Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Dolfan in NYC

2017-18 NHL SEASON: Period Three

Recommended Posts

An expansion team has a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup. 

I just need to say that out loud, because I think if Vegas actually pulls this thing off, it will be the first time in (at least) North American sports league history that a new franchise wins the title in its first year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The closest I think anyone legitimately came was Carolina Panthers making the NFC title game in year two. Yeah, when the NHL did the '67 expansion a team got to the final but that had the hilariously dumb format where the original six were one division and all the expansion teams were the other. Boy was that an idea they didn't totally think through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The closest I think anyone legitimately came was Carolina Panthers making the NFC title game in year two. Yeah, when the NHL did the '67 expansion a team got to the final but that had the hilariously dumb format where the original six were one division and all the expansion teams were the other. Boy was that an idea they didn't totally think through.

In theory, it should have energized expansion fans, since they knew one of them would be in the final guaranteed. It was a good deal for Blues fans, to make 3 finals in a row. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

An expansion team has a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup. 

I just need to say that out loud, because I think if Vegas actually pulls this thing off, it will be the first time in (at least) North American sports league history that a new franchise wins the title in its first year. 

Chicago Fire in 1998 (granted the league itself was only 3 years old but still).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fwiw, David Poile is now the all time winningiest GM in league history, passing Glen Sather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I just need to say that out loud, because I think if Vegas actually pulls this thing off, it will be the first time in (at least) North American sports league history that a new franchise wins the title in its first year. 

Since you didn't specify how big of a league it had to be, the Winnipeg Goldeyes won the championship of the Northern League in their first year. Independent baseball is still professional baseball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, elizium said:

Since you didn't specify how big of a league it had to be, the Winnipeg Goldeyes won the championship of the Northern League in their first year. Independent baseball is still professional baseball.

And of course the New England Whalers. First Avco Cup champions, NEVER FORGET!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Doesn't really relate to anything, but this clip is such a colossal hilarious gong show that it is worth seeing. The Oilers game last night went south (WHAT A SURPRISE) and people on twitter got into talking about Other Things, and we were reminded that this game exists. Atlanta actually had to play the last few minutes of this game with no goalie because of Nonsense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

 

Doesn't really relate to anything, but this clip is such a colossal hilarious gong show that it is worth seeing. The Oilers game last night went south (WHAT A SURPRISE) and people on twitter got into talking about Other Things, and we were reminded that this game exists. Atlanta actually had to play the last few minutes of this game with no goalie because of Nonsense.

I'm going to start a Gofundme to raise money to get Rick Jeaneret in a studio and have him do play by play of that incident. Seriously I think that was the greatest moment in the history of the Atlanta Thrashers. Oh and those Oilers third jerseys were absolute dogshit, what the hell were they thinking (and yes I'm well aware of the irony of me being a fan of the team who literally kept putting out third jerseys that were always somehow worse than the previous ones)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is back after missing 18 games with a rib injury. He still scored more recently than Milan Lucic. Third in team scoring.

His reward? A line with Mike "The Dyslexic Squid" Cammaleri (2 goals this season) and Pontus Aberg (3 career goals). Lucic starts on McDavid's wing, again.

What in the blue fuck is this team trying to do, exactly? I really should just give up on trying to figure out anything with this team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*tries to ignore the Blues blowing a late game by looking at pictures of Jordan Kyrou and Robert Thomas while mumbling "Soon.... Soon.........."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of sports fashion, Toronto wearing a white sweater and white pants with blue stripes wrapped around them  for the Stadium Series game is not a good idea.  I mean you can turn off the lights in the stadium and see them  

This is one of the coolest looks of the rink and outside bells and whistles.  I would say these games look much cooler in football stadiums than baseball stadiums

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

In terms of sports fashion, Toronto wearing a white sweater and white pants with blue stripes wrapped around them  for the Stadium Series game is not a good idea.  I mean you can turn off the lights in the stadium and see them  

This is one of the coolest looks of the rink and outside bells and whistles.  I would say these games look much cooler in football stadiums than baseball stadiums

 

The last part is true, but it needs to said that Citi Field is a better venue for watching a hockey game than Barclays. The Islanders should make a deal with the Mets to make it a temporary home while Belmont is being built. Seriously that would be better than playing at Barclays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tweet was officially approved by Rusev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow impossibly, the Panthers are back in the playoff hunt.  

I'd love it if they could decide whether or not to suck, because this is driving me insane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Somehow impossibly, the Panthers are back in the playoff hunt.  

I'd love it if they could decide whether or not to suck, because this is driving me insane. 

I believe, as of the other day, they would play Tampa in round one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hello, is this the Annapolis police? Yes I'd like to report an invasion of Stormtroopers at the Naval Academy!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think his line, with the addition of Stastny, is the defacto second line now. Plus Laine has been on the #1 power play unit all season (17 power play goals so far). Was nice of the coach to force him to stay on the ice last night once the Rangers had an empty net, trying to get him a hat trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2018 at 2:45 PM, Death From Above said:

I kinda liked them, but they were pretty polarizing.

Weren't they the ones designed by Todd McFarlane when he was one of the Oilers 50 or so minority owners they had at the time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...