DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I watched Sunday's episode of Homeland today. All I have to say is, Carrie is a goddamn fucking idiot. I suspect this man of being a traitor to the United States and a Russian agent. I'll bring my young daughter to his house, stay with him and, just for good measure, also have sex with him! Of course that's pretty much the plotline of every season so far - Carrie falls for a really bad guy, and it blows up in her face. I guess it also has a lot to do with her mental illness, but still.

Saul's "what the fuck Carrie I'm so disappointed in you" face at the end was everything, though. At this point I'm actively rooting for her sister to take custody of Frannie.

Everything you said is correct , BUT I get the impression she had sex with him just to try to derail his line of questioning.  I mean know I always forget what I'm talking about when the opportunity to get down presents itself. 

Also, she only wanted to go back to his house so she could finish searching it again.  Remember, when she and her team were leaving, she said "I have to get back in there!"  Yes, Carrie is that fucked up.  She'll take her kid to a Russian agent's house under the premise of pancakes just so she can finish tossing the place.  Damn.

On the subject of kids in drama shows that are not specifically about families?  Just don't do it.  I can't think of a show that improved with the addition of kids, but I can definitely think of shows that got worse because of it.  "Let's go on this adventure BUT WAIT I need to find a sitter first" is nobody's idea of compelling storytelling.  Remember the Brody seasons when they actively wrote plotlines around Brody's daughter?  Awful.  I reminded a coworker of the "Brody daughter and her boyfriend run over a hobo" storyline and he almost threw me out a window.

It was always funny how Dexter at least wrote his dead wife's kids out of the show.  It was so clumsy -- "they wanted to live with their grandparents, so I let them."  I'm also hoping Carrie's sister gets custody just so we can get on with the plotlines instead of the riveting story of trying to find a hotel and some breakfast.

Regarding Dexter, never forget: Dexter's last act before faking his death (and fuck spoilers because that last season and the series finale is the worst of all time, consider me a guardian angel preventing someone else from making the same mistake of watching it) was leaving his kid with his serial killer girlfriend.

As for better tv shows, I'm happy that Silicon Valley is back, but they've double downed on Richard being a complete dick. I thought the end of last season would have brought Richard back down to Earth and he would just be a neurotic, anxious, and terrible CEO, but he's right back to being a neurotic, anxious, terrible CEO and an asshole. I think I laughed the hardest with the stuff with Jian Yang and trying to say that Erlich was dead.

Barry was really good. I caught a Gross Point Blank vibe from the previews for it and that largely carried through to the episode. I'm all in for it though. Bill Hader was my favorite SNL cast member in a long time and I think I've enjoyed everything he's been in. He's more subdued here, but he's still awesome.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I reminded a coworker of the "Brody daughter and her boyfriend run over a hobo" storyline and he almost threw me out a window.

Totally justified. 

Of course it's par for the course. Aren't the showrunners of Homeland part of the merry bunch that gave us Kim Bauer: Cougar Food? 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Surprisingly Sincere Man said:

Supernatural just did a fun episode tonight where the lead characters got sucked through the TV into an episode of Scooby Doo.

I watched the replay just now.  ScoobyNatural was pretty fucking awesome!

3 hours ago, Surprisingly Sincere Man said:

Supernatural just did a fun episode tonight where the lead characters got sucked through the TV into an episode of Scooby Doo.

I've avoided this show for ages. But for some reason, I'm imagining this as equivalent to the puppet episode of Angel. Which is a good thing. 

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I know this was mentioned in this thread among all the Rosanne talk, but here is the test animation for the cancelled Deadpool show. It switches between the shows ideal animation style, and storyboard drawings.

As good as the ideal animation style looked, I think I like the storyboard drawings better.  Apparently, the thing that ultimately got this project cancelled is a Taylor Swift episode.  I mean...a show talking shit about Taylor Swift is pretty much my dream television show.

12 hours ago, supremebve said:

As good as the ideal animation style looked, I think I like the storyboard drawings better.  Apparently, the thing that ultimately got this project cancelled is a Taylor Swift episode.  I mean...a show talking shit about Taylor Swift is pretty much my dream television show.

During Atlanta’s first season, the brothers spoofed one of Swift’s peers: Stephen had the genius idea to let the show wonder what would happen if Justin Bieber were black.

So clearly the workaround is Black Taylor Swift.

Barry's premiere was very good. I think the best thing about it is how weirdly specific the jokes are, like the scowling Chechen grandmother sitting to the side when the mob boss's daughter is watching Jessie with her friends. Hader's really excellent, especially in the monologue with Henry Winkler when you can see him simultaneously relieved he poured his heart out and believing he just really screwed up. I was a little iffy about the premise, but so far it's great at subverting expectations. 

• RIPPA unpinned and locked this topic