DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Its more they want to recreate the Austin/Vince angle with Rhonda and Steph

That is gonna get ugly quick

I'd say it's already ugly. Those segments on the ppv and Raw were brutal. 

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Sunny's been arrested again. Six counts of contempt/resistance/disobedience type charges. Based on court records and previous verdicts the court could choose to impose, she could face up to five years. 

Metzler says that if she's convicted, she'll serve her sentence at the Usos Penitentiary.

I'll show myself out.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

At least with Vince, the guy was willing to take a beating. Stephanie never gets what's coming to her. The closest she came was the Brie feud and even then they had to come up with something to protect her so she went over.

Where's that post that listed the several exceptions to this often-repeated "rule," I don't have the energy

12 hours ago, Victator said:

She is not so much a casual viewer as a captive audience; If you were not watching it, she would not be. Which is not a good barometer for who is over or can draw. 

I'd have to disagree there- usually a captive audience of "absolute NON-FANS, if you weren't watching, they would not be' people are a pretty good barometer of draw value, simply because then you're getting people who can tell you if someone looks like they have star quality to a non-wrestling fan. 

That is a very good barometer of people who may be able to get casual fans back or non-fans to stand up and take notice, as well as who in WWE may have the potential to be crossover stars- and wrestling fans are just too close to the action to ever truly know those things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

I'd have to disagree there- usually a captive audience of "absolute NON-FANS, if you weren't watching, they would not be' people are a pretty good barometer of draw value, simply because then you're getting people who can tell you if someone looks like they have star quality to a non-wrestling fan. 

Well no because they are absolute NON FANS. They are not going to watch and its stupid wasting energy on them. As opposed to people who are willing and excited to spend money on wrestling. 

Again it is stupid wasting any time, energy or money on non fans. That is what gets WWE in so much trouble and what kept TNA in shit. Trying to chase the mythical "casual fan."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Victator said:

I'll save you time. List times after 2002 she got a comeuppance. 

The bump in the Hunter vs Daniel Bryan match.

Vickie leaving (though it was mutual).

Shane's return?

That's it? I fully believe that it's not her who has that edict though.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The bump in the Hunter vs Daniel Bryan match.

Vickie leaving (though it was mutual).

Shane's return?

That's it? I fully believe that it's not her who has that edict though.

Roman flipping her over the top rope on Raw. Along with said Spear. 

I do think it is Steph who wanted to spend a grudge match working an armbar. 

4 hours ago, Victator said:

Well no because they are absolute NON FANS. They are not going to watch and its stupid wasting energy on them. As opposed to people who are willing and excited to spend money on wrestling. 

Again it is stupid wasting any time, energy or money on non fans. That is what gets WWE in so much trouble and what kept TNA in shit. Trying to chase the mythical "casual fan."

The casual fan is a necessity because the ratings are such a big deal. The next fans of tomorrow start as casual fans.

Saying focus on "the non-casual fan" (read: the smarks) just guarantees the ratings will drop, which means the show is more risky- because having a small but obsessed fanbase just is not sustainable. 

Heck, it's even easier for the casual fans since they're at least willing to just say "I like [X]. I want them to be World Champion because I like them" instead of trying to dress it up with metrics and stats and storyline excuses and not be willing to say "I just like [X] and I want them to be World Champion because I like them."

Well I don't really think casual fans exist. But you were saying energy should be spent on non fans and that is pissing money away. 

The biggest problem with WWE is they take their customers for granted. Assuming they will stay no matter what even as the audience shrinks. Right now they should focus on stopping the bleeding. 

• Like 2

this may be a novel idea, but with 5 hours of mainline programming every week, why not have something that appeals to everyone?  a combination of storylines that appeals to hardcore fans, casual fans, and Vince McMahon. this doesn't have to be an all or nothing ordeal.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The casual fan is a necessity because the ratings are such a big deal. The next fans of tomorrow start as casual fans.

Saying focus on "the non-casual fan" (read: the smarks) just guarantees the ratings will drop, which means the show is more risky- because having a small but obsessed fanbase just is not sustainable. 

Heck, it's even easier for the casual fans since they're at least willing to just say "I like [X]. I want them to be World Champion because I like them" instead of trying to dress it up with metrics and stats and storyline excuses and not be willing to say "I just like [X] and I want them to be World Champion because I like them."

Are ratings really that big of a deal anymore? I've always gotten the impression that, post-Monday Night Wars, as long as their ratings are better than a late night infomercial, WWE is fine b/c what they and USA really want is for them to keep pumping out content.

Random question, are there any places to get good wrestling related datasets in Excel? I've been using a lot of Power BI and Tableau and Power Pivot in Excel over the last two years at work and would like to actually do something fun with that sort of thing.

25 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Random question, are there any places to get good wrestling related datasets in Excel? I've been using a lot of Power BI and Tableau and Power Pivot in Excel over the last two years at work and would like to actually do something fun with that sort of thing.

Drew Gulak could probably help you with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Holy crap... She asks me to shave all the time and is very big on what we eat. We have been zero card for the last 18 months.

This, this actually makes a heap of sense.

I did 0 carbs for about 2 years and it's damn difficult and the weight will pile back on when you go off of it. I did it for powerlifting and stopped after having my complete shoulder replacement.

2 hours ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

I did 0 carbs for about 2 years and it's damn difficult and the weight will pile back on when you go off of it. I did it for powerlifting and stopped after having my complete shoulder replacement.

So even if you keep up the exercise/eating healthy (with carbs) the weight comes back with a vengeance?