DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NHL SEASON: Period Three

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I think it's great they bucked the trend and got to play their whole career for one team, even if that one team is the embodiment of pure evil. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM ME no more cycling the puck with it ending in our net ever again.

But they played for Vancouver, not the Leafs.

It's too bad they went underappreciated the large, large majority of their careers here and really around the league. Model professionals, unique style, late career peak and twins. How weird is that? Fuckin' twins playing their whole careers together. I would've liked to see them play with Pettersson for one year, but I'm more than okay with them calling it quits earlier rather than later. Edler and kind of Tanev are all that remain from the 2011 run now AFAIK. We have some really bright, promising prospects for the first time in forever so hopefully it won't be too long before we stop being terrible. Boeser I've heard isn't too bad I guess. Pettersson, Juolevi, Dahlen, Lind, and Gaudette all look to have high ceilings. I mean, Pettersson is better than Forsberg, right?! RIGHT?!

Man you didn't have to sit there and watch those two cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle over and over knowing every time it was going to end up in your net, those two tortured Edmonton forever. The Leafs are just that annoying gong show that rolls into town once a year, their fans pay double face value for tickets, then post online "lmao your fans aren't there and you made $600".

• Haha 1

It really did feel that way for a while when playing against the Oilers. Only a matter of time. Surprisingly, Henrik only has 84 points in 95 games vs. EDM and Daniel 84 in 92. That is the most for Henrik but Daniel scored 88 points against the Flames.

I can't help but to feel that tonight's results could possibly be, at least in part, the result of some sort of...oh, I'm not sure what to call it...a kind of hubris, maybe...like they are some sort of message from the universe that transgressions will be met with a reaction of some kind...a sort of punishment or retribution that could have been avoided with a bit of humility.

I'm sure there's a word for it...

Yet another embarrassing loss for Detroit last night as they blew a 4-1 lead against Columbus and lost 5-4 OT. Same old story - lazy play, bad turnovers, guys out of position. After the game, Z basically accused guys of selfish play, saying they thought it was "a points night" when they got up 3 goals and they started taking shortcuts and extending their shifts. 

To me, the above is just confirmation that Jeff Blashill needs to go. I know he's been given a roster full of old guys and guys who lack grit and effort but... yeah. Doesn't matter - it's pretty much confirmed he's coming back. 

Here's your situation St. Louis. You have to not lose to the Blackhaws.

The Blackhawks are terrible, tired, it's they're 2nd to last game of a shitty year, they have their 3rd-string goaler, and they're losing 3-1 and they're short-handed.

GO!

giphy.gif

Jake Allen allowed 3, count em, 3 soft goals in a must win game. No matter how bad he is, he keeps getting chance after chance from this team and I don't fucking understand it. We shipped out Elliot, who was fantastic for us just about his entire tenure out so we can sign him to a big contract when he's unproven. Hutton has been one of the best goalies in the NHL this year. But nope. Ride and swiftly Die by Jake Allen.

Allen needs to go. Yeo needs to go too.

I think it was the year the Blues won the President's Trophy, then lost in the first round to the Sharks, that I realized the Blues would never win the Stanley Cup in my lifetime.  Once that set in, I could learn to appreciate and enjoy the exciting ways they've found to shoot themselves in the foot each year.  I'll always love the Blues and they'll never cease to entertain me, but I've got to be realistic here.  A crippling final-week Blues defeat to the Blackhawks is just absurdly hilarious.

What are the American sports franchises more hapless over their entire history than the Blues?

Padres?

Hawks?

Lions?

I think the Blues are worse because other endlessly bad teams are at least acknowledged as being sad and pathetic. The Blues are pathetic and no one even notices. They're like that invisible girl on Buffy that lives in the crawlspace above the band room and eats leftover tater tots they scrape out of the garbage.

4 minutes ago, piranesi said:

What are the American sports franchises more hapless over their entire history than the Blues?

Padres?

Hawks?

Lions?

I think the Blues are worse because other endlessly bad teams are at least acknowledged as being sad and pathetic. The Blues are pathetic and no one even notices. They're like that invisible girl on Buffy that lives in the crawlspace above the band room and eats leftover tater tots they scrape out of the garbage.

Two of those are/were my teams of that sport. 

At least they had all time greats when I was growing up (Gwynn, Sanders) 

Hey, the Hawks did what the Blues have yet to do: win a championship representing St. Louis.

I like how we have more Super Bowl wins, NBA championships, and American League pennants than Stanley Cup victories.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

This is the worst team in the history of sports.

Bela Legosi had a better chance against that Octopus in 1955 than the Blues have of ever not being a joke.

They're Chernobyl.

They're Salton Sea.

Chernobyl was an accident, the Blues are a disaster.

• Haha 1

When did Nashville fans lose their minds? They had a goal disallowed against Florida (hint: You are not allowed to spin the goalie around by jabbing his pads with your stick), and in protest someone mailed two dead catfish to the NHL office.

• Sad 1