DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I don't think this is overly political as it's rather non-partisan but it's totally worth a read as Deadspin asks Terry Funk who would win in a fight between Trump and Biden and Funk goes from being retired to cutting a promo on both in no time at all (My apologies if this was posted, I didn't feel like wading through pages of golden shower discussion)

http://deadsp.in/TArKzi7

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I used to be able to name every WWF/E champion in order and tell you when and where they lost the title. I can get up to about Cena and Batista's first reigns and that's it.

During the Royal Rumble I was actually going through that, though just who, not when and where. I got up to Cena over Edge and had zero clue after that.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

During the Royal Rumble I was actually going through that, though just who, not when and where. I got up to Cena over Edge and had zero clue after that.

That was the one where he held it a long time but got injured. So you had the Orton, Hunter, Orton exchange at the PPV. After that it seems like a blob of Cena, Orton and Batista.

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Starting with Flair in 88, I got to Hogan over Nash fingerpoke in early 99 and I have no clue after that.

I used to be able to do all 3 world titles from the start (48 for NWA, creation of awa and wwf) and the years. Not anymore. #oldman 

And with wikipedia et al, no real need to memorize trivia anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Where does the international Championship fit?

I could easily name the WWF Championship history up until the hot potato era.

They brought back the NWA title in 92. Then the nwa pulled out, but they already had tape off Rude defending the belt. They came up with the WCW International Board of Directors recognized Rude as world champion, while the US board recognized Vader. This went from October 93 until June 94 before they finally unified the two belts ahead of Hogan coming in to win it.

8 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Do you really need someone to explain to you why a joke about Omega and Ibushi urinating on each other is in poor taste?  Because I feel like it should be very obvious.

Whatever. Haters gonna hate...

...lovers gonna looooove...

...I don't even want...none of the aboooove...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Where does the international Championship fit?

I could easily name the WWF Championship history up until the hot potato era.

International was really only Rude, Sting, Rude, Vacant, Sting. Flair and retired.

I used to be able to do all the Worlds, but the hot potato era did me in.

What are some wrestling angles that make you say "Fuck this, I'm done"? 

For me Fall Brawl 97 is at the top. There are things close to it. But those things could be justified easier. I wrote this on Twitter. The Horsemen losing to the nWo B-Team in Wargames was the point I really stopped giving a shit about WCW. That was a point where they told their oldest fans "You can leave, we don't really care." There is no reason Flair could not have made Syxx, Bagwell or Konnan submit. The nWo would have still been a threat.

If Hennig had to be in the nWo, he could betray Flair any other time. But Hennig did not need to be in the nWo. You really get the feeling that the Horsemen were being sabotaged. So Hennig was put in the nWo. Hell on a minor note, a year later Barry Windham turned on Flair. Which I think was done trying to make the Horsemen less over.

I did not watch for three months after JR was forced to kiss Vince's ass. They were on probation after the Stephanie bought ECW angle. 

I don't think I have ever not watched. But it became if I had nothing to do I would watch. I started buying old tapes and was less invested in current TV, 

The angle that nearly made me tap out for good:

Daniel Bryan joining the Wyatt Family. 

There were unpopular heel turns, but this was one of the most blatant "they turned them heel just to say 'fuck you for liking him'. 

Yes, Bryan turned face two weeks later. 

The reason I can't tap out to WWE:

When the Bryan angle happened, I decided the only thing I could do- I refused to go to the Raw coming to the Dunkin' Donuts Center two weeks later. If they did this to the fans, I couldn't give them my money.

That show I missed was the one Bryan turned on the Wyatts in the cage to that huge reaction. And I missed being there live.

1 hour ago, Victator said:

What are some wrestling angles that make you say "Fuck this, I'm done"? 

For me Fall Brawl 97 is at the top. There are things close to it. But those things could be justified easier. I wrote this on Twitter. The Horsemen losing to the nWo B-Team in Wargames was the point I really stopped giving a shit about WCW. That was a point where they told their oldest fans "You can leave, we don't really care." There is no reason Flair could not have made Syxx, Bagwell or Konnan submit. The nWo would have still been a threat.

If Hennig had to be in the nWo, he could betray Flair any other time. But Hennig did not need to be in the nWo. You really get the feeling that the Horsemen were being sabotaged. So Hennig was put in the nWo. Hell on a minor note, a year later Barry Windham turned on Flair. Which I think was done trying to make the Horsemen less over.

Needed to happen to make Sting beating Hogan matter.

Course they screwed that up too.

Besides, wasn’t it a thing where the Horsemen never won War Games?  

I thought Bryan joining The Wyatts was a stupid angle because it was obvious he was just going to turn face again in short order, so I didn't believe for a moment that his turn was actually going to stick or amount to anything.

So many of the DX skits and other attitude era stuff was so cringey.  Luckily as bad as WCW got at the time it provided something else to turn on.

Katie Vick and Vince humiliating Trish were among the worst offenders.

3 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

Needed to happen to make Sting beating Hogan matter.

Konan submitting would not have had any effect on Hogan's heat. Or they could have let Flair beat Hennig to get revenge at the very least. 

The Horsemen won War Games in 91.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm legit curious: what did a War Games without Hogan or Sting in it have to do with making that result matter?

I would understand if it was Nash submitting. Or if it was a team with Nash and Hall. But this was Nash and the nWo B team. WCW did not mind jobbing out the B Team. That was the only reason you had extra members beyond the founders. Earlier in the show Giant beat Scott Norton clean. This was done strictly to bury Flair. 

It was just another stubborn attempt at WCW trying to get the fans to not give a shit about Flair. While Hennig in the Horseman is a dream scenario, his stock would have fallen aligning with them PLUS he was a WWF guy so everyone should've seen it coming. The Windham turn later on in the year? Yeah that sucked

9 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

When the Bryan angle happened, I decided the only thing I could do- I refused to go to the Raw coming to the Dunkin' Donuts Center two weeks later. If they did this to the fans, I couldn't give them my money.

That show I missed was the one Bryan turned on the Wyatts in the cage to that huge reaction. And I missed being there live.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2