DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

The first two seasons of The Magicians were a bit uneven at times but god the third season is on pace to be my favorite season of any show ever. So many great episodes this season.

We were playing catch up the last few days and there’s really never been a show like it.

I caught about half of the Magicians last night and kind of liked it.  Handicapped because I've never watched the show at all, so I wasn't sure who characters were or what exactly was going on, but it piqued my interest.  Definitely thinking of checking out season 1 and 2.

I am not sure if anyone watched it or not but TNT has cancelled The Librarians

Dean Devlin said he is trying to get the show moved to another network

I forget who here is still watching Homeland but the last episode was amazing.  I think a lot of viewers fell off after the Brody plotline was killed off, but I feel like the show is actually better now.  Brody one good season, one decent season, and then one that was just shit.  We've had four very good seasons since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

USA announced that they are going to do a spinoff of Suits based around Gina Torres character

Translation:  I'm done doing voice work for Destiny 2 for now and I still need to make a steady paycheck.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I don't think I've ever hate-watched a show in my life.  If I was going to hate-watch something, I'd seriously consider making the Librarians that something.

I did enjoy the movies and liked the basic concept.

Based on what little I did see, Noah Wylie seemed to be auditioning for a really annoying season of Doctor Who.

The Deuce was pretty much The Wire Redux which is not an any way an insult, obviously. And for one of the shows with the most genitalia ever shown it was definitely one of the least sexy (of course, that's the point). Speaking of The Wire, the call back to 

Spoiler

Slim Charles whacking out Cheese by having Anwan Glover shoot that fucking asshole pimp was awesome. And then he did the Cutty phonecall! 

The list of the 42nd Street theater billboards was awesome too: Mondo Trasho, The Bird with the Crystal Plummag (sic), The Omega Man, Duck, You Sucker! And the pimps saying they went out and watched Fantasia to boot.

Another thing is art imitating life with James Franco at the end being a reluctant piece of shit. After his allegations, the dual persona definitely takes on a different tone.

12 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I forget who here is still watching Homeland but the last episode was amazing.  I think a lot of viewers fell off after the Brody plotline was killed off, but I feel like the show is actually better now.  Brody one good season, one decent season, and then one that was just shit.  We've had four very good seasons since.

I usually hate the Saul centric stuff, but I’m really digging his storyline so far this season. Like, I’m actively disappointed when they cut away to a Carrie scene or whatever, because the O’Keefe/Saul scenes are just gold mines.

Keane as a paranoid POTUS thinking everyone is out to get her strikes a little too close to home these days, but it’s fun stuff too.

They really need to fasten the pace of the Carrie detective bullshit, though. It’s slogging along and hasn’t been very engaging the last episode or two.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I watched and enjoyed it well enough. This season seems like a decent place to end it all.

I'm enjoying AP Bio alot as is The Wife. Heather is quickly becoming my favorite minor character at how quickly she's taken to Howerton's characer. We'll keep watching and see if i gets picked up for S2

James

On 3/10/2018 at 12:23 AM, Casey said:

I usually hate the Saul centric stuff, but I’m really digging his storyline so far this season. Like, I’m actively disappointed when they cut away to a Carrie scene or whatever, because the O’Keefe/Saul scenes are just gold mines.

Keane as a paranoid POTUS thinking everyone is out to get her strikes a little too close to home these days, but it’s fun stuff too.

They really need to fasten the pace of the Carrie detective bullshit, though. It’s slogging along and hasn’t been very engaging the last episode or two.

Exactly.  It really feels like, at least so far, that the writers were excited about the Saul/O'Keefe storyline and really put a lot of effort into that, but at the same time remembered that Carrie is the main character so they have to have her do something.  Every Carrie plotline so far has felt perfunctory, if not just an obvious effort to sideline her with no effect on the actual plot, like having her spend an episode chasing ransomware, spend another episode in county lockup, etc. 

22 hours ago, peterien said:

Currently watching Deadwood. Wild Bill :(

Just started a rewatch of Deadwood last week. Favourite show ever. So many of the actors put on, what I feel, are their career best performances.

17 minutes ago, elizium said:

Just started a rewatch of Deadwood last week. Favourite show ever. So many of the actors put on, what I feel, are their career best performances.

Had started it years ago watched one episode and never went back. Bought it on Blu Ray a few weeks back and love it. Carradine gives a great performance.