DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

There’s a guy who wrestles locally named Charlie Winston, and they shamelessly bill him as 6’9”. You can grab a pic with the dude at intermission and he’s 6’3 at best. They could have moderated their exaggeration to maximize the suspension of disbelief, is what I’m saying.

22 minutes ago, Control said:

There’s a guy who wrestles locally named Charlie Winston, and they shamelessly bill him as 6’9”. You can grab a pic with the dude at intermission and he’s 6’3 at best. They could have moderated their exaggeration to maximize the suspension of disbelief, is what I’m saying.

Don't take any pics with Big Cass.  You might be disappointed.

14 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Don't take any pics with Big Cass.  You might be disappointed.

Disappointed he's not seven feet tall or disappointed nobody else was around to get a picture with? Or both?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

That reminds me of when I went to a birthday party at the Monster Factory in like 99. It consisted of them letting us into a ring with crash pads instead of mats and a trainee in a ref shirt absentmindedly watching us beat the shit out of each other. 

Shit man, I'd want this for my 38th birthday party in July

• Like 6

Ok, we can talk about Liam but only if we pretend Pillman, the Hollywood Blonds, his feud with Barry Windham, his TV match with Rip Rogers, and an announcer who had a bunch of throat surgeries won all the other awards.

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hey! Rusev won Most Underrated

Happy Rusev Day!

(The rest went almost exactly like you thought they would)

I feel like this is the closest I can find to Brian Pillman vs Rusev (I mean there's the Mongolian Mauler too but come on. At least the Cuban Assassin is kind of great):

There was some a violent altercation that has been kept quiet since mid-February. There was a fight involving pro wrestlers Brian Lawler, 46 (better known as Brian Christopher and Grandmaster Sexay, the son of Jerry Lawler) and Jonathan Ryan Clark, 39 (Chase Stevens, who was best known as part of the tag team The Naturals in the early days of TNA). Lawler was badly beaten up, suffering a fractured skull, a broken nose, broken orbital bone and had teeth knocked out and was rushed to the hospital when police arrived. The report indicated that Lawler was intoxicated when police arrived and found him in the hotel lobby. There are stories that it could have been even worse had people working at the hotel not heard the commotion and stepped in. According to the police report on the case, the fight took place on 2/18 after 4 a.m. at the Fairfield Inn in Evansville, IN in Room 318. Clark, who was a Golden Gloves boxing champion when he was younger, was arrested and charged with battery causing serious injury. While there were reports circulating in wrestling that a weapon may have been used, the police report said the damage was done by fists. At one point a Go Fund Me was put up for Lawler’s injuries right after it took place, but claiming he was in an accident at home. It was since taken down, perhaps due to it coming out that story wasn’t true

6 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Man, I came here for the Observer takes. 

Yeah, went about the way you thought tho tag was a bit of a surprise this year. 

All of the yelling is on Twitter apparently (and I am fine keeping it there)

Another message board is the vehicle of hot takes today

Am I the only one bored by submission-based matches sometimes? I mean, Naito and ZSJ was great and Naito was great at selling at the submissions but I find babyfaces spending thirty minutes in submission holds before tapping kind of eye-rolling in 2018. I get if the story is that the heel is trying to torture the babyface but I just assumed Sabre had poor form to not be able to tap Naito for that long a time.

Maybe watching too much MMA ruined it for me, but if I see a babyface spend three minutes in a ankle-lock or armbar and refuse to tap I either lose all suspension of disbelief or just assume that the heel has no clue how to properly apply the submission. 

MMA has shown us that when a submission is properly locked it, the fight is over. Like, unless you're that Gracie who let his shoulder be popped out or fucking Miesha Tate refusing to tap, a properly hooked submission should end it pretty quickly, especially if it's a more realistic "real world" hold. Like, a guy can spend half an hour in a figure-four and I'm okay, but I'm just imagining Steph flailing for two minutes in Rousey's armbar and already getting annoyed

As much as I love ZSJ and Suzuki, when they're rocking the submissions for five minutes at a time it all becomes a bit melodramatic. Kurt Angle matches were probably the most egregious as I'm pretty sure Shawn Michael is still in a parallel universe fighting out of that Wrestlemania ankle-lock. 

To be fair, some wrestlers are doing  a better job at making submission holds more realistic but as a whole that type of match just tends to turn me off as compared to other styles. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Am I the only one bored by submission-based matches sometimes? I mean, Naito and ZSJ was great and Naito was great at selling at the submissions but I find babyfaces spending thirty minutes in submission holds before tapping kind of eye-rolling in 2018. I get if the story is that the heel is trying to torture the babyface but I just assumed Sabre had poor form to not be able to tap Naito for that long a time.

Maybe watching too much MMA ruined it for me, but if I see a babyface spend three minutes in a ankle-lock or armbar and refuse to tap I either lose all suspension of disbelief or just assume that the heel has no clue how to properly apply the submission. 

MMA has shown us that when a submission is properly locked it, the fight is over. Like, unless you're that Gracie who let his shoulder be popped out or fucking Miesha Tate refusing to tap, a properly hooked submission should end it pretty quickly, especially if it's a more realistic "real world" hold. Like, a guy can spend half an hour in a figure-four and I'm okay, but I'm just imagining Steph flailing for two minutes in Rousey's armbar and already getting annoyed

As much as I love ZSJ and Suzuki, when they're rocking the submissions for five minutes at a time it all becomes a bit melodramatic. Kurt Angle matches were probably the most egregious as I'm pretty sure Shawn Michael is still in a parallel universe fighting out of that Wrestlemania ankle-lock. 

To be fair, some wrestlers are doing  a better job at making submission holds more realistic but as a whole that type of match just tends to turn me off as compared to other styles. 

I'm with you.

Ronda's armbar will be protected. I don't see Steph or anyone else not tapping immediately. They'll slowly kill it for sure once the bloom is off the rose, but that happens to everyone's finishers. Even Cena  has to hit the AA three times consecutively for a convincing fall. 

Incidentally, Brock was a lot scarier that first year when he was snapping arms with the kimura than he has been since. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Incidentally, Brock was a lot scarier that first year when he was snapping arms with the kimura than he has been since. 

That period was my favorite of Brock since his return. I wonder why they dropped the kimura.