DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The Rain

Netflix has announced that young adult thriller series The Rain will be premiering on the streaming/video-on-demand platform on May 4, 2018.

The world as we know it has ended. In Netflix’s The Rain, two Danish siblings emerge from the safety of their bunker six years after a brutal virus carried by the rain wipes out almost all humans in Scandinavia. After realizing all remnants of civilization are gone, they join a group of young survivors and together set out on a danger-filled quest through an abandoned Scandinavia, searching for any signs of life.

Set free from their collective past and societal rules, the group has the freedom to be who they want to be. In their struggle for survival, they discover that even in a post-apocalyptic world there’s still love, jealousy, and many of the coming of age dilemmas they thought they’d left behind with the disappearance of the world they once knew

The Rain is Netflix’s first Danish original series, and is created by Jannik Tai Mosholt, Esben Toft Jacobsen and Christian Potalivo.

I love bleak Dutch, Sweedish, and Scandanavian television, but I have to admit that they put out some pretty nihilistic television shows.

I think it is the 30 days of night thing that drives them all crazy during the winter.

So if a virus in the rain starts killing everyone, doesn't it poison every aquifer, well, pond, stream, river, and ocean in the world? Do people just survive on pre-plague bottled water then? If they're ignoring that then... well, fuck off. 

That clown thing can do the same

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 11:10 AM, Craig H said:

That looks pretty fucking good. I mean, of course Daniel would turn into an ego maniac at some point. I'm also digging the double turn.

It looks like it can go so many directions. From the trailer it seems like Johnny is a sympathetic person who is a mess but it doesn't particularly establish that he's a "good guy."  At one point I thought he was really going to be the "dark conflicted master with a hidden backstory" but with the twist that we know his backstory.  Maybe. But he's also still devoted to an ideology that pussies get what they deserve and seems to be turning that kid into an asshole to prove the point.

His motivation seems (from what little we see) to be Walter White style "I'll show them all that I deserve more respect than I've gotten."

It's got so much potential grey area it comes across like a comedic Breaking Bad where you are going to root for Johnny and against Daniel for awhile and then maybe flip and maybe flip again.  The one real copout would be if another "worse big bad" shows up and they join forces to fight it...and then maybe find out their mother's both had the same name...

Really I'm just

1) Super stoked that Zabka has been working so much again

2) Terrified that 80s nostalgia is officially a thing in a real way right now, basically in the same way 50s nostalgia was hot in the 80s, which means I'm officially my dad and this is the last gasp of my relevance. It lasts about six years and then the home.

Nickelodeon has parted ways with Dan Schneider - creator of pretty much all their hits over the last like 10 - 15 years (iCarly, Drake & Josh, Victorious, Kenan & Kel, Sam & Cat, Henry Danger)

Deadline seems to imply that there is more to the story than just them agreeing to do other things and it may or may not have to do with abuse

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wasn't he the guy who inserted way too adult humor in these shows with kids, would focus shots on feet or chests, etc.? 

Feet is definitely the focus of the "abuse" stuff as people found a bunch of tweets where fans of Sam & Kat were asked to send in pictures of your feet.

Of course I also realized today that he is the guy who played Ricky in Better Off Dead so that might explain a lot

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Nickelodeon has parted ways with Dan Schneider - creator of pretty much all their hits over the last like 10 - 15 years (iCarly, Drake & Josh, Victorious, Kenan & Kel, Sam & Cat, Henry Danger)

Deadline seems to imply that there is more to the story than just them agreeing to do other things and it may or may not have to do with abuse

Kenan and Kel ended almost 20 years ago and All That (which he also was part in creating) started in 1994 which is almost 25 years ago.

I feel so old now.

When Head of the Class ended, I seem to recall both Dan Schneider and Brian Robbins jumping to Nick to work on live-action comedies. (and the guy who played Arvid on Head of the Class was Kenan's boss on K&K)

My wife loves TV cooking shows, and one series she liked from a few years back regarded a "health foodie" named "Hungry Girl" Lisa Lillian. Googled her some time ago, and found out she's been Mrs. Dan Schnieder for 16-17 years. But just looking at the couple, I had this sneaky suspicion that the marriage was one of convenience -- they got married so one or both could keep their "secret lives" hidden. In exchange, the one with the secret would help make the partner famous.

10 hours ago, (BP) said:

Oof, I just saw a picture of Schneider. I never realized he also acted in a lot of the shows. I recognized him right away. 

Same here. Looked him up after I saw this post. He was definitely in that “people in hundreds of things but you can’t name them” catagorey. When I googled his name, a bunch of videos from many months ago also popped up about him being a creep. Besides the foot thing mentioned above, one was about unsupervised pool parties with cast members. So...yeah.  

I watched Sunday's episode of Homeland today. All I have to say is, Carrie is a goddamn fucking idiot. I suspect this man of being a traitor to the United States and a Russian agent. I'll bring my young daughter to his house, stay with him and, just for good measure, also have sex with him! Of course that's pretty much the plotline of every season so far - Carrie falls for a really bad guy, and it blows up in her face. I guess it also has a lot to do with her mental illness, but still.

Saul's "what the fuck Carrie I'm so disappointed in you" face at the end was everything, though. At this point I'm actively rooting for her sister to take custody of Frannie.