DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

In not really surprising news - the Heathers reboot (which was supposed to be on of the cornerstones of Paramount Network) has been delayed due to the Parkland shootings.

Originally it was supposed to start March 7

Now it is just "later this year"

I didn't watch Atlanta first season but the hype got me to start with this new one. 

I am an idiot for not watching the first season. This show is fucking hilarious. Kat Williams running down the street in his bathrobe isn't even close to the funniest or most fucked up thing on the show. FLORIDA MAN~!

Speaking of fucked up, the trailer for Blockers featured John Cena butt-chugging beer

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In not really surprising news - the Heathers reboot (which was supposed to be on of the cornerstones of Paramount Network) has been delayed due to the Parkland shootings.

Originally it was supposed to start March 7

Now it is just "later this year"

I re-watched Heathers last year and the whole time I kept thinking about how it's a movie that couldn't possibly be done today. JD would have been suspended and forced into years of therapy (or worse) after the shooting blanks stunt and that's in the first 5 minutes of the movie. I can't believe someone in 2017 decided that it was a good idea to make an ongoing series of it.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't watch Atlanta first season but the hype got me to start with this new one. 

I am an idiot for not watching the first season. This show is fucking hilarious. Kat Williams running down the street in his bathrobe isn't even close to the funniest or most fucked up thing on the show. FLORIDA MAN~!

Watch the first season. But yeah, fantastic season premiere. 

On the topic of fabulous FX things, I know someone else must care about

• Like 1

Watched the Unsolved pilot (the USA Biggie Smalls conspiracy show).  Surprisingly entertaining, considering I barely know who Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac are (I have no idea if I've ever heard one of their songs or not.  Probably not).  Listening to rap songs in the pilot probably represents about 66% of the rap I've listened to over the past 30 years.

KInda amusing that the cops unsuccessfully investigating the murder of Biggie in the flashback look more or less like real cops.  And the cop investigating the murder in the present-day - who will probably break the case -  looks like... Josh Duhamel.  

UGLY COPS ARE LESS LIKELY TO SOLVE CASES.  F*** IT.  IF A LOVED ONE EVER GETS MURDERED, I WANT DWAYNE JOHNSON ON THE CASE!

I don't think he'll be breaking the case either. There's a reason it's called "Unsolved"

I also heard they failed to license any of Pac or Biggie's music so that sounds bad, although I guess not if you've never heard them anyway. Just don't judge it on whatever is in the show.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't think he'll be breaking the case either. There's a reason it's called "Unsolved"

I kinda think Duhamel's case will "solve" the case, but there will be some sort of shenanigans that will see the evidence get buried without anyone getting charged (ie, "The Man" - record company, politician, powerful rappers, whatever - will interfere).

I had no idea the songs they played last night weren't B.I.G. or Tupac songs.  Again, there's only a handful  or rap songs I'd actually recognize and most of those hit the top 40 twenty years ago.  If they play "Mama Said Knock You Out" or "Fight For Your Right to Party", I'm good.  Anything more current, probably not.  

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiit! That first episode of Atlanta was awesome. I laughed so hard at times. The Florida Man stuff the first time got me, but then the call back to Florida Man killed me.

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

The line Glover gives to Katt about being a know it all fuckup who shit just happens to...that shook me and I'm not even living an Alligator Man type of life. 

When the cop asked Ern, "Does he really got an alligator in there?" I chuckled.  When he asked, "Is he friendly with you?" I died.  The Alligator Man doesn't have a friendly alligator, that would defeat the entire point of having the alligator.  

• Like 3

Percy Watson being the other cop was one of those, "holy shit..." rewind and confirm it was him type of things.

Yeah, asking if he really has an alligator was great, but what got me were the two other kids being like, "yeah he's got an alligator." Everyone knowing that Ern's uncle was a dick was pretty good too. Katt was about the most perfect casting ever for that role.

Beyond how good it is, it really got me wondering just how much time has passed since season 1. I also forgot some stuff from season 1. Was Ern arrested with drugs on him or something or would that have been something that happened in between seasons. Ern is now entirely homeless too. That was something else that made me appreciate that first episode. You start with the robbery and then Ern gets kicked out of his storage unit, all of this funny shit happens along the way like some kind of mirror universe Friday movie, and at the end you realize, fuck, Ern is really homeless now.

I'm really interested to see if there's a flashback episode to explain if it was the shooting that caused Al to be on house arrest, why Ern isn't managing Al, and why everything seemingly went wrong.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:59 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of fucked up, the trailer for Blockers featured John Cena butt-chugging beer

The Florida Man stuff and all the stuff with Kat may be funnier than anything from season 1. That isn't to say season 1 wasn't funny, it had it's moments, but I thought its strength was with how good the drama was and how good the storytelling was. 

49 minutes ago, supremebve said:

When the cop asked Ern, "Does he really got an alligator in there?" I chuckled.  When he asked, "Is he friendly with you?" I died.  The Alligator Man doesn't have a friendly alligator, that would defeat the entire point of having the alligator.  

His response is perfect too. More than anyone else Glover's sensibility reminds me most of Bill Murray because he's equally brilliant at manic comic energy and sardonic dead pan delivery. 

58 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Madeleine Mantock has been cast as the third sister in the Charmed reboot

Melonie Diaz and Sarah Jeffery had already been cast.

I approve of the new hot ethnic Pruitt sisters. #BrownGirlsWhiteMagic.

Others may not be so thrilled.

Twitter must be ablaze by now.

The Robot looks like a Bayformer and the show looks more like a sequel to Interstellar than anything.  I grew up watching syndicated episodes of the original series (no clue how well it might age) and am a bit meh about the whole "make a gritty reboot of everything" trend, but I'll give this a shot.

Yeah, that Lost in Space trailer doesn't really scream "grim and gritty" to me.  More... Spielberg/Imaginauts.  Least, that's the way I hope they go.

Not wild about a couple of the changes (go to space because Earth is dead/dying; the Robot being some sort of alien construct) but overall, they've got me interested.

Rented the first season of The Deuce, and to put it in the parlance of Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys, it is "greeeeee-heeeee-heeee-eeeeeasy". Neat to see all the Wire vets show up, and James Franco showing up as twins? That threw me for a loop, even though it was pretty much spelled out beforehand. I just finished the (long) pilot so I've gotta binge this one before it's due back tomorrow... later