DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - NEW ORLEANS - 4/7/2018

Dolfan in NYC

If that is the future for Ohno and it does seem that way I hope they atleast keep letting him get in the ring with unsigned guys and it would be really nice if they do so in ways that make tape, like let him work shows for UK promotions and the like. It'd be a shame if his work became harder to see

I don't always love Mauro but I'll take his enthusiasm over what we get on the main roster (outside of Graves that is). He makes eye rolling jokes but at least he seems really invested and really cares about things. Michael Cole can be good, I thought he was fantastic for the UK Tournament last year, but he often comes off flat and rigid which is probably a lot to due with having Vince in his ear. I get some of the criticism people have for Mauro,  the jokes and references, but his energy is almost always of benefit to the product. 

• Like 3

Totally over the moon for this show. Phil and I wrote it up and it's honestly one of my favorite wrestling shows I've ever seen. I can't think of too many WWE women's matches that stack up to Baszler/Moon, and Almas and Gargano are just on another level right now when it comes to big time main events. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2018/04/nxt-takeover-new-orleans-4718.html

I think I'm the only person who thought Moon/Baszler was the second best match of the night, but I stand by it.

I honestly thought Dave was gonna go over five for the main event. Like *****1/4 based on the way he talked about it and the write up.

Hey, NXT haveas many five star matches this year to date than New Japan.

And I'm not necessarily saying it should've gotten over five (I honestly don't know what the difference between a perfect five star match and a six star match is) just that I was starting to expect it as I read the review.

Edited because I forgot Will/Marty got five.

I'm with you, I thought it was possible but I was thinking 5's for both the ladder and unsanctioned match.  That said and I love current NJPW,  but I still think Dave is a little more pro-anything non-WWE.  There's been some recent examples.  I did not buy Scurl and Ospreay as a 5 star match.  I think 4.5 would have been fair but a heel emptying his entire arsenal and then some and still losing to the other guy's standard finisher,   I can't agree with that score.  

There was also the six man tag in PWG at BOLA weekend maybe last year that received 5 stars and I thought at best it was 4.  Maybe. It was just a silly match to me and way overrated. 

Golden Lovers vs. Young Bucks had the backstory and the drama so I can't complain about it. 

Elgin/Naito was another I disagreed with.  Elgin did some pretty insane shit and still lost.  Just stuff that didn't really even play into the story of the match.  Just power move after power move completely emptying his tank and he kind of looked dumb in defeat.   Plus,  fuck Elgin.  

29 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think I'm the only person who thought Moon/Baszler was the second best match of the night, but I stand by it.

I honestly thought Dave was gonna go over five for the main event. Like *****1/4 based on the way he talked about it and the write up.

No Reseda tax. 

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

.... I liked Will/Marty more than anything on NXT this year. I have it second on my MOTY list behind Sabre/Okada.

That's fair it's the finishing stretch that soured me.  After Marty stomps on his neck several times there is no comeback.  That's the finish.  A comeback at that point is too much. 

There's definitely an argument that Marty probably should've won at that point, but part of it is because of the unplanned bad landing on the Spanish Fly made the already planned neck work seem even more devastating.

But the blood added so much to the match. Rare color is the best thing in wrestling.