DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING PHOTOS THREAD.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

brymorishima.jpg

I had an edit of this pic with everything but Bryan in monochrome years ago. Still my favorite DBrine match

The Danielson/Morishima feud was so insanely good. Morishima had a great ROH run. It's ashame he had to retire early.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The one Morishima match where Bryan attacked him straight out of his entrance and timed it perfectly to get up on the guard rail right at the part of Final Countdown he usually get up on to the ropes to was fucking amazing.

I mean, the whole match and feud were great but that was something man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The one Morishima match where Bryan attacked him straight out of his entrance and timed it perfectly to get up on the guard rail right at the part of Final Countdown he usually get up on to the ropes to was fucking amazing.

Someone on Twitter linked to a Youtube video of exactly that segment when Bryan's return was first announced and it was every bit as amazing as you say. The guy just "gets it". It's electric.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He did. One of his matches was against Jamie Noble/James Gibson. If I'm not mistaken, I think Delirious also had tryout. 

And Vince saw him thought he was an out of shape slop and couldn't understand why he was getting a tryout

I might be using a little hyperbole there but not much

What Meltzer wrote at the time

The reason Harley Race was at Raw was because he’s NOAH’s U.S. rep and was involved with setting up Takeshi Morishima working tryout matches both in Chicago and Moline. The Japanese man he was sitting next to was from NOAH. That’s really weird that a GHC champ would work a WWE dark match, and that he would go over, even if it was Haas. He won in 3:00 with a missile dropkick. Virtually nobody in the arena knew who he was, but he looked good getting most of the offense and doing some power moves. In Moline, he pinned Noble, and was managed by Atlas. That caused a tremendous amount of buzz in Japan, because usually this kind of stuff is known in advance in the media there and it wasn’t, meaning everyone was wondering if that means WWE may look at signing Morishima. From the NOAH standpoint, the idea he could go there for a year or two while still being their guy and then come back after hopefully attaining WWE stardom as a guy to carry the company in the future is almost too good to be true. Of course, he’ll have to make it. He’s got the physique going against him, but he’s 6-3 and probably close to 320 legit and can move. He’ll need a manager, and I don’t know that Atlas is the right guy. Jim Mitchell would probably fit and be better since he’s never been in WWE. Plus, WWE wants to own its guys outright as opposed to using guys on loan and I can’t see NOAH willingly signing him over. Another aspect to figure is with WWE opening a Tokyo office full-time, perhaps they may want a good working relationship with NOAH. The company no longer has that isolationist mentality as they’ve talked business with other companies, but also do our knowledge haven’t struck any deals. Morishima’s name came up in 2006 briefly. Paul Heyman was looking to bring in Masato Tanaka for the new ECW, but it wasn’t going to happen. Laurinaitis knew who Morishima was through Race, and he’d also have connections because he spent most of his active career working for All Japan, and worked alongside all of the senior stars and many who run the office for NOAH. In 2006, NOAH didn’t want Morishima going to WWE so it never went anywhere. I don’t know if it was before or after NOAH and ROH made the deal, where they knew he’d be used as a superstar and get the title, whereas in WWE, it wouldn’t be the best thing if a guy they wanted to push as their future top guy was less than a top guy in WWE. As good a worker as Morishima is, it’s a completely different style of work that he does.

And doing a quick Google (and Ed reminding me) - part of the issue was Michael Hayes hated Morishima because people had dubbed him "the next Terry Gordy"

5 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I forgot he was nearly blinded in that feud so wrestled with an eyepatch. He's always been crazy.

Anyway, here's Ghetto Hogan in crisp HD glory

DY67T6HXUAAwld4.jpg

Hogan was hangin' out with his ni...brothas...that day.

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Vince saw him thought he was an out of shape slop and couldn't understand why he was getting a tryout

I might be using a little hyperbole there but not much

shows how much Vince actually knows about wrestling

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

What Meltzer wrote at the time

And doing a quick Google (and Ed reminding me) - part of the issue was Michael Hayes hated Morishima because people had dubbed him "the next Terry Gordy"

And Morishima wouldn't let Michael touch his van.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That was absolutely spectacular live. 

• Like 2