DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Back to the Saudi Arabia show

Matches so far

The card for WWE's Greatest Royal Rumble in Saudi Arabia is starting to take shape.

Three matches for the show were announced this morning: John Cena vs. Triple H in their first singles meeting since 2010, a four-way Intercontinental Championship ladder match that features The Miz, Seth Rollins, Finn Balor, and Samoa Joe, and Raw Tag Team Champions Cesaro & Sheamus defending their titles against The Hardys. Both Jeff Hardy and Joe have yet to return from their respective injuries, but that's considered to be imminent.

The Miz vs. Rollins vs. Balor at WrestleMania 34 will decide who enters the Greatest Royal Rumble as IC Champion. Braun Strowman and a partner will also be challenging for Cesaro & Sheamus' titles at WrestleMania.

The Greatest Royal Rumble takes place at King Abdullah Sports City Stadium in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on April 27th (at noon Eastern time) and is the first event in WWE's ten-year agreement with the Saudi General Sports Authority. A 50-man Royal Rumble match is the event's marquee attraction, with all seven men's titles also set to be defended. There will be no women's wrestlers on the show, but female fans are allowed to attend.

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I can't link on mobile because I'm dumb, but I read a story today about rockets being fired at Saudi Arabia by a rebel group in Yemen, so let's hope shit isn't popping off by the time this event happens. 

That's been going on for a while. The Yemeni rebels aren't well equipped enough to do much damage.

Shane McMahon is currently recovering from acute diverticulitis and an umbilical hernia in a New York-area medical facility, WWE.com has learned.

Two weeks ago on SmackDown LIVE, McMahon announced he would be taking an indefinite leave of absence from his position as the blue brand’s Commissioner. Following that announcement, McMahon was brutally attacked by Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn. WWE medical staff initially diagnosed him with a laryngeal contusion and trapezius and rhomboid strains as a result of the beating. 

Following the vicious assault, McMahon went to the Caribbean with his family to rest and recuperate.  While there, Shane developed a massive infection due to acute diverticulitis and was hospitalized for several days in Antigua before being flown back to a New York-area hospital, where he is currently being treated with heavy doses of antibiotics. The doctors in New York have also discovered that Shane suffered an umbilical hernia during the attack, which will require surgery once the infection has been eradicated.

Stick with WWE.com for further updates on Shane McMahon’s status as they become available.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/article/shane-mcmahon-hospitalized?sf185553639=1

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Fuck every bit of that.  Give me the 4 kings of Ring of Honor in a  20 minute murder-fest.  Zayn/Owens vs. Bryan/Joe.  

That’s what I wanted too. They’re analogues in some ways so it’d be like the last third of any Marvel movie.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Just to clarify - it all started because of random internet speculation, not because anyone reported it

Some of it came from people made the leap because of Kid Rock and some people made the leap because of linking it to McCool

We should know either tonight or next week

I just figured it would make sense and add some continuity to the hat and coat being left in the ring last year. Not that wrestling "retirements" are set in stone and not worked or anything obviously but I think doing BikerTiker could preserve some of the uniqueness of that moment last April.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Seeing the McMahon family grinning with Trump in the oval office like a bunch of hicks who had finally made it to the big city did it for me.  Haven't watched their product since, won't watch again until the big orange turd is voted out or dragged out or Vince gives up the company or dies.

This would be strictly wrestling angles. Though the blow back to it making Vince put up a glowing tribute to Obama was very amusing. 

How has no one mentioned the Katie Vick angle in response to your question? That made me quit for a few weeks out of shame/so I could forget it happened because even 15 year old me thought it was dumb as fuck.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Casey said:

How has no one mentioned the Katie Vick angle in response to your question? That made me quit for a few weeks out of shame/so I could forget it happened because even 15 year old me thought it was dumb as fuck.

I was asleep the night it aired. But I had seen so much shit in the attitude era, I'm not sure it would have raised an eyebrow for me. I think if a fan was relatively new, it would have drove them off. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
18 hours ago, Victator said:

What are some wrestling angles that make you say "Fuck this, I'm done"? 

For me Fall Brawl 97 is at the top. There are things close to it. But those things could be justified easier. I wrote this on Twitter. The Horsemen losing to the nWo B-Team in Wargames was the point I really stopped giving a shit about WCW. That was a point where they told their oldest fans "You can leave, we don't really care." There is no reason Flair could not have made Syxx, Bagwell or Konnan submit. The nWo would have still been a threat.

If Hennig had to be in the nWo, he could betray Flair any other time. But Hennig did not need to be in the nWo. You really get the feeling that the Horsemen were being sabotaged. So Hennig was put in the nWo. Hell on a minor note, a year later Barry Windham turned on Flair. Which I think was done trying to make the Horsemen less over.

I've stopped watching a few times, but 1998 was a pretty rough year. I gave up on WCW because of Karl Malone and Jay Leno in back to back PPV main events, my local station airing ECW dropped them, and I really didn't like the Attitude Era in the WWF. I attended the airing of Raw from the Hampton Coliseum when they did the "DX invades the Norfolk Scope" thing, and to date it was the worst night of wrestling I'd seen live (although I did enjoy the Too Much/Matt Hardy & Jason Arhndt tag and the sheer weirdness of seeing Marc Mero vs. Ricky Morton that was taped for Shotgun before Raw). I got into joshi around that year and that's basically the only reason I kept watching wrestling. Eventually I branched into watching Japanese men's wrestling thanks to tape trades.

My interest in joshi waned when promotions that were Zenjo splinters like Arsion started getting splinters of their own like AtoZ and M's Style. Not really an angle but the shows just got really bad because talent was spread so thin. I've been slowly coming around to Stardom over the last couple of years though.

I started getting back into U.S. wrestling around 2005, then Eddie Guerrero died and the aftermath surrounding that made me stop (though I did start watching Shimmer when they started up). I tried WWE again in 2007 for maybe two weeks, then Chris Benoit did what he did. I only started watching WWE again because of the women's matches on NXT, but even then it's with trepidation because of the political ties that the McMahons have. I only watched TNA and ROH if I stumbled across it or there was a match that got a lot of buzz, but nothing they did made me want to see more.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

The Katie Vick thing never bothered me.  To me, it was a heel trying to humiliate a dangerous face by making allegations and playing mind games by pretending to get to to on with a dummy in a casket in order to play havoc with Kane's brain and either humiliate him enough to drive him off or make him so unstable that he'd get disqualified or suspended.  It was dumb but, to me, it was no dumber than Undertaker getting chokeslammed onto his parents' corpses, Austin threatening his boss with a gun, Angle using a tranquilizer gun on Big Show, beer trucks, milk trucks, sewage trucks etc. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, caley said:

The Katie Vick thing never bothered me.  To me, it was a heel trying to humiliate a dangerous face by making allegations and playing mind games by pretending to get to to on with a dummy in a casket in order to play havoc with Kane's brain and either humiliate him enough to drive him off or make him so unstable that he'd get disqualified or suspended.  It was dumb but, to me, it was no dumber than Undertaker getting chokeslammed onto his parents' corpses, Austin threatening his boss with a gun, Angle using a tranquilizer gun on Big Show, beer trucks, milk trucks, sewage trucks etc. 

Suddenly I'm questioning how much of my life I've wasted on this nonsense. ;)