DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

15 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Did you see the tweet that started all this?  Some dude tweeted at Meltzer that the Roderick vs Cedric match on 205 was great, and Dave's response was "You'd get to see matches that good every week if you watched someting besides WWE," which is douchey as hell.  Meltzer deserved to get dragged.

Well,  that is true, but without benefit of hearing voice tone, seeing body language, etc. it does come off as condescending as hell. In fact, making the assumption that all one watches is WWE  with absolutely nothing to base that on is rather patronizing at best, douchey as hell at worst. Still, all things considered, Bix is rather annoying and deserves to have his ears boxed on a regular basis. Hard to say whether or not being condescending or douchey  was Dave's intent, for someone who writes thousands of words every week, written communication has never been his strong suit.

22 minutes ago, OSJ said:

In fact, making the assumption that all one watches is WWE  with absolutely nothing to base that on is rather patronizing at best, douchey as hell at worst.

That's literally what Meltzer did, because the other guy's response was "Yeah, I do watch other promotions."

5 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Worst case scenario naming it after Burke:

"Who's Mildred Burke?"

"No fucking idea"

"Oh".

Nobody's gonna boycott the show because they don't know who the women's battle royal is named after. Nobody's gonna be like "I just can't get invested in this match since I don't know who Mildred Burke is". 

Even then, the best option would be to do like the indy scene's done in the last year with the "take bookings from Sexy Star and give them to Rosemary" or "take bookings from Michael Elgin and give them to Jeff Cobb" move of "we're not just taking a booking from you, we're giving it to someone who will make sure every fan KNOWS we're doing it to strike a blow over what you did". 

With that in mind, making it the Luna Vachon battle royal makes the most sense. A person WWE fans would know, but people who also know would know it's giving the honor to the one WWE alumni who was a confirmed victim of Moolah's sex crimes (not even just the "she took money from them", but the REAL bad stuff.) 

1 minute ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even then, the best option would be to do like the indy scene's done in the last year with the "take bookings from Sexy Star and give them to Rosemary" or "take bookings from Michael Elgin and give them to Jeff Cobb" move of "we're not just taking a booking from you, we're giving it to someone who will make sure every fan KNOWS we're doing it to strike a blow over what you did". 

With that in mind, making it the Luna Vachon battle royal makes the most sense. A person WWE fans would know, but people who also know would know it's giving the honor to the one WWE alumni who was a confirmed victim of Moolah's sex crimes (not even just the "she took money from them", but the REAL bad stuff.) 

Funny that you should mention this, I was just telling a friend yesterday that naming the event after Luna would make perfect sense and give no one cause for complaint.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

That's literally what Meltzer did, because the other guy's response was "Yeah, I do watch other promotions."

Also, Cedric/Strong was great. Just because there are other great matches happening doesn't mean he has to take away from those guys. Even if the tone of the tweet isn't as douchey as he meant, it's still very dismissive.

24 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

99% of the people that use Twitter would be better off if they didn't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

They treated Luna like shit when she was alive and I don't think they care about promoting her legacy now. 

I'm such an unrealistic optimist in hoping that WWE does the right thing every so often. ;-(

How about we just call it the “Honorary Trish Stratus Wrestlemania Women’s Battle Royale” 

She was pretty much doing or trying to do what the women are today in the ring but with way less talented ppl to do it with like 20 years ago and she still gets a reaction and is remembered.

Might as well start getting some people that are alive some credit since were already down to Jeff Jarrett HoF main event.

And most importantly we get to see Trish more perhaps and no I will not settle down because you know I’m right! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Funny that you should mention this, I was just telling a friend yesterday that naming the event after Luna would make perfect sense and give no one cause for complaint.

Luna's out for the same reason Chyna, Sherri, and Elizabeth would be. Death by drug overdose.

I was listening to The Bar on the Edge and Christian pod, and Shaemus said that The Bar got their name because at first they wanted to do a Thumbs Up during their entrance pose, but they felt that Trump ruined the " thumbs up".

So they did the halfway thumbs, it looked like a bar, so they workshopped it into "The Bar." :lol:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zartan said:

How about we just call it the “Honorary Trish Stratus Wrestlemania Women’s Battle Royale” 

She was pretty much doing or trying to do what the women are today in the ring but with way less talented ppl to do it with like 20 years ago and she still gets a reaction and is remembered.

Might as well start getting some people that are alive some credit since were already down to Jeff Jarrett HoF main event.

And most importantly we get to see Trish more perhaps and no I will not settle down because you know I’m right! 

My guess is in her early 40s, Trish does not want a battle royal named after her in place of a woman who was half dust in 1985. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I was listening to The Bar on the Edge and Christian pod, and Shaemus said that The Bar got their name because at first they wanted to do a Thumbs Up during their entrance pose, but they felt that Trump ruined the " thumbs up".

So they did the halfway thumbs, it looked like a bar, so they workshopped it into "The Bar." :lol:

There is no way they weren't drinking when they came up with that, is there?

11 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

There is no way they weren't drinking when they came up with that, is there?

Well, I’m sure Shaemus was but Cesaro doesn’t drink. It’s why he awkwardly doesn’t take a sip of the Guinness at the end of that bar brawl skit they did that established them as being on the same page. 

• Like 1