DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - NEW ORLEANS - 4/7/2018

Dolfan in NYC

47 minutes ago, The Natural said:

With what NXT's become particularly 2015 to present day, Triple H can do no wrong when it comes to NXT. Cheers, Trips' and NXT!

44 minutes ago, turk128 said:

It all started with that fruit basket.

DaQTyHcWkAAzpud.jpg

I think the announcers tried to make it clear that Roddy made his decision to join UE mid-match, hence Cole and KOR’s shocked expressions. Biggest problem I have with the tag match is that Undisputed Era wins the Dusty Rhodes tag classic without ever being in the tournament. 

• Like 2

Gargano/Ciampa kinda crossed my line of believability. Much like the Almas fight did. I get that Gargano doesn't quit, but at some point it becomes fucking ridiculous. I still had fun with the story and I dig the effort but there at least three moments that I felt should have been the end.

Powerbomb on the concrete is fucking lights out, maybe even a stretcher job depending on the guy. The way Ciampa hit the ground that shit should have been OVAH.

Esposed turnbuckles are finishes to me, so lawndarting a guy into it should end it.

The top rope powerbombbackcracker was another one where I was like "These moves mean nothing."

That said, I really dig both guys and thought they did lots of stuff well. Just too much stuff. Maybe one day I'll be able to give up the ghost and just accept the "Get All the Holy Shit In" style of wrestling, but I'm not there.

Loved that it took one match for Ricochet fans to sacrifice him at the Altar of the  Big Men, chanting for the monsters to just toss him around like he was James Ellsworth.

My sons apparently were rooting Adam Cole. My 3 year old popped big and at him winning the ladder match going "That's my guy!"

Same for Aleistar Black. I dig that guy. I don't know how he works on the main roster, but I'd love to see him and Roman Reigns fight.

Shayna going over was great. Loved the finish. Baszler is tops in our house. I hope when Ronda decides wrestling isn't her jam, Baszler comes up to to send her packing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Gargano/Ciampa kinda crossed my line of believability. Much like the Almas fight did. I get that Gargano doesn't quit, but at some point it becomes fucking ridiculous. I still had fun with the story and I dig the effort but there at least three moments that I felt should have been the end.

Powerbomb on the concrete is fucking lights out, maybe even a stretcher job depending on the guy. The way Ciampa hit the ground that shit should have been OVAH.

Esposed turnbuckles are finishes to me, so lawndarting a guy into it should end it.

The top rope powerbombbackcracker was another one where I was like "These moves mean nothing."

That said, I really dig both guys and thought they did lots of stuff well. Just too much stuff. Maybe one day I'll be able to give up the ghost and just accept the "Get All the Holy Shit In" style of wrestling, but I'm not there.

Completely fair argument, one that crossed my mind as I was watching as well. I think, for me, the fact that I was so emotionally invested in the characters and storyline trumped the disbelief factor.

If two guys with no build were thrown out there and had the same identical match, I think many, many more would have been shitting on it.

4 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Ember Moon needed a big win here. She's constantly come up short against Asuka, won the title by beating nobody jobbers, and then eeked out a win the last time around against Baszler. They've kinda booked themselves into a corner here because I feel like they need to keep Baszler strong for when she either turns on Rousey, or its a big deal when she comes up as her second. Ember Moon I'm guessing they either give her one last shot at it, or they send her up with zero momentum and effectively DOA.

Almost everyone has lost their final match before moving up. Leave town on your back. When her music hits on Monday or Tuesday she will have all the momentum in the world. Then we can see how quickly wwe squanders it. 

• Like 1

Count me in the camp that thought the main event went a little overkill. That said, the finish was great and their execution was off the charts so I can't really complain.

Big fan of everyone in the opening match. Props to Dream for not wavering on that elbow drop off the ladder. No idea what Ricochet was going for at the end though. Jump on Lars' back and then Cole dumps both of them? Right guy won too, especially with a heel Strong to make a run at the world title.

Stoked for Shayna's win. Ember Moon just seemed like a lot and never clicked for me but Baszler is a no nonsense, ass kicking bully heel and I can easily get behind that.

I was also weirded out when Black smiled. Didn't know he could do that.

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I thought the pacing more than made up for any potential bloat. The moves to selling ratio worked out well for me.

Yeah none of it actually felt like "Bloat", which is odd. Pacing was great. Just that some of the spots they built to felt like absolute game enders. And for it not to be took me out of it, instead of going "OH HOLY SHIT HOW IS THIS HAPPENING."

I fucking LOVED the finish they did go with though. For such a sweet looking guy, I think Gargano may be a fucking psychopath. I remember watching him have a big blow off match with Chuck Taylor and he blew my fucking mind when he poured thumbtacks in Chuckie's mouth and then superkicked him in the face so they sprayed out. Like who comes up with that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

No idea what Ricochet was going for at the end though. Jump on Lars' back and then Cole dumps both of them?

Yeah I think the plan was for him to Jump on Lars' back and for Lars to just keep climbing, which would have been hilarious.

My favourite part of the finish of the main event was how Johnny has come full circle with Ciampa. After the war they had they revisisted the scene where they sat down in the ring together and Johnny let his guard down again last night. But this time he let is guard down because he knew that Ciampa would try to screw him one last time and he was ready with a counter that would go on to lead to the finish.

Great show, Mania will definitely top it just because of the spectacle of it being WrestleMania, but they have a hard act to follow.

1 hour ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

I think the announcers tried to make it clear that Roddy made his decision to join UE mid-match, hence Cole and KOR’s shocked expressions. Biggest problem I have with the tag match is that Undisputed Era wins the Dusty Rhodes tag classic without ever being in the tournament. 

I don't know.  I think it's rather appropriate for a tournament named after Dusty Rhodes to have a nonsensical finish to it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3