DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - NEW ORLEANS - 4/7/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Just for the record - no one should be surprised at the ladder getting 5

It was only hours after the show that he and Alvarez declared it the best "multi--man ladder match" ever (the language might have been "ladder match of its kind" - basically they still thought there were some 1 vs 1 ladder matches that were better)

I loved the ladder match but it did probably have about 5 minutes that could be been trimmed out.

• Like 1

I guess if you're reviewing something from the perspective of what it's trying to accomplish I can see being that high on the match. It's certainly one of the best multi man ladder matches of its kind in that everyone came out of it more over than they were going in. It also helps that they're all fresh acts and not guys that we've seen working MITB matches for the last decade. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think I'm the only person who thought Moon/Baszler was the second best match of the night, but I stand by it.

I'm with you. Nearer to first than third, honestly. It felt more earnestly violent for having less of it, and really cleverly so, in places.

In general I guess it's nice that Dave's tastes align with the zeitgeist so well, whether because of his own influence or not. I'm almost always going to think the stuff he loves could have shaved a few minutes and spots--once we're into "ok, this is an Avengers movie" territory, I get a bit detached--but that's ok.

I really want to know who the one person who gave Takeover a thumbs down was in the WON poll

NXT TAKEOVER POLL RESULTS

Thumbs up 634 (96.9%)

Thumbs down 1 (00.2%)

In the middle 19 (02.9%)

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I really want to know who the one person who gave Takeover a thumbs down was in the WON poll

NXT TAKEOVER POLL RESULTS

Thumbs up 634 (96.9%)

Thumbs down 1 (00.2%)

In the middle 19 (02.9%)

My guess: Ciampa.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Amazing Dave Meltzer's never given Daniel Bryan a 5 star match. 6 from me ; ).

Between 1998 - 2011 - Dave only gave 9 matches 5 stars (5 had Kenta Kobashi in them and 3 of those were Kobashi vs. Misawa)

Since the Tanahashi era began is when Dave started handing them out left and right to New Japan. Every single year since 2012 - he has given at least one Tanahashi match 5 stars.

2012 - 2017: 23 matches got 5 (or more) stars. 20 of the 23 were NJ. The other 3 were PWG

And the other helpful reminder - the amount of stuff Dave actually rates is like maybe 5% of all wrestling. The only indie stuff he did (does) was Ring of Honor. He maybe reviews one lucha a show a year (usually TripleMania)

So in short - using star ratings to judge wrestler quality is as stupid as judging a player's worth based on number of All Star Game appearances.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He did give a TNA match 5 stars, Joe vs. Styles vs. Daniel's so I am surprised Bryan didn't get a few especially since Bryan was winning all those WO awards every year 

If you look through the list - he had like two or three 4 3/4 ones in ROH

I do them for fun, don't know that says about me ; ). I'm not all if I can be serious for a minute Lance Storm(c). Make an opinion but you don't have to rely on others to verify yours (Meltz' ratings, Rotten Tomatoes).

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Star ratings are fun and all, but it shouldn't bother anybody that a Daniel Bryan match has never gotten a five star rating from Meltzer or whoever. Just enjoy what you like and move on. 

This.

• Like 2

Roderick Strong with the Undisputed Era just feels right. It would have made more sense at War Games, but at least we have it now.

Shayna looks kinda cute in that pic. 

I'm pysched for the Bethlehem house show next Friday.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:49 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I think I'm the only person who thought Moon/Baszler was the second best match of the night, but I stand by it.

I honestly thought Dave was gonna go over five for the main event. Like *****1/4 based on the way he talked about it and the write up.

I'm with you. But then again, I wasn't sold on the ladder match and I thought Almas and Black was a close third best.

6 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Almas must be tiny.

He is 5'9/5'10 depending on what source you want to believe

That's another reason having Vega with him helps - he always looks bigger because she is so tiny

• Like 2