DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

On 3/26/2018 at 10:53 AM, Technico Support said:

Seeing the McMahon family grinning with Trump in the oval office like a bunch of hicks who had finally made it to the big city did it for me.  Haven't watched their product since, won't watch again until the big orange turd is voted out or dragged out or Vince gives up the company or dies.

do you also not watch ROH because of its association with Sinclair?

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I saw no outrage directed towards Miesha Tate for saying she wouldn’t fight Fallon Fox due to physical advantages since she was born as a man. Or Matt Mitrione for calling her an “it”. Or Joe Rogan for expressing the same doubts as Tate did.

but Rousey is more famous than all of them, so she gets the flak for her opinion (which is pretty much the same as Tate, Rogan and even Dana White).

Mitrione can fuck off for that comment but the other two are valid points and to think otherwise or shout down people who do as monsters is pure ignorance. If you end up competing in a variety of athletics and sports when transitioning MtF you're at an advantage physically. Just by speaking out about that is not bigoted, it's not transphobic, it's scientific fact - as another example there's a variety of reasons that Laurel Hubbard was able to lift 19kg more than her nearest rival and it had little to do with ability

Hormone replacement therapy adjusts bone density, muscle mass, and negates many advantages transgender athletes supposedly have.  

"According to medical experts on this issue, the assumption that a transgender girl or woman competing on a women's team would have a competitive advantage outside the range of performance and competitive advantage or disadvantage that already exists among female athletes is not supported by evidence."

Rogan's assertions about bone density, being "built different," and so on have no basis in science. As medical professionals have stated, hormone replacement therapy has a way of adjusting bone density, muscle mass, and eroding other advantages trans athletes may have. Sadly, the world seems far more interested to hear what a washed up stand-up comedian has to say than actual medical professionals, or sports governing bodies like the IOC and NCAA that have studied these issues.

• Like 2

Back to Blackman, do you think he'd have gotten more over in the current environment? I mean, he was over during the Attitude Era, but always seemed to get saddled with goofy shit rather than being an out and out ass kicker - that last gasp gimmick with Grandmaster Sexay was cringe

8 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Uhh, yeah. Watch it. It ruled. 

Looking a bit deeper into it, I guess Phil Hartman and Dave Foley are in this too. And it's on Amazon Prime, so I guess I don't really have a reason not to give it a shot. Curse you two!

• Like 1

Drop the trans arguments in this thread, it won't end well for anyone, stick to Newsradio. That's the hill to die on in Pro Wrestling discussion. Wait, what?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Back to Blackman, do you think he'd have gotten more over in the current environment? I mean, he was over during the Attitude Era, but always seemed to get saddled with goofy shit rather than being an out and out ass kicker - that last gasp gimmick with Grandmaster Sexay was cringe

I think that was his problem. They knew he was a legitimate badass and the crowd was sold on it, so he could do the goofy stuff and it wouldn't hurt him. On the other hand, it never took him anywhere either. He's on a long list of guys that should have been Austin foils and never got pushed as such. Bar brawler versus world class martial arts master writes itself. 

Incidentally, Blackman's introduction as a fan who jumped in the ring was crazy and misguided even in 1997. 

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just know that it isn’t as good when they had to replace Hartman with Jon Lovitz after Hartman’s death

The show was pretty much out of gas that last season regardless.  Definitely watch the early seasons, though.

Regarding Blackman, I never thought he'd get really over in any era.  Dude was/is a legit badass, but he didn't have a ton of charisma or mic skills.  We may be comparing him to Rhonda Rousey in ten years.

Re: Brock's contract, irrc, the issue was Brock working outside the US.  I think the court ruled that the WWE wasn't enforceable outside the US.  Am I remembering that right?   Memory is kinda hazy, so I could be wrong.  If so, someone correct me.

It boggles my mind that wrestlers still haven't gotten organized and challenged the validity of WWE contracts and especially the independent contract classification.