DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I feel like the answer should be that it's still in, because it's a movie that a lot of people care about, and if I take it out then it makes people care less about the whole thing.

But this is triggering my OCD.  Big Marvel movies are supposed to open at the start of May!  And it's a slippery slope.  By 2040 they could be starting up in mid-February!  Argh!

15832106.png

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Funnily - I think not putting it in opens up the competition more

Oh for sure.  It goes at the top of both lists if it's in, and if it's not included, that's one less sure thing for everyone.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, RIPPA said:

Funnily - I think not putting it in opens up the competition more

It also guarantees that I will participate since there is probably no way I'd have a ballot done by the middle of April unless we posted the field for the pool by the end of the week..

I greatly regret not catching The Greatest Showman in theaters; it's a fantastic musical. It was just oozing with genuine enthusiasm and emotion. And the freakin tunes... mmmppphhhh. I hope Jackman does more musicals like this.

Now I gotta find a way to wind down... man, the movie got me pumped.

3 minutes ago, turk128 said:

I greatly regret not catching The Greatest Showman in theaters; it's a fantastic musical. It was just oozing with genuine enthusiasm and emotion. And the freakin tunes... mmmppphhhh. I hope Jackman does more musicals like this.

I want to love this movie but it is about PT Barnum and he was a bit of a dickbag in real life.  I am torn.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

I want to love this movie but it is about PT Barnum and he was a bit of a dickbag in real life.  I am torn.

Totally, but it's like a fairytale  version of him. And then you have Jackman playing him, not possible to hate.

I'm still amazed at how lean the movie was, like no filler whatsoever, everything counted.

And it wasn't up it's own arse, gawd that was a refreshing twist. All the recent Oscar-bait musicals were pandering in comparison.

Here is my friend's review of Red Sparrow.

"I have waited nearly seven years to see Jennifer Lawrence nude on the big screen.  It figures that when she finally shows her cans in a movie, she does it in a film that is full of so much self-loathing and creepiness that it made me want to claw my eyes out. 

Fuck this movie for ruining my dream."

Finally got around to seeing Alien: Covenant.  It was better than Prometheus, although I'm annoyed by lack of explaining how David got his body back.  I'm also pretty convinced that Fassbender just goes all in on anything he's there for.  I'm of two minds of wanting to see the last one if it's ever made.  It'd be interesting to see how the Engineer ship with the eggs will get to LV-426

13 hours ago, Raziel said:

Finally got around to seeing Alien: Covenant.  It was better than Prometheus, although I'm annoyed by lack of explaining how David got his body back.  I'm also pretty convinced that Fassbender just goes all in on anything he's there for.  I'm of two minds of wanting to see the last one if it's ever made.  It'd be interesting to see how the Engineer ship with the eggs will get to LV-426

I think the two films fatal flaw is writing the supposedly intelligent/skilled/experienced characters like they were the teens-you-wanted-dead-in-a-slasher-movie.

It's such a waste of Fassbender's talents.

EDIT:

Spoiler

And air borne alien infestation is almost as stupid as midi-chlorians.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, turk128 said:

I think the two films fatal flaw is writing the supposedly intelligent/skilled/experienced characters like they were the teens-you-wanted-dead-in-a-slasher-movie.

It's such a waste of Fassbender's talents.

EDIT:

Hide contents

And air borne alien infestation is almost as stupid as midi-chlorians.

Fassbender is far and away the best thing about the movies.  But yeah, a lot of these movies are "Supposedly smart people doing astronomically dumb shit" to advance the plot.  I think Elba's character in Prometheus was the only guy that did shit right, and that ultimately failed because Shaw fucked up later.

The airborne thing might've been a callback to one of the several early Alien 3 script idea.  But ultimately didn't mean a damn thing, because David evolved them into the facehugger eggs to get to the real early Xeno's anyway.