DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NHL SEASON: Period Three

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I enjoy Vancouver non-stop losing but still beating Chicago handily. I mean, that bumps us back to 28th but now they just need to go and lose the rest of their games.

You aren't going to outfail Fail Housley and my Sabres. We will get that # 4 overall pick (like the league would ever allow us to win a lottery. Your 3 lotto winners: rags, Hawks, Habs, bet on it.).

Canucks to be #5... again. Fucking Sabres/Canucks expansion brothers. The dirt worst.

How long until the Rangers trade Dahlin because he's not immediately Hedman? They need Rick Nash mk 38!

• Like 1

Connor McDavid is the only reason I am paying close attention to the end of the season here. Four more points last night against Ottawa. Twenty-one goals in his last 25 games. His stickhandling is so gross. This guy could tell you he's going to steal your wallet before he does it, then succeed in stealing it anyway. Only one point behind Kucherov now for the scoring title. What a great race this year.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins looks so good on McDavid's wing and once again, the fans have been calling for this for literally a year. The team itself finally clued in that this might be worth trying like a week ago. Solid hockey men.

• Like 1

We've got five players over 90, with MacKinnon only playing 66 games too! Last two seasons only two players have scored over 90 and they both won the title and had over 100. Weird we could have two more join the 90 club and not one player hit 50 goals. 

If the hawks win the lottery I will never watch a hockey game again. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

My nightmare scenario remains the Blackhawks winning the draft lottery. I ran that lottery simulator webpage one time and it came up Blackhawks, and I left the site in disgust.

If NBC can rig the lottery... 

Tired Sharks and the Blues playing like the Hounds of justice tonight. Goddamn it's fun to root for a team that is playing fearlessly for awhile.

- End Columbus's 10 game winning streak

- End San Jose's 8 game winning streak

- Four overtime wins in their last 7 games

- Everyone said they would have to go at least 8-3 in their last 12 to get the playoffs. After five they are 5-0.

NO COMEUPPANCE AT ALL!!!!!!

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Microcosm of their season.

The best part was it was Fan Appreciation Night so after getting a 3-0 lead then managing to get blown out 7-3, after the game they had to do the most awkward one of those "everyone go to center ice and stick salute the fans" of all-time. There were like 5000 people still there and they weren't really in the mood for it. 

I choose to see the humour in my inability to divorce all this.

Honestly I think it shows how amazing McDavid is that despite Edmonton operating like a black hole, they might still beat three teams in their division (though catching the Flames probably won't happen since, you know, 7 goals against). 

The western conference is not what it used to be. Vegas walks right in and crushes it, half of the Pacific is a joke, Anaheim has been propped up by goaltending, Dallas are still a mess no matter what they do, St. Louis will never win a Stanley Cup for reasons unknown, suddenly Chicago don't know what they are anymore. Life comes at you fast.

This just in: Jack Eichel is very good at this hockey thing. 5 assists tonight in Smashville, 8th time in team history a player has accomplished that feat. It's amazing just how criminally underrated he is by lots of people.

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Now the Canucks start (barely) winning. Who wants Rasmus Dahlin anyway? 

Yeah, Detroit decided a three-game winning streak was a good idea.  It's nice to see them playing better but, c'mon, keep Fahlin' for Dahlin.  

The winning streak was slightly  negated by Arizona stomping St. Louis (comeuppance?) and Buffalo beating Nashville (worst team in the league beats best team in the league). Sabres have the top/bottom spot on lock down it would seem and there's a significant drop off from first to second in odds (18.5% to 13.5%, third is 11.5%), so it's really not the biggest deal if you finish anywhere between 3rd worst and 5th worst. Canucks still to play Arizona and Ottawa still plays Buffalo. It's so sad that the tank games at the end of the year are when I'm paying the closest attention, but here we are. Dahlin has all the tools to be a generational talent and there aren't really a whole lot of flops regarding high end picks like we saw in the '90s, with Yakupov being the only one that really sticks out recently and even he's "made it" as a regular NHL player. The other players in the top 5 all looked tremendous in the little bit I saw them during the WJC. Maybe Boqvist is the only one I'm concerned with in transitioning to the NHL but Brady Tkachuk is supposed to be better than his brother who's already put up 49 points in 68 games, Zadina is so slick, and Svechnikov is a big, fast, talented player.

At least we won't get to see that fossil Hitchcock bench his most skilled player in the playoffs while giving major minutes to arguably the worst player in the league (which he did in St Louis with Tarasenko and Steve Ott, it still gives poor @piranesi nightmares to this very day).