DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Hahahahahaha at Asuka vs Charlotte going on last. Not saying that wouldn't ever happen in any other year, but not this year. Steph is basically the face of the "women's revolution." It's her promo announcing the women's royal rumble that's used in every clip for the royal rumble. Steph will obviously be in the last match if given the chance and she will lose to Rousey by armbar.

Of course, I think that should only go on last if they can get the Rock to be in the match. Maaaaaybe Braun. I just don't think Angle works as well, but the draw is going to be Rousey anyway so maybe it doesn't matter who is her partner.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There are two - and only two - options: Brock/Reigns or the Mixed Tag Match

This is good to know since it means either way I won't have to stay up all the way through Mania. I hope these are the last two matches so I can check out even earlier. I haven't been this disinterested in Mania since Rock/Cena Twice in a life time. 

• Haha 1

Weirdly, I think this would've been one of the more interesting years for the tournament, as I don't really think there would be a runaway favorite like AJ last year or the foregone conclusion of a Bayley/Sasha final the year before.  The guys who arguably had the biggest year tend to be pretty divisive around here, so it would've been an interesting push/pull.  Probably would've been more like 2015, which I remember being a fun year (Cavernario made the semis!).

I can't even imagine how grating the reaction to the women going on last would be considering the almost orgasmic delight some people appeared to feel when Sasha/Charlotte in the cell wasn't that good. 

1 minute ago, Red is Dead said:

The rippa hates you division

The rippa really hates you division.

The rippa despises the ground you walk on division.

You're alr.....nope, he hates you too division.

Are these the brackets for a DVDVR posters tournament?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It'd be complete and total insanity to put this on last, and I certainly wouldn't put it past WWE to do it anyway.  But this absolutely needs AJ/Nakamura to be the main event.  

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that AJ/Nak is opening the show.

I think Rousey gets the main event slot.  And if you think the fans shitting on Reigns is going to be bad, wait until the crowd reacts to Stephanie McMahon beating the shit out of Ronda for five-ten minutes...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, EVA said:

Weirdly, I think this would've been one of the more interesting years for the tournament, as I don't really think there would be a runaway favorite like AJ last year or the foregone conclusion of a Bayley/Sasha final the year before.  The guys who arguably had the biggest year tend to be pretty divisive around here, so it would've been an interesting push/pull.  Probably would've been more like 2015, which I remember being a fun year (Cavernario made the semis!).

We can just say we had the tournament and Pete Dunne won it and call it good. There we go, the Year of the Bruiserweight!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

We can just say we had the tournament and Pete Dunne won it and call it good. There we go, the Year of the Bruiserweight!

I am honestly stunned you didn't pick Naito as your winner.  He had a really good year as well.

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I am honestly stunned you didn't pick Naito as your winner.  He had a really good year as well.

I pick Naito every year, I figure that I'm jinxing the poor guy... See, if I pick Dunne, then Naito wins and Dunne comes in as runner-up which is perfectly fine with me. I think we'll be seeing Mr. Dunne winning lots of these over the next decade or so. I swear the dude is the second coming of Johnny Valentine, and for a heel, higher praise than that simply doesn't exist. Both guys give off the vibe that they would enjoy nothing more than tearing off a limb and taking it back to the hotel to play with. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I pick Naito every year, I figure that I'm jinxing the poor guy... See, if I pick Dunne, then Naito wins and Dunne comes in as runner-up which is perfectly fine with me. I think we'll be seeing Mr. Dunne winning lots of these over the next decade or so. I swear the dude is the second coming of Johnny Valentine, and for a heel, higher praise than that simply doesn't exist. Both guys give off the vibe that they would enjoy nothing more than tearing off a limb and taking it back to the hotel to play with. 

That is some damn good reasoning, sir.  I need to see more Johnny Valentine but that's one helluva person to compare Dunne to.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The Ernie Ladd Division

The Ernest Miller Division

The Battle Kat Division

The Jaguar Yokota  Division

Your lack of Blue Panther hurts so so much

It's the WON HOF all over again

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I'm stunned at people being down on 'mania. On (tentative) paper, best 'mania card in years. Now, the booking is what it is, but between Styles/Nak, the proposed Charlotte/Asuka and Roman/Brock you have the potential for three high level one-on-one non-gimmick wrestling matches. You just don't have that anymore (in WWE).

Also, I legit laughed at Rousey getting the "Snooki" spot. Are people still thinking that she's not going to be featured as the biggest star in the company moving forward? She'll probably (and probably should) main event every PPV she competes in.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I'm stunned at people being down on 'mania. On (tentative) paper, best 'mania card in years. Now, the booking is what it is, but between Styles/Nak, the proposed Charlotte/Asuka and Roman/Brock you have the potential for three high level one-on-one non-gimmick wrestling matches. You just don't have that anymore (in WWE).

Also, I legit laughed at Rousey getting the "Snooki" spot. Are people still thinking that she's not going to be featured as the biggest star in the company moving forward? She'll probably (and probably should) main event every PPV she competes in.  

I'm liking what looks to be the two world title matches. Lesnar vs. Reigns is a rematch of one of the best WrestleMania matches ever and it's AJ Styles, the greatest wrestler in the WWE facing Shinsuke Nakamura in the match most wanted to see happen. I'm hoping that's it for Brock as I've hardly enjoyed him in 2016-2018 and taking the WWE Universal Championship with his hiatuses.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

That's why it's so crazy that after a shaky and somewhat poor build to Roman vs Lesnar the first time around, they were actively succeeding in getting Roman over with the WM 31 crowd. They totally went the Tommy Dreamer "Thank you sir may I have ANOTHER" route with Roman and Brock basically let Roman potato the shit out of him. EVERYTHING WAS WORKING. It was a fucking miracle as far as miracles in wrestling go. And then what happened, happened.

The crowd cheered Brock beating the shit out of Roman. They didn't necessarily cheer for Roman so no he wasn't getting over with the WM 31 crowd.

2 hours ago, Brysynner said:

I still think they go Asuka/Charlotte for the last match on the show. The undefeated Empress against WWE's Queen where Charlotte gets to do something her father never did which is end the show at Wrestlemania. Plus the company can say that the women have finally main evented a WrestleMania and not have to deal with that question coming up every year anymore.

That is not happening unless something happens to Brock, Braun, Roman, Rousey, Nakamura, Cena, Taker, and AJ. I think that is about right for the amount of people ahead of the two. The match if it happens will be good and probably get decent time, but they have done nothing to build it up. Asuka isn't super over enough for it. And even Charlotte has lost a good deal of momentum over the past year of mediocre-shitty SDL booking. I think we do eventually get a Women's Title match to Main event WM, but it will be with Rousey (probably vs Asuka or Charlotte)and with a lot more build.

• Like 1

From a wrestling perspective, it looks like it should be a great show. I expect Cena/Taker to be the worst match on the card, and if they're smart enough to pare it down to a bomb throwing sprint then even that could be pretty good.