interest. Spotty contrived ladder matches have been done better. Shayna still looks green and I never rated Ember but they did alright. Tag was fine. Almas arrived a fully fledged character and is no surprise that once he found his feet he still is one. He and Zalina are a great act and I enjoyed the match with Black a lot without thinking it world-beating. Main event was objectively very good and I am up with this story if not necessarily super-invested - but it was also overlong and overwrought with symbolism. Gargano is probably the best hope of an organic American babyface star right now. Fine show.

• Like 1

Agreed but I don't get the Gargano: last hope for a babyface talk I often see on here. Zayn and now Bryan are on the roster. Zayn has crushed it as a heel, so I get that but his redemption story was going on, what, a year after Bryan's huge mania run? 

28 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Agreed but I don't get the Gargano: last hope for a babyface talk I often see on here. Zayn and now Bryan are on the roster. Zayn has crushed it as a heel, so I get that but his redemption story was going on, what, a year after Bryan's huge mania run? 

I guess I mean in the ones not on the roster and are generally 'out there' in the world of wrestling, valid points though.

That said if wrestling could power past PG (not that it should) then Joey Janela would be so much fun.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:46 AM, jaedmc said:

Shayna going over was great. Loved the finish. Baszler is tops in our house. I hope when Ronda decides wrestling isn't her jam, Baszler comes up to to send her packing.

I said something very similar. She needs to be the one to retire Ronda whenever it happens. I have only seen a handful of her stuff in STARDOM and on the indies, but it is crazy how quickly she has improved on the little things she was missing.

42 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Man, now I'm just sad that Sami's held fewer WWE titles than a 10-year-old referee's son. Which is, whatever you think of him, a sobering reminder that this NXT run doesn't promise Gargano much on the main roster. Saying that WWE can't book babyfaces is beyond cliche at this point, but that doesn't mean it isn't mostly true.

Regarding Baszler/Rousey: Not to overreact to one match, but Ronda didn't look like a flop, and she is six years younger than Shayna. Assuming Rousey doesn't lose interest relatively soon, I don't think a feud would go the way this thread might like.

Thoughts:

Ladder match: they somehow managed to put the belt on the least interesting guy in the match. A car wreck of a match.

Shayna/Ember: didn't care about it going in, and they didn't do much to make me care. Ember never beating Asuka and then getting the belt when she left with the injury really hurt her.

Tag titles: Roddy's character has gone from a guy who opens his ring jacket and yells "yeah!!!" to a little bitch who joined up with guys he could not beat who will open his ring jacket and yell "yeah!!!!". I guess that counts as progress. Kyle O'Reilly going for fighting spirit after that German suplex, only to fall backwards out of the ring is the greatest thing he has ever done in a wrestling ring.

Almas/Black: Almas is amazing. Black was good, but he was a clear number two in this match.

Gargano/Ciampa: Great match. I could have lived with less finisher spam, but they told an amazing story in this match.

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Regarding Baszler/Rousey: Not to overreact to one match, but Ronda didn't look like a flop, and she is six years younger than Shayna. Assuming Rousey doesn't lose interest relatively soon, I don't think a feud would go the way this thread might like.

I was impressed for sure. There was an air of rehearsal to her work, but hopefully as she keeps training that'll go away. Regardless I'd still want to see the two fight and if Ronda is actually good by then, then even better.

• Like 1

I just spent the last 2 weeks getting caught up on NXT from Brooklyn to present. 

I don't get the O'Reilly apathy on the board. I think he's a good heel who has potential to be a really slimy shitface. You can see it in his facial expressions. He's a total snake. 

Almas is a f'n star and once he gets a better grasp on the English language can be just as great as Eddy. 

Black is just kind of there. It's a character that needs more refinement. I don't think he was ready for the belt. 

Velveeta Dream has the it factor, but he's a guy that doesn't need a belt. If he was an 80s guy he's be in the Piper / Roberts role.

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Oh, and Kassius Ohno desperately needs to drop some weight, get some new gear. You can manage a thyroid problem - there really isn't an excuse for him to be turning into Buddy Rose.

The weight is secondary to the gear.. like just get gear that's more complementary to your freakin figure, KO! If he's into basketball so much, then get those basketball warmup pants, the classic ones that are not skinny fit.

I'm saying this because the weight is clearly not hindering his in ring performance and I don't expect him to be an athletic freak like Cedric Alexander.

• Like 1