DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Drop the trans arguments in this thread, it won't end well for anyone, stick to Newsradio. That's the hill to die on in Pro Wrestling discussion. Wait, what?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Back to Blackman, do you think he'd have gotten more over in the current environment? I mean, he was over during the Attitude Era, but always seemed to get saddled with goofy shit rather than being an out and out ass kicker - that last gasp gimmick with Grandmaster Sexay was cringe

I think that was his problem. They knew he was a legitimate badass and the crowd was sold on it, so he could do the goofy stuff and it wouldn't hurt him. On the other hand, it never took him anywhere either. He's on a long list of guys that should have been Austin foils and never got pushed as such. Bar brawler versus world class martial arts master writes itself. 

Incidentally, Blackman's introduction as a fan who jumped in the ring was crazy and misguided even in 1997. 

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just know that it isn’t as good when they had to replace Hartman with Jon Lovitz after Hartman’s death

The show was pretty much out of gas that last season regardless.  Definitely watch the early seasons, though.

Regarding Blackman, I never thought he'd get really over in any era.  Dude was/is a legit badass, but he didn't have a ton of charisma or mic skills.  We may be comparing him to Rhonda Rousey in ten years.

Re: Brock's contract, irrc, the issue was Brock working outside the US.  I think the court ruled that the WWE wasn't enforceable outside the US.  Am I remembering that right?   Memory is kinda hazy, so I could be wrong.  If so, someone correct me.

It boggles my mind that wrestlers still haven't gotten organized and challenged the validity of WWE contracts and especially the independent contract classification.

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Back to Blackman, do you think he'd have gotten more over in the current environment? I mean, he was over during the Attitude Era, but always seemed to get saddled with goofy shit rather than being an out and out ass kicker - that last gasp gimmick with Grandmaster Sexay was cringe

No, he wouldn't get over today, because they wouldn't even try to get him over.  During the Attitude Era, the WWF at least tried to find something for everyone to do.  These days, once you fall below a certain level in the midcard ("The Titus Line," if you weel), you're just there to fill time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Rogan's assertions about bone density, being "built different," and so on have no basis in science. As medical professionals have stated, hormone replacement therapy has a way of adjusting bone density, muscle mass, and eroding other advantages trans athletes may have. Sadly, the world seems far more interested to hear what a washed up stand-up comedian has to say than actual medical professionals, or sports governing bodies like the IOC and NCAA that have studied these issues.

Joe Rogan also believes in chemtrails and any number of other crackpot conspiracy theories.  So yeah, not really the guy to listen to when it comes to science.

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Joe Rogan also believes in chemtrails and any number of other crackpot conspiracy theories.  So yeah, not really the guy to listen to when it comes to science.

This isn't true. He's gone out of his way to debunk it and doesn't know why idiots like his idiot friend Eddie Bravo mistake the contrails from an airplane for chemtrails. 

The only Rogan take off the top of my head that I'm even familiar with  is his advocacy for DMT use. I'd probably never smoke it, but I've tried to access it through binaural meditation with pretty wild results. I'm sure he has all sorts of dumb ideas though. I've only caught him on other people's podcasts. 

12 hours ago, Casey said:

I saw no outrage directed towards Miesha Tate for saying she wouldn’t fight Fallon Fox due to physical advantages since she was born as a man. Or Matt Mitrione for calling her an “it”. Or Joe Rogan for expressing the same doubts as Tate did.

but Rousey is more famous than all of them, so she gets the flak for her opinion (which is pretty much the same as Tate, Rogan and even Dana White).

I assure you, as someone who was deep into following MMA at the time Fallon Fox was fighting that there was plenty of outrage at Mitrione at the time. And also a lot of people challenged Tate & Rogan for their takes as not being scientific.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

About Ronda being a terrible person: She's also a "Sandy Hook was a false flag" truther. She's the worst. Fuck that transphobic bitch.

The Sandy Hook thing is really upsetting to me, I had no idea about that. A lot of friends of mine in CT went to high school with one of the teachers who died. That certainly changes my opinion of her a bit.

15 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The only Rogan take off the top of my head that I'm even familiar with  is his advocacy for DMT use. I'd probably never smoke it, but I've tried to access it through binaural meditation with pretty wild results. I'm sure he has all sorts of dumb ideas though. I've only caught him on other people's podcasts. 

I'm way too scared to try DMT. Im not really particularly religious but I think there's gotta be a celestial reason of some sort that your brain only makes it when you dream and when you die.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Do I trust you two and give it a try, or stick to my guns and not watch because I see Andy Dick is a featured character. The choices.

Andy Dick's character is sooooooooooo the opposite of real life Andy Dick.  I am still crushing on Maura Tierney these many, many years later.  Keep in mind, though, the pilot episode is pretty tonally different than the rest of the series.  Matthew is definitely not the Matthew of the rest of the series, & Jimmy James isn't quite Jimmy James.  Not to mention they switch out the actress playing Katherine as well as the handyman character, which becomes the much better Joe Garelli ("your last name is Garelli?") played by Rogan.

There are very few things I have laughed harder at than Bill giving an artistic critique of Beth's naked-pics-but-with-a-bag-over-her-head, then sidling up next to Matthew to let him know what's going on (skip to about 14:30 for the scene).

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Idiotic words on a monitor

Just because you or someone else doesn't believe in something or like something, doesn't mean it's idiotic. Hell, there's a lot of stuff on here that I think is non-sense and I don't say a peep about it nor do I think someone shouldn't write what they feel. Censorship in any form is horrible. You have to take the good with the bad.

A message board is a curated space, which none of us have an inalienable right to access. By signing up, we consent to moderation. Terms of use is a pretty fundamental concept, that is very clearly not censorship. But that isn't even what's happening here, near as I can tell. People are calling bigotry what it is. If someone has a right to say stupid and/or awful things, people have a right (maybe an obligation) to call them on it. And while "sincerely held beliefs" might have legal weight, that doesn't render them beyond criticism--it's a two-way street. If Rousey, or someone else, sincerely believes transphobic shit, and I sincerely believe she's an bigot because of it, I'm not wrong for saying so. (And while we're at it, "Sandy Hook happened as reported by reputable news outlets" is fact; believing otherwise is wrong, if we're to believe in an objectively observable universe in which verifiable truth exists.)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Just because you or someone else doesn't believe in something or like something, doesn't mean it's idiotic. Hell, there's a lot of stuff on here that I think is non-sense and I don't say a peep about it nor do I think someone shouldn't write what they feel. Censorship in any form is horrible. You have to take the good with the bad.

You seem to provide a lot of the latter 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Censorship in any form is horrible. You have to take the good with the bad.

Demonstrably false.  Germany censors any expression of Naziism.  You can be jailed for that shit.  In America, we have out and proud Nazis marching every weekend.  You tell me with a straight face that they're doing it wrong and we're doing it right because we're not censoring these racist-ass chuclefucks.

• Thanks 8

What a spectacular flame out. I won't be heartbroken by his absence.

Anyway. Cena's in the Duke Nukem movie that came along about 15 years too late, just like the most recent DN video game. I'm sure the movie will do just as poorly.

I guess good for Cena for finding a way out of wrestling even if he is likely never going to approach the level the Rock is on unless he co-stars with the Rock in something. Hell, put Cena in that Hobbs and Shaw spinoff movie.

• Like 2